Re-setting up an established tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Re-setting up an established tank

Need some insight on tearing down and re-setting up a tank. I currently have about 4 inches of Eco-complete, but I want to switch the substrate over to Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate. So first question, any issues with taking out 2-3 inches of the Eco-complete (leaving an inch or so as a base layer) and then adding the new substrate on top?

My second question has to do with what I want to do with the fish during this process. I do not have a second tank to use for the fish, but I do have a large (62 L) tupperware tote that is laying around. Would this be a suitable temporary home for the fish for a few days? I could easily through an air stone, heater or even a filter on it for a few days.

I appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 04:17 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
1) I don't see why it'd be a problem other then losing some of your bb. How big is your tank?

2) I do the same but with a 45 gallon "rectangle" shape trash can. Unplug heater, fill the trash can and move heater and filters to trash can until I'm ready to move them back to the tank. Definitely run your filter/s on the tub though so you don't lose that bb in the process. I usually dump a bottle of safe start in too if I've gone that far in but you don't have to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Milligan View Post
Need some insight on tearing down and re-setting up a tank. I currently have about 4 inches of Eco-complete, but I want to switch the substrate over to Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate. So first question, any issues with taking out 2-3 inches of the Eco-complete (leaving an inch or so as a base layer) and then adding the new substrate on top?

My second question has to do with what I want to do with the fish during this process. I do not have a second tank to use for the fish, but I do have a large (62 L) tupperware tote that is laying around. Would this be a suitable temporary home for the fish for a few days? I could easily through an air stone, heater or even a filter on it for a few days.

I appreciate any help I can get!

Thanks!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 12-24-2016, 08:37 AM
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
^^

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shane P.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode