Tank and substrate swap - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Tank and substrate swap

I am getting ready to replace my 150g acrylic tank to a 150 or 180g glass tank (done with scratching) right now the tank has fish, plants, and a sand bottom. I would like to change to something better for growing plants.
I plan to put the fish in a large plastic storage tub from Lowe's with a heater, airstone, sponge filter, and half the water from the tankand half new water. How long can the fish live like this as I will need to do this the day before they deliver the new tank also how long for the new substrate to settle down? not sure if what I'm using yet. I was told not to feed 2days before and they can stay in the tub for days by the tank store (LFS)
I have a large sump full of sponge etc. to start the new tank with.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:35 PM
Algae Grower

Less than a year ago, my 55 sprung a leak and I had a bunch of fish. I split them up into 3, five gal buckets, 5-10 fish per bucket (depending on size), with bubble stone and sponge filter in each one. I also put the biomedia and some substrate from the 55 in each bucket. I did 50% water change about every 4-5 days and replaced water lost through evaporation every other day. All the fish seemed to do alright except I did however, loose 2 bala sharks and a long fin black skirt tetra to stress. They stayed in buckets for 2 1/2 weeks. I fed very little about every 3-4 days. Some of them didn't eat at all, but most just a bite or two. I found someone who wanted to get rid of a tank (75 gal) that was taking up room in their garage. When I finaly introduced them to their new tank (75 gal) they were soooo very happy and they've done awesome ever since. Except for I just lost an ageing zebra danio about a week ago.

I'm sure your tubs are alot bigger than 5 gal buckets so with proper care, your fish should do just fine, for probably quite a bit longer than two weeks.

About your substrate??...When I set up the 75, I didn't wait at all. I did dirt, topped with creek gravel. I planted it, and added the fish. Everything has been awesome ever since!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-12-2016, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the reply. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Maybe a moderator can move it?

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 01:39 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_h View Post
Thanks for the reply. I just realized I posted this in the wrong section. Maybe a moderator can move it?
I have moved your thread

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 03:57 AM
Wannabe Guru

A tote is a great way to go. A concern could be ammonia build up so make sure you 'wash' your filter media in the tote so the sponge filter will do it's job (an instant cycle). As a mater of fact, you might store your filter media in the tote as well so the bacteria remains active when you put everything back together.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-13-2016, 09:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Good idea's once I get the nerve up I might just attempt this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode