What Algae Is This and How Do I Get Rid of It? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What Algae Is This and How Do I Get Rid of It?

I have a 2.5g nano with that has some algae on the plants I would like to get rid of. I am posting a pic below. I am using LED lighting (due to lower heat) which I have going for about 6 hours. This is a “simple” tank with no added CO2 or anything but I dose with Excel daily (6 or 7 drops). When I started using the Excel about 5 months ago my plants did much better but over time this is the result. Should I use more, less, or something else in addition.

Also, I have figured out I have a snail issue going on. I hadn’t realized it was so bad since I usually only look at my tank in detail when the lights are on. However, a few days ago I took a good look at another time when it was dark and there were lots and lots of the little buggers. As soon as the lights come on they all fade back into the depths.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Looks like Clado or Spiro, and if that is the case, then the only thing really that can be done is extensive manual removal.

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 01:49 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Looks like clado as stated. Nothing will kill it except removal and lower the lights to slow down the growth. It probably hitched a ride with your marino?sp ball there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
"LED lighting" could mean very low light or very high light or anything in between. All algae love high light, so reducing the light intensity is almost always a good step if you have an algae problem.

Hoppy
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
Looks like clado as stated. Nothing will kill it except removal and lower the lights to slow down the growth. It probably hitched a ride with your marino?sp ball there.
Thanks all. After these tips and some more research I also agree it is clado. Looks like I have to set some time aside for some manual cleaning of my plants

And while it may have came in with the marino, I doubt it since I have had those for several years now and this algae is a new(er) thing.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-24-2010, 07:23 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (49/100%)
Remove it with a toothbrush Shrimp will not touch that algae

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode