osmocote overdose - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:21 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
osmocote overdose

next time ill have to do a little more research .. so i ordered some osmocote plus in capsuls and i put about 5 or 6 in the substrate about 2 inches down in my dhg and under my bacopa caroliniana or whatever its called .. next day i test my water find everything has spiked like crazy so i quick do a 50% water change waited an hour and tested the water again and still everything is way up so the next day which is today i did another 50 % water change and tested the water .. no change everything is still high .. its not the tap water it has to be the osmocote ... so i stuck my 3 guppies in the 5.5 ive been cycling along with a sponge prefilter from their tank and went to petsmart and bought some water wisteria and some temple compacta hoping that more plants along with frequent large waterchanges will help the problem clear itself up ... my dhg is much more vibrant right now ... anyway heres my tank im sure others have been through this .. is there any negetive effect on the plants?

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:29 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
When you say everything spiked, what parameters are you referring too? I doubt it's the osmocote, it's a time release fertilizer and you didn't put a whole lot in there.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:32 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

amonia went up to 2 ppm nitrite is still at at least 2 ppm nitrate is at least 40 .. 40 and 80 are pretty close on the scale .. out of my tap i have 0 amonia 0 nitrite and 5 ppm nitrate

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 06:49 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Read this and there are several other threads regarding your issue.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8-...-osmocote.html
Econde and Econde like this.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 02:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram Nosiren View Post
next time ill have to do a little more research .. so i ordered some osmocote plus in capsuls and i put about 5 or 6 in the substrate about 2 inches down in my dhg and under my bacopa caroliniana or whatever its called .. next day i test my water find everything has spiked like crazy so i quick do a 50% water change waited an hour and tested the water again and still everything is way up so the next day which is today i did another 50 % water change and tested the water .. no change everything is still high .. its not the tap water it has to be the osmocote ... so i stuck my 3 guppies in the 5.5 ive been cycling along with a sponge prefilter from their tank and went to petsmart and bought some water wisteria and some temple compacta hoping that more plants along with frequent large waterchanges will help the problem clear itself up ... my dhg is much more vibrant right now ... anyway heres my tank im sure others have been through this .. is there any negetive effect on the plants?

Is your tank cycled? Was there fish in there while you tested?
Could be just your tank is cycling which those numbers would be normal.

What size tank? I would add about 4 or 5 tabs in my 40b as deep as o could.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-10-2016, 03:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

xycling wouldnt explain everything climbing right back instantly after 50 % watet changes would it

tank is newly set up about a month ago but the way its reading really dont want to harm my fish .. water is still cloudy and its not algae so it must be bacteria .. the osmocote must be realeasing a bunch of ammonia that my biofilter wasnt ready for .. have not retested yet since the fish are safe and i dont think the plants are in any danger . but ill probably check it out tomorrow and do another water change

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-11-2016 at 11:29 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 02:09 PM
Wannabe Guru

Many/most terrestrial fertilizers use urea which results in a significant ammonia spike when used in an aquarium. Osmocote and others are slow release in soil, but not in water and it's even worse if the gel cap is not pushed very deep in the substrate. The resulting ammonia spike may be tolerated by plants, but may not by fish!!!
Frankly, for the sake of fish, although more expensive, modest use of root tabs designed for aquarium plants is perhaps a better investment.
Also, as your plants grow and you effectively have more plants, you may need to up your fert dose to accommodate their growing needs - even though some plants are technically 'root feeders', ferts in the water column will also fertilize these plants.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Many/most terrestrial fertilizers use urea which results in a significant ammonia spike when used in an aquarium. Osmocote and others are slow release in soil, but not in water and it's even worse if the gel cap is not pushed very deep in the substrate. The resulting ammonia spike may be tolerated by plants, but may not by fish!!!
Frankly, for the sake of fish, although more expensive, modest use of root tabs designed for aquarium plants is perhaps a better investment.
Also, as your plants grow and you effectively have more plants, you may need to up your fert dose to accommodate their growing needs - even though some plants are technically 'root feeders', ferts in the water column will also fertilize these plants.
yea im done with the osmocote .. i want to start ei dosing .. but im going to hold off on that til i have a better understanding of it

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 05:07 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sucram Nosiren View Post
yea im done with the osmocote .. i want to start ei dosing .. but im going to hold off on that til i have a better understanding of it
As I understand EI from Tom Barr's primer is that you fertilize a bit high (ensuring the plants have all the nutrients they need) and then do a somewhat large (say 50%+) weekly water change (and then re-fert). Eventually as you get dialed in, you can cut back on ferts (and perhaps the volume of the WWC?) to obtain a sufficient nutrient level w/o overdoing it. This can be a little tricky as when plants grow and their mass increases, so does the fert requirements. Now some of this is likely offset by trimming.
I tried the reverse in that my tank was a well established (as in years) fish only tank when I upgraded lighting and planted. For several months the plants grew like gang busters with very little added ferts. After about 6 months or so, the growth slowed significantly and plants began to look mediocre. Increasing the ferts is now bringing them back.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-11-2016, 07:02 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

for now i think im going to get some phosphorus i think it is and continue dosing flourish ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
As I understand EI from Tom Barr's primer is that you fertilize a bit high (ensuring the plants have all the nutrients they need) and then do a somewhat large (say 50%+) weekly water change (and then re-fert). Eventually as you get dialed in, you can cut back on ferts (and perhaps the volume of the WWC?) to obtain a sufficient nutrient level w/o overdoing it. This can be a little tricky as when plants grow and their mass increases, so does the fert requirements. Now some of this is likely offset by trimming.
I tried the reverse in that my tank was a well established (as in years) fish only tank when I upgraded lighting and planted. For several months the plants grew like gang busters with very little added ferts. After about 6 months or so, the growth slowed significantly and plants began to look mediocre. Increasing the ferts is now bringing them back.
that doesnt sound too complicated ... i just ordered the pps pro fertilizer kit from greenleaf aquariums .. hopefully i can figure it out lol

this is after a 30 percent water change today and the ammonia is at 0 now .

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-12-2016 at 11:36 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode