Storing Plants for Main Planting - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:30 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Storing Plants for Main Planting

I will be buying my plants this week from about 3 or 4 different sellers here on this site. This will be my first build/planting so I'd like to do one group planting on a saturday or sunday when I have received all the plants. As I receive the groups of plans, can I simply store them in a bucket full of water with a small circ powerhead and a light over them for 3 to 5 days?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
-shrug- I've done worse and had the plants come through just fine

Whiskey
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
i usually just float them in the tank that they're going in untill i'm ready to plant. this helps them acclimate to your tank a little bit also

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

So the tank is not started yet, and this will be the first main planting. So if I place the soil, fill the tank, get the filtration going and then just float the plants then when I have all the plants received, I drain the water into buckets and then plant and re-fill with the saved water? do I run a light on them with them floating in the tank? or maybe just put them in a large rubermade 30 gallon container with a powerhead and use that water when I plant them in the display tank?
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

if the tank isnt set up yet i wouldnt bother filling it up first.

i would prob just go with your idea with the bucket and maybe an airstone to keep the water circulating a little. you dont need to use the water if you dont want either
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thanks for the input. Do you think I need to run some lighting on them in the storage container? Is there a benefit to use the water from the storage bin when I plant and fill up the display tank? I don't have an air stone/ air pump so I'll use a small powerhead with the air line on the nozzle.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

i dont think its necessary to put light on it. and no there is no benefit to using the water from the bin
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
I've kept some plants still in the ziplock bag for up to 2 weeks, and they are fine. lol

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 12:49 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnikkistar View Post
I've kept some plants still in the ziplock bag for up to 2 weeks, and they are fine. lol
How did you manage this without (or was it with) light?

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 01:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i had some microsword that i had intended on shipping but my buy fell through and i forgot they were in the bag. they made it just short of 3 weeks
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:21 AM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
How did you manage this without (or was it with) light?
I dunno to be honest. lol

I forgot about the mini pella I bought from someone on here. Left it next to my tank still in the ziplock with some of my tank water in it that I had put in when I first got it. Picked it up yesterday, as I was about to throw it out, and low and behold, it was fine. lololol

I am guessing it got some light from my window or my fixture. I don't even know how its still alive.

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 04:35 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Wow, I guess I won't worry about them! I'll just put them in a rectangular container with some water! Should be fine for a day or two before I plant. Anyon have any ideas on the peat moss to buy at home depot or lowes?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 06-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Wannabe Guru

It really depends on the plants. There are some delicate species that can't be removed from CO2 enriched conditions for more than 2-3 days. Most plants will do fine up to about a week, many can last multiple weeks in a bag just fine.

You don't mention if your tank will have CO2 or not. If you are not planning on CO2 supplementation, keeping the plants in a bucket with a bubbler and a small amount of light is a good idea.

If you are planning on adding CO2 to the tank, adding it to any storage container will really help the health of the plants.

Seriously though, if we aren't talking about Toninas or needle leaved Rotala or something of that nature, keeping them in the bag in a dark area will probably be just fine.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode