diy co2 p.s.i - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
diy co2 p.s.i

anyone know how how many p.s.i that a diy co2 mixture is capable of producing?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 10:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
I've heard (didn't happen to me), that the pressure can get to the point it will burst a 2liter bottle. If that's the case, then it'll be around 100-150psi. I've tested how much pressure they can take making water rockets with my kids so I can tell you that much.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i was wondering if you could build a diy co2/ pressurized system using an old soda canister (like the ones from the restaurants)

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

A lot of people have investigated this. I can tell you a way to do it if you want to spend a little bit. Either buy a bicycle tire pump that you can modify, or build one using some PVC and some heavy-duty check valves (There are ideas on building the handpumps on youtube).. the check valves you can get at Lowes work for this. Make it so your DIY CO2 bottles run to balloons and fill them. Attach the hand pump to the ballon, and pump it into the collection bottle. You'll have to run a few DIY CO2 bottles at once to get enough CO2 pumping out to do it, but within a couple days you'll have enough to get some pressure to last a couple weeks. (if you run enough DIY CO2 bottles that is.) Only thing you have to do is make sure to purge the pump and the bottles by running CO2 through the pump before attaching it to your collection bottle, and then purge the bottle by pressurizing it a few times and releasing the pressure, but not letting it get to 0 (or atmospheric pressure).

I did this a long time ago before I built a DIY pressurized paintball unit. I have another really cool method of getting low pressure CO2 that I've been working on for a while, but not quite done enough to reveal the technique. I have a few more bugs to work out then I'll be putting together a thread on how it works.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:42 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i was thinking of hooking up a regulator right to the soda tank
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 01:58 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

DOH! I misinterpreted your post. I thought you meant that you were intending to use the canister to store the CO2 made by DIY CO2.. so you want to know if you can hook up a regular CO2 regulator to the canister.. As long as the canister has a CGA-320 thread on it, it'll work. I couldn't tell you if it does or not, but as it is a CO2 canister for making soda, I would imagine it would. I would check around on some brewing equipment sites to make sure unless someone else here knows and jumps in.

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:06 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

i know that they can only handle a certain psi though so i was just wondering how many psi that the yeast can possibly produce. if noone can give me a definitive answer i may have to experiment.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:07 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
The pressure for those soda kegs comes from a co2 tank just like the ones we buy for aquariums. The kegs themselves can hold some pressure, but the walls are thin. A lot of people use those kegs for homebrewing, and to get carbonated beer via this method they apply something in the neighborhood of 20 psi from their co2 tank. The co2 is in dissolved gas form and isn't very much volumewise. A soda keg full of soda, not hooked to a co2 tank, is flat. I don't think they could hold alot of pressure due to their large area and thin walls. 150 psi over 4 square (that would be a tank .6 feet in diameter, and 2 feet tall) feet is 86,400 lbs pushing on the insides of a tank. If you hook a regulator to a container like this, and it doesnt bleed off fast enough, well... I'm sure you can see where this could lead to problems. I can't remember if they have a safety valve or not, but they probably do. I'm not saying it would rupture, but I would be very nervous myself.

Last edited by Sharkfood; 06-22-2010 at 02:17 AM. Reason: math was off
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
As long as the canister has a CGA-320 thread on it, it'll work
They have 1/4 turn ball lock valves.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

the ones that i have access to do have pressure release valves but i also have some plugs that are made to replace though. this is what i have http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=1
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:24 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I think the safety plug blows at 1600 psi. and the technical term for "those soa kegs" is a corny or cornelius keg if you want to google further research. Experimenting with a keg and how much psi it will handle is risky business and could produce death or a giant hole in your roof. I blew up a 6.5g glass carboy one time when a cherry seed plugged the blowoff tube and shortly after repainted 4 romms and replaced 3 carpets.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

i Had a similar situation where wort fermented too fast and blew the stopper out even with the airlock open. If the plug only blows at 1600 psi, that doesnt seem very safe. That's nearly 2 times the pressure in a tank of liquid CO2 at STP. DIY CO2 would never reach 1600 psi so if those kegs really do hold up to that pressure, then there's nothing to worry about. Maybe we aren't talking about the same containers. I'm thinking of the liquid Pepsi kegs you'd use for fountain drinks.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 04:07 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
My co2 tanks get filled to 1600 psi for a 20lb steel bottle every time. Maybe there is a differance in the aluminum vs steel bottles or 5lb vs 20 lb? And yes, corny kegs or soda fountain kegs.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Mine reads about 900 lbs right from the supplier. Maybe they're not compressing it enough to form liquid. If they could be putting more co2 in there, or maybe my cheapo regulator is just way off on calibration.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
My co2 tanks get filled to 1600 psi for a 20lb steel bottle every time. Maybe there is a differance in the aluminum vs steel bottles or 5lb vs 20 lb? And yes, corny kegs or soda fountain kegs.
The pressure in a partially filled CO2 tank, as they are supposed to be, will be no more than 1000 psi, even if it is very warm. But, if you make a mistake and fill the tank completely with CO2, the pressure can be as high as the relief valve lets it go to. The danger comes from the fact that filling a CO2 tank with liquid CO2 always involves very, very cold CO2. When that warms up to room temperature the liquid expands with the temperature, and the pressure is limited only by the strength of the bottle - the elastic modulus. Any CO2 bottle showing 1600 psi on the gage is 100% full of liquid CO2 and a dangerous thing to have around.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode