winterizing the tanks - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By JJ09

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-04-2016, 11:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
winterizing the tanks

I just insulated my aquariums for the winter- we are maybe getting some light snow this week. Last year when we had a large snowstorm and power was knocked out for a while, I had momentary panic figuring out how to wrap wool blankets around the tanks to keep them from loosing heat too quickly.

This year I'm trying to be proactive about it, plus maybe save a little heat cost (although I bet it is minimal part of my total electricity bill) thru the cold months by insulating the tanks. Have some large 2.5" thick sheets of styrofoam that just fit between the tank and outside wall of the house. On my bigger tank the space behind is a bit wider, adding a thick towel holds the styrofoam in place nicely.

Anybody else take measures like this? My family thinks I'm going a little overboard with it...

Confession: I used to keep bettas in gallon bowls. During the winter I put their bowls on top of the fridge under a heat vent for warmth (another thread just reminded me of this). When we lost power that year, I wrapped the betta bowls in wool scarves. It worked surprisingly well as a temporary measure.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I agree with your family :-) I just keep the house at a normal temperature and have a portable generator on standby in case of power outages.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Well, we don't have a generator...

Every winter we loose power at least once or twice. Usually it is not out for more than half a day- if it does go out I would wrap blankets anyway, just having the styrofoam in place makes it so I don't have to wrap the back of the tank- I don't know if it stalls heat loss enough to save me lots of effort though.

|
|
|
|

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 05:34 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I didn't own a generator either until I started dumping a ton of money into fish tanks lol. You can pick up a small portable one for relatively cheap. Fish are actually pretty resilient to drops in temperature...it is the lack of gas exchange that will kill them much sooner than the temp slowly dropping. I actually had my reef tank go without power for several hours in the middle of a Cleveland winter prior to purchasing the generator. I ended up not loosing any fish or inverts just by stirring the tank with a wooden spoon.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode