would this bulb work in a planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
would this bulb work in a planted tank?

http://www.fosterandsmithaquatics.co...3&pcatid=13313

i have the 50/50 bulb so its half 10,000 k and half actinic

i plan to have this lighting in a 20 gallon tall and i was wondering will this bulb support plants, i know the 10,000k would be better but i dont want to spend $55 on a light bulb unless i have too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
You can buy equivalent bulbs at http://www.ahsupply.com/bulbs.htm for half of that price. Light from actinic bulbs makes the aquarium look terrible in my opinion.

Hoppy
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Planted Member

Well, I've heard that actinic light does not do much for plants and they prefer more of the 6,700 K spectrum.. 10K is little high.. Are you planning on putting that 96 watt bulb over a 20 gallon? It's going to be a whole lot of light, maybe to much.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 10:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Actinic bulbs also do nothing to help aquarium plants grow.

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 11:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

IMO the most lacking of light temperature comes from the blue, which then creates an overabundance of red, thusly causing long, scraggly, stemmy plants. The blue drives a more bushy feeling to the plants, but plants do require light from both ends of the spectrum, red perhaps more-so. 10000k would work, paired with a 6700k. Or even an 18000k paired with a 6700k. They all differ as far as the spectrums go, so you will have to look at the analysis either on the web-site or on the box.

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

is 96 watts too much for a 20 gallon tank?

thanks for the link hoppy, i might be getting a 15 gallon tall because the light fixture is 20" and a 20 gallon would be too wide

what about a 10,000k 36 watt bulb? or would a 6700k or 5500k be better
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

96 watts is way too much.

10,000K, 6,700K or 5,500K.... any K number are numbers that tell us what the overall look of the bulb will be, but not which wavelengths are emitted by the bulb. However, if that is all I had to go on, I would get any 2 of them, mix them up in hopes that they would include the wavelengths the plants need, and still look good to me.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

the higher the kelvin rating, usually means the bluer the wavelengths. the lower usually means more red. 6700-10000 usually include peaks in both the red and blue spectrums. 18000 usually has peaks in the blue/purple with small peaks in the red and tending towards the green or yellow. This is the bookmarked page i have on visible and ultraviolet spectography which I think someone posted on ThePlantedTank, and might have been Hoppy ...

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 03:45 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the info guys, do I really need to combine two of the bulbs or would just one of them be sufficient for a small tank
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 02:08 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skools717 View Post
Thanks for all the info guys, do I really need to combine two of the bulbs or would just one of them be sufficient for a small tank
Though I recommend more research on the subject (because it is really interesting) what your looking for is peaks in the blue and orange/red light spectrums. If you can find a 6700k that has these then you only need one bulb. If you can find a 10000k that has these, then you only need one. After that you are talking about intensity and the addition of bulbs or kelvin rating is the only way to get that.

post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-21-2010, 09:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

So I got a 20 gallon high what would be the ideal bulb and wattage for the tank if I used one bulb
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 02:27 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

t5-HO for sure, but again, to pick one depends on the spectral graph. Check out the fixture first, see what light bulb fits in it (i.e. T5HO 18", 20", 24") then go to the bulbs manufacturer, usually online, and see if they have spectral graphs. Again, you are looking for peaks in the blue/orange/red. Noticable peaks. Remember that with T5HO comes high-tech responsibilities. You may be at Medium lighting, but with the intensity that T5HO gives off, you will need to look into pressurized co2, or a stringent diet of DIY CO2 and excel.

post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 03:35 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
When I bought bulbs for my t5ho, I went with the 10k powerglo because they showed a larger spike in the red side of the spectrum than the 6.7k. Of course, that was back when I was listening to LFS employees who told me I needed 6 million watts of light on my 65g. The 6-7k bulbs always look a little yellow to me, so I still go with the higher color temperature purely for aesthetics. I don't think it makes much difference between 6-10k as far as plant growth is concerned since most of us are over doing the lighting anyway. Actinics look weird in a freshwater tank IMO though, so I'd stay at 10k or less.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I need a square pin compact flourecent bulb and I can only find the regular flurecent t5 bulbs

I have a 20" coralife light fixture

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode