Whoops! Almost gassed my fish... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Whoops! Almost gassed my fish...

So the used regulator I bought was a waste of $58... According to a LFS worker, the diaphragm was blown on it, and was spewing co2 all over the place. So, defeated, I decided I'd just go buy a brand new one with my next paycheck, because I have too many things I need to get with this one.

I made up a new solution of DIY co2 last night (which I had been holding off on for the last two weeks), then forgot about it. My new drop checker I installed out of excitement a few days ago was a dark blue when the lights turned out. This morning, when my lights turned on, all my rainbows were at the top, gasping. The corys and otos seemed just peachy, but they did race up to the top a few times and gulp some air (glad I have an open top). The drop checker was pale yellow! I quickly dumped a half gallon of RO water (all I had, no car to get more at the time), and placed an airstone about 4" into the tank.

Everyone seems much happier now. The males are all back to "fighting" with each other (I bought two more females earlier this week, making the ratio 5m/3f. They have to re-establish the pecking order). If the males have the gusto to be flaring and nipping at each other, and I think they'll be ok. The fry that are in the tank are just peachy.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Yes.. this is the sucky part of DIY CO2. Either my culture is going nuts, or it's not producing enough it seems. I run it on an airstone though so when it is going crazy, not as much is diffused into the tank. I think I'm about to go back to my paintball setup. I just have to replace a couple parts that were leaking but at least I can get some stability!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Yeah, stability is an issue. It's one of the reasons why I decided to go for broke and sock some money into a system. It's hard to swallow that $58. It could have been used for much... namely, a new quarantine tank because my daughter threw a hairbrush at it (2yo has a strong arm! Broke the glass...)... Fortunately the two little rainbow ladies in it were going to be "graduated" the next day anyway (although they hid for a while)...

But, no use crying over spilled milk. I'll jut spend the $120 for a brand new, that my LFS will set up for me, and know my money went to a good cause. I adore my LFS!

And this paycheck I'll have to suck it up and buy a new qt... *sigh*

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Rita Mae Brown

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:27 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I love you sig by the way! Did you used be a Uper?

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:19 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
What regulator are you gonna buy?
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (6/100%)
If you need a QT tank I've heard rumors that in a week or so Petco will be selling tanks up to 55g for $1 a gallon e.g. 29 gallon tank is $29
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:58 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:
I love you sig by the way! Did you used be a Uper?
Yes, I was a UP'er. Born and raised in northern Michigan. I lived in Ontonagon.. it's near the tip of the horn in the UP right on Superior. It's the land of the really big snow! 'The Shining' even. lol Nothing but snow and Finlanders up there...and pastys.

Interested in Science? Want to learn more about what's happening inside your aquarium? Join SEAR and get started. PM for more details!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-22-2010, 08:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by VadimShevchuk View Post
What regulator are you gonna buy?
Just a regular Milwaukee. My broke self would love to buy a set from GLA, but I'm just going to have to go with cheap...

Quote:
Yes, I was a UP'er. Born and raised in northern Michigan. I lived in Ontonagon.. it's near the tip of the horn in the UP right on Superior. It's the land of the really big snow! 'The Shining' even. lol Nothing but snow and Finlanders up there...and pastys.
LOL, I almost went to school at Lake Superior State University. I love it up there, it's just so extreme. It feels so different from the Lower Peninsula. Of course, I didn't know what "real" snow was until I spent a winter in Grand Rapids. Didn't understand the concept of "lake effect snow" until then...

Must be quite a transition going from "the land of really big snow" to a land that doesn't know what snow is!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode