50 Gallon Frame is Bowing, is this a problem? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
50 Gallon Frame is Bowing, is this a problem?

I purchased my 50gal from Petsmart 3 months ago, and the top frame has been bowing in one corner. The rest of the tank looks fine, but only this spot, the plastic protrudes away from the class about 1/2 an inch.

I spoke with the warranty people, and they said they could probably get me a new tank from Petsmart. But he also mentioned that there shouldn't be any problems with this bowing, and that he wasn't concerened there was any glass problems or reason to think it might leak/break.

What do ya'll think? Is this safe? Will I have a 50gal swimming pool in my living room? Shall I go for the trade?

[50g][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:21 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I can't tell exactly what the "bowing" is, from the photos. Does it only show up when the tank is full? If so, I would be concerned. A half inch is a lot of bowing for that size tank. And, anything that moves at a corner is a lot more worrisome than something that occurs in the middle of a run of glass.

Hoppy
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I can't tell exactly what the "bowing" is, from the photos. Does it only show up when the tank is full? If so, I would be concerned. A half inch is a lot of bowing for that size tank. And, anything that moves at a corner is a lot more worrisome than something that occurs in the middle of a run of glass.
Looks like it is jsut the tank trim, I would get them to replace it just because it looks like crap personally. Frame mold was off or one of the glass panes is slightly out of square causing the frame to warp.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:10 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
if it is just the plastic trim is wavy along the bottom of it, that should be ok, but if the actual glass is bowing and causing the trim to bow, then you have a problem
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (17/100%)
It's very noticeable either way, I'd have them replace it
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:21 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtyhermit View Post
It's very noticeable either way, I'd have them replace it
Me too.

50gal of water can make a MASSIVE mess (most I've ever had to deal with is a 10gal tank fail on me, and that was bad enough!), and personally I'd sleep better at night being safe rather than sorry.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:41 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
I say replace it also. I don't think you should be seeing any bowing at all.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Don't do the manufacturer any favors. Get it replaced. Better safe than sorry and who wants to look at it.

Eheim Pimp Club member #414, 2076 Pro 3e
Fluval G6
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 08:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If this was an older tank, out of warranty I would simply turn that to the back, it does not look to be so serious.

However, since it is still under warranty, get a replacement. If for no other reason than it gives the manufacturer a 'heads up' that something is not quite right on the assembly side of the business.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for everyone's suggestions. Central Aquatics was the maker of the tank, and after a few phones calls with them, everything is figured out. Very professional people over the phone. They told me the process of going back through Petsmart for BOTH them and I would be too much of a hassle, so they are cutting me a check and directly refunding me. Good people, they stand behind their customers.

So anyways, now I have a refund, but I still have the tank. I don't want the tank to break on me, however, I can't just toss this 50gal in the trash either. Although it is very hard to tell (imo), but I really don't see the tank bowing/warping. I just think the frame in this particular top corner doesn't fit right.

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Algae Grower

Pull the rim off and go get a drywall square and check the glass
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:12 PM
Algae Grower

And also you can order new tank rims online
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:35 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
Set that thing up as a terrarium.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 06-28-2010, 03:49 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by F22 View Post
Set that thing up as a terrarium.
I was thinking the same thing. That or flip it around and do a riparium maybe.

Glad you got it settled though.

post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 07-15-2010, 04:42 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

So after watching yet more air bubble appear in the silicone, I decided it was time for the new tank. After 8 hours of foolings, I was able to complete the task.

Documented here: https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ta...nted-tank.html

[50g][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][
][3g][2.1g] - [
] [
][
]

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode