Where to get large driftwood? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:20 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Where to get large driftwood?

I have a 75 gallon tank and need a pretty center piece! How do I go about finding a nice large piece of driftwood? I looked online and saw "large driftwood, about 12" long and 3" tall". That won't be big enough...

Can I go to the lake and find some? I don't think I could find something big enough though.

Should I get more than one?

Yeah, so where did you get yours? and about what size should I be looking at? I don't want it to overpower the tank, but I don't want it to look too small. Advice on placement is appreciated as well.

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:22 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (79/100%)
You might be able to find something locally, but D.S. Drifter and Badcopnofishtank both sell amazing driftwood in the swap & shot

-Chris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:23 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (56/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CL View Post
You might be able to find something locally, but D.S. Drifter and Badcopnofishtank both sell amazing driftwood in the swap & shot
Agreed. Here are links to both sellers:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...hipped-tn.html
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/sw...driftwood.html

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:28 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (24/100%)
adgshop.com carries a pretty wide selection of large driftwood. jsenske, the owner, has been poking around here lately so I'd imagine you can probably talk to him about driftwood types.

Frank Wazeter
Aquascaper for life.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the very quick replies. Those are a lot more like what I am looking for. I don't exactly understand how the swap and shop works. Is it just people selling directly to others?
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaloful View Post
Thanks for the very quick replies. Those are a lot more like what I am looking for. I don't exactly understand how the swap and shop works. Is it just people selling directly to others?
Indeed it is.
I'd also look into ADGshop. Jeff will answer any questions you may have.

All three places sell somewhat different types of wood. It really depends on what look you are going for.

-Chris

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

What do you think about arranging them in my tank? Would a large piece and several small pieces tie it together more? I would like one to be the center piece of the tank.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:42 AM
CL
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kazaloful View Post
What do you think about arranging them in my tank? Would a large piece and several small pieces tie it together more? I would like one to be the center piece of the tank.
I'm sure that would work just fine.

-Chris

post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 03:58 AM
Algae Grower

Send a message via Yahoo to NanoDan
I would try www.manzanita.com. Just tell them the size of your tank and what you want. They will tailor the order to fit your needs.

post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Hey how good is manzanita in the aquarium is anything like grape wood how long will it last etc... any help will be appreciated. the site above has some really awesome pieces too.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 07:20 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
Manzanita works excellently in an aquarium, and tons of people use it. All wood will deteriorate eventually, but especially with a large piece you can expect it to last for plenty of years before there is any serious problem.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 05:30 PM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Where to get large driftwood?

+1 on badcopnofishtank's wood. He has some amazing large pieces. Definitely send him a PM, and ask him to send you an email with pictures of what he has in stock.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-19-2010, 06:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Both D.S. Drifter and Badcopnofishtank have great wood. I'm currently using wood from D.S. Drifter in my tank. Prices are very reasonable and the wood is fantastic. You can click on my 150g Riparium lionk in my signature to see it.

Craig

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-20-2010, 05:52 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Thank you did some looking and these are very reasonable pieces and prices. Can I leave the red manzinita look or does it have to be sand blasted?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode