3Likes
  • 2 Post By Raith
  • 4 Post By Nlewis

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can I add dirt to an already established tank

I have a 20 gallon aquarium with 5 plants and 6 serpae tetras. I am using root tabs right now but they are to expensive and I want to switch to dirt. But the problem is I only have a bucket to put my fish in while I add the dirt to the aquarium and most people say you should leave the fish out for atleast a week after adding the dirt, but would it hurt the fish to add them back in right after I added the dirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:25 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
If you're getting the API root tabs, then, I suggest you don't because yes, I agree they're expensive, but you can find sellers on here that make their own and it is a lot cheaper than the ones that you buy. What kind of dirt is it? Did it come from the yard? Did you bake it to get rid of any bad bacteria, etc? Dirt will need to be capped. You may be to re-cycle but I don't use dirt, so don't trust my judgment on this. Good luck!
Econde and Econde like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:00 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelsey1 View Post
I have a 20 gallon aquarium with 5 plants and 6 serpae tetras. I am using root tabs right now but they are to expensive and I want to switch to dirt. But the problem is I only have a bucket to put my fish in while I add the dirt to the aquarium and most people say you should leave the fish out for atleast a week after adding the dirt, but would it hurt the fish to add them back in right after I added the dirt
Will it hurt the fish, I would say most definitely. You will have ammonia spikes after adding the dirt and will need to do big water changes preferably daily. The fish will be fine in a bucket provided the have a heater and aeration.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

how long do I leave the fish out of the tank
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 01:28 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I'd say close to a week on the high side. As mentioned above though you can make your own root tabs on the cheap. Some 00 gel tabs and a bottle of osmocote+ and you'll have hundreds for about $20.

Just a noob

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:54 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Making your own root tabs from Osmocote+ filled gel caps is way cheaper and will last a long time. About $10 will make you several hundred root tabs and many people here use them with great success, including myself.

I hope you plan on draining your tank because if you try to add dirt to a tank of water, well, you end up with mud and it will never settle and destroy your filters. You didn't mention draining the tank so I thought I'd mention it. I'm sure you are draining the tank.

Your fish can live for years in that bucket if it's heated and filtered with no problems at all. Think of it as a 5 gallon Betta cup with a filter and a heater.

Also make sure to cap your dirt well.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 05:33 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyRob View Post
Your fish can live for years in that bucket if it's heated and filtered with no problems at all. Think of it as a 5 gallon Betta cup with a filter and a heater.
Unless the filter came from an established tank, there will be no BB to handle the ammonia the fish will generate and they could perish in a bucket in 24 hours or less!!! The only way this might not happen is if the water becomes acidic enough so the ammonia is converted to ammonium...but use caution and ensure your holding container has sufficient beneficial bacteria.

And since you'll be draining the tank for a substrate w/dirt, you might as well refill with fresh water (making the 'established tank' question moot).
Note: An exception might be if you had not been doing routine water changes and your fish had adjusted to poor water conditions - then you might want to do several small water changes before doing the whole project.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode