Losing new fish HELP! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Losing new fish HELP!

i currently have a high tech planted tank that I'm having an issue with keeping new fish alive after adding to the tank, dying with in one to days. i have tried everything from Drip acclimation, floating bad method, etc.. shutting down CO2 for days prior to days after. The kicker is the current tank mates (lemon Tetras, Corys, Neons, and couple Plecos) are doing fine and thriving. These fish have been the tank for over a couple years.

Current Tank Parameters

Temp 77
Ph 6.6-6.8 CO2 on or off
KH 3
GH15
Ammonia and Nitrates 0
Nitrates 10
Phosphates 2

I have several tanks set uo from High tech to low tech using the same water source. I use city water and let it mature for a couple days, declorinator before using in water changes. Low tech tanks are fine and any fish i add to these tanks do just fine and don't die.

I have stopped using CSM +B and Iron hoping that wasn't the cause. no change. shutting down CO2 hasn't helped.

The fish seem to always die at night.

Could it be a CO2 issue?
to Much Flow stressing the fish?
Maybe a short with low level current the current fish are used to?

Need help.. This one baffles me. what do you think can be causing it?

I have lost all Harlequin Rasboras, RummyNoses, Vietnamese Mountain Monnows, and Cardinal Tetras during this issue. All four bought from three different LFS which would hope would rule out disease.

Thanks ahead for your input.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:45 AM
Algae Grower

What have you added to tank after you first had fish to start dying? I had an issue years ago and it was a grape vine branch I bought out West. Whatever this wood had in it was the culprit. Your setup sounds ok to me.
Edlite

"We are born to move, if it don't move its dead"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

EdLite
post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i have not added anything to the tank. I did though take out an old piece of draft wood 3 weeks ago. But i done three weekly water changes since as part of EI process, and the new fish were dying before and after i took it out. My tank has a lot flow, could it be stressing the fish? I have had tanks for years and never had this issue!

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fresolone View Post
i... I use city water and let it mature for a couple days, declorinator before using in water changes. Low tech tanks are fine and any fish i add to these tanks do just fine and don't die. ...
Your water source is the first thing I'd be looking at. Also, what product are you using for the dechlorinate? In this day and age there are often other chemicals added to the water. In different seasons, often different chemicals are used.

You may need to change your declorinator or use better water. You could try doing a couple of water changes using distilled water, after you bring up GH and KH. If this solves your problem, then you know it's your water source, and you can consider investing in an RO unit.

The reason I suggest this because with the EI method you are making massive water changes. That tank could be getting a lot more bad stuff from the water.

Just for the record, how large a tank are we talking about?

Last edited by DaveK; 12-01-2016 at 02:11 AM. Reason: Fix spelling
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:17 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
It could be something has changed with your city water?

Where I live there's always a few months in the spring- seems to happen in March- when they flush out the pipes and add extra chloramines- the tap smells really strong of chlorine at this time. I use extra dechlor during those weeks, but I really wish the water company could notify folks when they're going to do that kind of thing... I suppose it doesn't matter much to anyone besides aquarium keepers...

But if this is really the issue, I don't know why your long-standing fishes would still be fine, and only the new ones die. Sorry, I'm not much help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:25 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

50 gallon breeder. My water goes through a water softener before aging process.. i have been using API water conditioner/dechlorinator. i use the same water for all my tanks, including my Shrimp tanks.. no issue elsewhere in my other tank.. just this one.. i recently bought 6 Harlequin Rasboras and i came down the next morning and 5 of the 6 were dead. the 6th was swimming upside down in circles.. so as an experiment i netted and just dropped him into one of my low tech tank to see what would happen. 15 mins later i came back and it was swimming fine. 2 hours later it was eating and 1 week later still alive. that is what baffles me. same water source and my other tanks are just fine.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:30 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
That is strange. Is it possible someone in your home dumped something into the tank?
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:34 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i would think so if the other fish in the tank die along with them. LOL! i am so baffled. This issue has been going on for months.. i have tried to add new fish since August.. I have removed fish and added them to my low tech tanks. but been wanted to add new to the High-tech to change things up. failing big time!
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:44 AM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Duh, u did say the older fish were fine.

and you did try introducing new fish without co2 runnng. That would make sense that they aren't used to the co2 and the other fish would be.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

now you can see why I'm so baffled! i have tried everything!! LOL this last bunch i kept CO2 off for 2 days prior and 1 day after. and the fish died before the CO2 was on. I can tell the CO2 was out as the drop checker changed from green to blue.. think i should treat the tank with some meds? i am so confused on this one. looking at the experts out there! only other thing can see if there is a low level of electrical current affecting the new fish that somehow the old fish have adapted to, maybe my heater or my power head is shorting out..
post #11 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:57 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I'd throw out the fertilizer or at least stop dosing while you get fish acclimating.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #12 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

that is the only thing i have changed in the last 8 months. Went from Greenleaf ferts to NILOCG ferts. but the plants are fine.. and the fish issue started in late Aug, i bought a ton of ferts so still on the same batch ordered 8 months ago..
post #13 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:12 AM
Algae Grower

Sounds like it might have something to do with your acclimation method? Check out this video and see if that helps at all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SMoYvtTzKkI

post #14 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

will give it a try. maybe that explain when i dropped a new suffering fish in my low tech tank it survived..
post #15 of 32 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 03:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fresolone View Post
50 gallon breeder. My water goes through a water softener before aging process.. i have been using API water conditioner/dechlorinator. i use the same water for all my tanks, including my Shrimp tanks.. no issue elsewhere in my other tank.. just this one.. i recently bought 6 Harlequin Rasboras and i came down the next morning and 5 of the 6 were dead. the 6th was swimming upside down in circles.. so as an experiment i netted and just dropped him into one of my low tech tank to see what would happen. 15 mins later i came back and it was swimming fine. 2 hours later it was eating and 1 week later still alive. that is what baffles me. same water source and my other tanks are just fine.
So they're all dieing at night?

Just a noob

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode