3Likes
  • 2 Post By Nlewis
  • 4 Post By Raith

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Frobit or Duckweed????

Looking for a floating plant for my 5.5 gallon betta tank. Marimo are the only live plants I have. The current floating plant is fake and just used to shade the marimo and provide my betta with some cover. Currently running a compact 6500k cfl from lowes for 12 hrs a day. Dose the tank with flourish comprehensive once a month and change 50% of the water 1-2x per month. What are the pros and cons of both plants? I've heard that frogbit is prone to rotting of the top of the leaves get wet and the duckweed can take over a tank and get caught up in the filter. Any experience or other suggestions is appreciated!

(If it matters at all, the tank has been running for over a year in its current state)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:21 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Red root floaters

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:37 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
Red root floaters
Is it fairly hardy? And will it grow as fast as duckweed or is it more manageable?

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 01:41 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazasaki View Post
Is it fairly hardy? And will it grow as fast as duckweed or is it more manageable?
I don't know if there's any other floating plant that grows as fast as duckweed. Given the right lighting which you should have, it will grow pretty quick and will even flower. Oh and it has beautiful red roots as it's name implies.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

I have spirodela polyrhiza- the 'greater duckweed' in my betta tank, and I actually like it. It doesn't grow as crazy fast as the smaller duckweed, and is easier to control. I only have to scoop out one or two handfuls per week to keep the growth in check. If some leaves are dying off it's easy to pick out individual plants- I never could do that with the regular duckweed- and it doesn't cling to everything like crazy, either. Easy to brush off back into the water if you get some on your hands.

It shades my tank nicely enough that I don't have algae issues in here anymore.

|
|
|
|
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 04:54 AM
Algae Grower

I have a 5 gallon betta tank and the duckweed easily gets out of hand every couple of weeks, to where I have to scoop huge quantities out. I like the way it looks but it does tend to block a lot of light for my carpeting plants. Might not be an issue for those marimo though.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 05:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Red root floaters
I love RRF's, but won't the OP need to change their ferts to support them? I don't think monthly micros is going to cut it for those.

Right now, I'm really loving silvia minima and dwarf water lettuce

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Last edited by Darkblade48; 12-01-2016 at 11:28 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
Quote:
Red root floaters
I love RRF's, but won't the OP need to change their ferts to support them? I don't think monthly micros is going to cut it for those.
I was thinking the same thing. Generally is it the red colored plants the require more Iron based ferts? Correct me if I'm wrong. I would rather not change my ferts....my tank is simple and easy as it is now and I don't need to start getting algae blooms by chaging my dosing.

I think I may just order some duckweed off of Amazon since it is so cheap or try to find someone on here that is selling. Seems easy enough, and I really don't mind scooping some out once a week or so.
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:00 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nope, I used to have it in multiple tanks with no co2 or ferts and it flourished.
natemcnutty and natemcnutty like this.

Just a noob

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:11 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Nope, I used to have it in multiple tanks with no co2 or ferts and it flourished.
Nice! I always thought they needed decent ferts. Now you are making me think about getting some for my work tank...
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 09:51 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Nice! I always thought they needed decent ferts. Now you are making me think about getting some for my work tank...
I think of all floating plants that we use as super low tech. They don't really require much, it's like growing Amazon swords or java fern.

Just a noob

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-01-2016, 10:54 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
RRF or Frogbit, never ever duckweed.
Nlewis, Nlewis, Tessa and 1 others like this.

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:30 PM
Planted Member

I have both frogbit and salvinia on my 12g betta tank - a nice mix of leaf shapes and short and long roots.

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 12:43 PM
Algae Grower

I love my frogbit. It multiplies just fast enough to keep things interesting, but slow enough that it's easy to maintain. It's also much easier to scoop up to give away or throw out than duckweed, imo.

Once upon a time I had ludwigia. It disintegrated.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-02-2016, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Frogbit over duckweed every day! Duckweed just gets everywhere and is a pain to manage, duckweed is much larger and easy to remove / thin out

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode