What do i need for Co2? PLZ HELP - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:59 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Exclamation What do i need for Co2? PLZ HELP

SO in one of my 5 gallon planted shrimp tanks im looking to start adding Co2, I know that shrimp cant have to much Co2 in the tank since they will die super easily apparently.
So here is my amazon shopping list for everything I need when setting up Co2, do I have everything? I did immense research beforehand (for over 2 months)
AQUATEK CO2-Proof Tubing 16 Feet

Bump: I think the text came out strange, anyway my list was
- AQUATEK Co2 proof tubing 16 ft
- Two product Co2 regulator
- nano glass diffuser
- Co2 monitor glass drop
- 80g bubble counter (but I have a 5 gallon aquarium, will be attached to a 75G later on so is this ok?)
- 5lb Co2 tank

Last edited by BettaBettas; 11-28-2016 at 11:23 PM. Reason: editted the title
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:31 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
The bubble counter that you linked will work fine even on the larger aquarium.

One thing that I can see is missing is a needle valve. Additionally, if you want to control your CO2 via a timer, you will need a solenoid.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:32 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
The bubble counter that you linked will work fine even on the larger aquarium.

One thing that I can see is missing is a needle valve. Additionally, if you want to control your CO2 via a timer, you will need a solenoid.
what does a needle valve do? and can u suggest me one (like for ex: on amazon or something)
I found this one is this ok?
https://www.amazon.com/Rhinox-Needle.../dp/B005GB8FLY

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I know there are debates on CO2 proof tubing, and I'll leave that one alone. I'm pretty sure I've seen this one recommended a few times: https://www.amazon.com/Taprite-T742H...dp/B002UZUJ22/

If going pressurized, I think one of the atomic style diffusers might be better, but I'll leave that to others to answer better. Also, you might want to consider a solenoid, and for the CO2 tank, they have to be certified every 5 years. Unless you plan on swapping out tanks, you can be pretty picky about the tank if it is already 2 years out or something stupid like that.

Last edited by natemcnutty; 11-28-2016 at 11:40 PM. Reason: Why no strikethrough on this forum?
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:40 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by natemcnutty View Post
I know there are debates on CO2 proof tubing, and I'll leave that one alone. I don't think that regulator is going to work though, and I'm pretty sure I've seen this one recommended a few times: https://www.amazon.com/Taprite-T742H...dp/B002UZUJ22/

If going pressurized, I think one of the atomic style diffusers might be better, but I'll leave that to others to answer better. Also, you might want to consider a solenoid, and for the CO2 tank, they have to be certified every 5 years. Unless you plan on swapping out tanks, you can be pretty picky about the tank if it is already 2 years out or something stupid like that.
I get the 5 years tank part, but what is the "going pressurized" thing? doesn't that mean your using a tank? if so that's what I plan on doing. so should I exchange my listed regulator for the one you suggested?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 11:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I get the 5 years tank part, but what is the "going pressurized" thing? doesn't that mean your using a tank? if so that's what I plan on doing. so should I exchange my listed regulator for the one you suggested?
Yeah, pressurized vs DIY. You can push a higher pressure than most DIY systems will which means you can use those atomizer style diffusers (or better yet, an inline reactor if you have a canister filter on it). I didn't see a tank pressure listed on the one you had, but then I noticed that the gauge didn't go that high on the other one either... Tried to strikethrough that part, but I don't know the BBCode off the top of my head :P

Edit: That's what I get for trying to look at pictures on my phone... both of them go to 2000 PSI on the gauge. You'd be fine with either...
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Banned

https://www.amazon.com/CISNO-Regulat...+for+aquariums
is this a good regulator you guys think?

also is this a good looking check valve
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-D1120-S...o2+Check+Valve

Bump: and yet another question, the tubing. what kind of tubing should I use for all this? sorry so many questions, honestly this is kind of stressful

and now im jus tlooking at the whole deal, kits. now again another opinion question for those who have co2 setups, does look like the "whole package" for CO2 ? and good quality
GLA MINI-SS CO2 System | Green Leaf Aquariums

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-29-2016 at 02:04 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 02:07 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
what does a needle valve do? and can u suggest me one (like for ex: on amazon or something)
I found this one is this ok?
https://www.amazon.com/Rhinox-Needle.../dp/B005GB8FLY
Please refer to my "Primer to Pressurized CO2" article, linked in my signature below.

Quote:
The regulator that natemcnutty could also work.

Quote:
https://www.amazon.com/CISNO-Regulat...+for+aquariums
is this a good regulator you guys think?
This one specifically says that it will not fit CGA320. North America uses the CGA320 standard.

Quote:
also is this a good looking check valve
https://www.amazon.com/Eagle-D1120-S...o2+Check+Valve
This is a shut off valve and not a needle valve. This will not work.

Bump: and yet another question, the tubing. what kind of tubing should I use for all this? sorry so many questions, honestly this is kind of stressful

Quote:
and now im jus tlooking at the whole deal, kits. now again another opinion question for those who have co2 setups, does look like the "whole package" for CO2 ? and good quality
GLA MINI-SS CO2 System | Green Leaf Aquariums
GLA is a reputable company, but as with any business, there is a markup involved.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

Last edited by Darkblade48; 11-29-2016 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Fixed tag
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:37 AM
Algae Grower

I have the 88g on my 135 with bubbles at 200 plus per minute w no problem, great design

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
Banned

well thanks guys for all the help and advice! im still doing some in depth research, and I looked at a couple pics and saw that this is the whole setup (is it?). if so I guess its harder explained than what it looks like lol I see the regulator and bubble counter, check valve, etc its marked. is that all I should need there? GLA is prob. going to be my main go to brand.

Bump: now the one thing in this pic that idk about is the solenoid, what is that for? also the tubing leads off, so I presume it goes to the actual aquarium
Attached Images

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 12:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
now the one thing in this pic that idk about is the solenoid, what is that for? also the tubing leads off, so I presume it goes to the actual aquarium
Solenoid will turn off and on your CO2.
Should be most likely a 120VAC coil in your case and you can plug it into a timer.

Hose leaves bubble counter to aquarium.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 06:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Back to the beginning: Why do you want to use CO2 on that very small tank? It is very easy to add too much CO2 to a tank that small, so unless you are trying to grow plants that need high light and/or CO2 to grow well, you might do a lot better by not adding CO2.

Hoppy
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:01 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Back to the beginning: Why do you want to use CO2 on that very small tank? It is very easy to add too much CO2 to a tank that small, so unless you are trying to grow plants that need high light and/or CO2 to grow well, you might do a lot better by not adding CO2.
well this CO2 I plan to get (hopefully ) will for now go to this small tank, but later on go to the big ol' 75 gallon
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 09:16 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
SO in one of my 5 gallon planted shrimp tanks im looking to start adding Co2, I know that shrimp cant have to much Co2 in the tank since they will die super easily apparently.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
Quote:
well this CO2 I plan to get (hopefully ) will for now go to this small tank, but later on go to the big ol' 75 gallon
Here is the thing, in addition to what Hoppy told you, adding pressurized CO2 to a 5 gal tank really is not cost effective. You'll likely end up spending many times the cost of the rest of the system to get CO2.

Now if you were doing this on the 75 gal tank, I'd say go for it. CO2 can give great results. Until you get to that point though, save your money.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Other than making sure the co2 is dependable and working correctly the size of the tank has ZERO to do with whether someone should get co2. There are simply certain types of setups, plants you can't grow without co2 and EVERY plant grows fuller, lusher with it. Some of the most popular tanks are nanos. Many that ADA started selling and now everyone else sells have co2 and their sizes are south of 5G.

Last edited by houseofcards; 11-30-2016 at 02:52 PM. Reason: add

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode