3Likes
  • 2 Post By Deutschlandiesel
  • 4 Post By Grah the great

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Total newbie. How does it look?

Brand new to planted tanks. just kind of had my tank aquascaped with lava rock and some fine substrate and didn't have the ability to go with a bigger tank so someone suggested I start doing some plants, So i went kinda nuts and from the pictures you can see whats there for the most part. I was suggested by a friend to buy Flourish and do that on a daily basis. So ive been doing that so far and i cant really notice any difference. I think i really have a problem in the light department.
I only have 2 17watt T8 Natural Daylight bulbs. and from the FAQ i read 3 watts per gallon and the tank is 37 gallons. so im thinking of getting a Finnex 30'' fixture for christmas. Hopefully Everything wont be dead by then.
I have for the most part Java fern. Anubias Nana, and Amazon Sword plants in there which i hear are pretty easy to maintain and dont require much light. the filter is a fluval 70. i suppose thats a good flow rate for the tank size and considering I have about 13 fish in there. mostly south american cichlids. Let me know what you think..
Thanks
Deutschlandiesel
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1480366759144.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	694618  

Name:	image_1480366803785.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	694626  

Name:	image_1480366846975.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	694634  

Name:	image_1480366875035.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	694642  

Last edited by Deutschlandiesel; 11-28-2016 at 08:47 PM. Reason: information on tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:14 PM
Banned

what if your vape gets into the tank by traveling in the atmosphere lol
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
what if your vape gets into the tank by traveling in the atmosphere lol
lol i dont vape in the fish room.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:19 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschlandiesel View Post
lol i dont vape in the fish room.
lol
Anyway if you take a full on tank shot that would be nice
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:24 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Full on shot
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0064_1480371811940.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	694698  

BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

Good start...looks good Just a heads up, but some (not all...the julidochromis is fine) of the cichlids you chose become foot long lunkers that not only will not fit in a 37 gallon long term but will also eventually become avid 'landscapers'
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grah the great View Post
Good start...looks good Just a heads up, but some (not all...the julidochromis is fine) of the cichlids you chose become foot long lunkers that not only will not fit in a 37 gallon long term but will also eventually become avid 'landscapers'
believe me i hear you on that. Trying to get rid of the texas cichlids as is because i know they will get huge. and the rainbows love to trim plants that dont need trimming. haha. but for the most part they all leave the plants alone, and i do eventually plan on upgrading to a tank about the size of a 55-75 in the future. By the time these fish will need the space. or i could just sell off the livestock to someone who is looking for larger fish in a non planted environment and start fresh with fish i wouldnt mind. I love the cichlids though.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I had that same light fixture- just one- on a 10" high tank and grew some low-light plants ok w/it. But they struggled before I started dosing ferts. Your tank is bigger, you have twice the light- maybe it will work if you feed the plants. Looks like a nice amount of plants to start with.

Is that dark fish in the first pic an oscar? They get huge!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-28-2016, 10:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deutschlandiesel View Post
believe me i hear you on that. Trying to get rid of the texas cichlids as is because i know they will get huge. and the rainbows love to trim plants that dont need trimming. haha. but for the most part they all leave the plants alone, and i do eventually plan on upgrading to a tank about the size of a 55-75 in the future. By the time these fish will need the space. or i could just sell off the livestock to someone who is looking for larger fish in a non planted environment and start fresh with fish i wouldnt mind. I love the cichlids though.
do some background research on the fish you get before you get them, keeping fish #1 rule
And also I suggest returning all the fish in the tank and just starting over (with the fish)
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 01:40 AM
Wannabe Guru

I would say your tank is very good, especially when your new to the hobby.

While there are some things I would do differently, some of this is more personal preferences, rather than your doing anything wrong.

I would say that you'll likely want to redo the aquascape several times over the next coupld of years, each time taking the tank in the direction your interested in. Keep your eye on things and work an any problems you have and given time, your tank will be exactly how you want it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 11-29-2016, 10:56 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Definetly need to rehome those fish. 37 gallons is too small for even 1 of them, let alone all of them together. That's torture for those fish. Fish release a growth hormone into the water that keeps them from out-growing their environment. Thus stunting the growth of the fish and decreasing their life span.

Also, there's a big chance they'll destroy your plants.
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 02:44 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

In the process of getting rid of all of the fish now and switching over to African Cichlids. Not a huge fan of smaller community fish. Looking to go with the Africans due to vibrant colors in certain species. Looking for stocking suggestions????
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-05-2016, 04:15 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
I don't know a ton about cichlids, but I think that's still a pretty small tank for most African cichlids. Maybe ok for a pair of yellow labs?

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 12-06-2016, 07:14 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Pretty much going to give away most of my fish. I know Africans do like a crowded space though. I have kept them in the past. 6 or 7 in a 20 gallon tall.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode