DIY co2 29 gallon (yeast and sugar help) - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (3/100%)
Question DIY co2 29 gallon (yeast and sugar help)

have plants comming soon, (2 days) would like to stary CO2 tommrrow. i have it built just need to know how much yeast and sugar i need to add and how to add it

thank you
-mike pevine-

29 gallon biocube (sw) MJ1200, vortech MP10, stunner Led's, custom sump/refugium, + MORE
planted tank = .........currently working on it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
do you not beleive me or are you looking for a second opinion?
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:48 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by timwag2001 View Post
I'm going to be in the same situation soon... And I'll believe whatever you tell me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Panic grabbed my leg, you know, it dragged me in.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:

bellive you with what?

29 gallon biocube (sw) MJ1200, vortech MP10, stunner Led's, custom sump/refugium, + MORE
post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

i appolige, i found it

Quote:
if you can make the hose from the 2 liter go into the gas seperator, make it go 3/4 of the way into the gas seperator. and then fill the gas seperator half way with water. this will make it act like a bubble counter. that way you can see how much co2 is going into your tank, this makes it possible to see when your mixture is starting to die off.

also put a check valve just after each bottle. that makes changing out your bottles a lot easier. that way you can just unscrew the bottle and change it without any water siphoning out of your tank.

and for a 29g it wouldnt be a bad idea to add a couple more bottles over the next couple of weeks. i would add one bottle next week, one bottle the week after and then start changing out the old bottle every week. that will make it more consistant. i had 5 bottles hooked up to my 55g.

everyone has their own mixture that vareis from ingredients like jello, brown sugar or regular cane sugar and different amounts of product and different types of yeast.

my recipe was 2 cups of cane sugar, 1 teaspoon of bakers yeast. i would mix the yeast in a seperate container with a little bit of warm water to activate it. its not important to do that but i guess it helps the mixture kick in faster, i just got into the habit of doing it that way. in the 2 liter i put the 2 cups of sugar and fill the bottle halfway with warm water and shake the **** out of it to get the sugar to dissolve as much as i could. add the yeast mixture and then fill the 2 liter just up to where the bottle starts to bend with warm water.

there is no point in having co2 if you dont have plants. but i would start it up a few days before you plant just to be sure things are running smoothly. the smallest leak can make the whole thing not work so it would be good to work out the bugs first
whats the diffrence between cane sugar and regular sugar?

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:10 AM
Planted Tank Guru

lol. here is a link to the thread of yours from two days ago.
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...p-doseing.html

read the last post to the thread and follow the link.

it brings you to a link you started may 29th.
i posted it at the end of that thread
post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Guru

cane sugar is the white sugar that goes good in coffee.

brown sugar is the brown stuff you bake with
post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:26 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
cane sugar is the white sugar that goes good in coffee.

brown sugar is the brown stuff you bake with

will the grocery store have cane sugar?

post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPevine11 View Post
will the grocery store have cane sugar?
It should.

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't mean to butt in but! What type of plants are you going to be feeding CO2 to? If you have low tech plants then one DIY CO2 bottle will be fine. If you have faster growing plants and strong light then I would go with another bottle. I would not listen to the last post that you need multiple. 2 DIY will put you in the proper CO2 range even at heavily planted from personal experience since I have this same tank. CO2 isn't something that should be played with as you can and will most likely gas your fish. DIY are unstable, unpredictable. With no PH controller you will have frequent crashes. I am to the point were I am going to shell out the money for a complete mini system.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

having just one diy bottle will cause fluctuations in co2. fluctuating co2 can cause algae.

the idea behind changing one bottle out per week is because one of the bottles will be slowing down and not be producing co2 like the newer ones.

i ran that setup on my 29 with 2wpg of pc lighting without any problem
post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPevine11 View Post
have plants comming soon, (2 days) would like to stary CO2 tommrrow. i have it built just need to know how much yeast and sugar i need to add and how to add it

thank you
-mike pevine-
Quote:

diy recipe i've answered for you before

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/ge...ding-help.html

I took a look at this "recipe". It's just foolishness. Sorry

If you use tank water you'll not need to do any boiling and regular white suger works just fine.

Fill your bottle with tank water add 1 cup sugar and 1/4 teaspoon baking soda to 1.9 liters water, mix until clear. I believe it is the chlorine in the tap water that kills the yeast and or produces unstable Co2 production but to be honest I'm not entirely sure. However, since I switched to using tank water I get completely stable as well as much increased Co2 production, every time.

After you’ve mixed the sugar and baking soda add 1/2 teaspoon yeast, do not mix. Let it sink on its own, you can jostle the bottle a little to help it sink if you wish. It will start producing Co2 in about 1 hour, however it will take about 24 hours to push the oxygen out before any Co2 makes it's way into your tank.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fe...rized-co2.html
Check my link above. I have a massive amount of experience with DIY Co2 and pretty much have it down to a science.

I posted this twice sorry. I ment to post it here but had to many windows opened and got confused. LOL

Good luck,

Shawn
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 03:57 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
having just one diy bottle will cause fluctuations in co2. fluctuating co2 can cause algae.

the idea behind changing one bottle out per week is because one of the bottles will be slowing down and not be producing co2 like the newer ones.

i ran that setup on my 29 with 2wpg of pc lighting without any problem

Partly true, but I have found the biggest interruption is during the change out when the newer bottle only pushes out oxygen for the first 24-36 hours. Having 2 or three bottles going shortens this period considerably. When a bottle is changed the oxygen rises up into the tubing and gets pushed out quicker when there is more production (2 or 3 bottles). I run three 2 liter glass bottles and have proven that 3 brand new bottles will push out most of the oxygen in just over 36 hours. So, when a three bottle system is up and running and new bottle is added, the oxygen should be pushed out in about 12 hours. If you do your bottle switch an hour before lights out the tank will not even notice it as the oxygen will be pushed out during the night.

Multiple bottles are definitely the way to go and I think 3 is the perfect number. My recipe lasts for just over 3 weeks with solid consistent production for 2 1/2 weeks but it will continue to produce for over 3 weeks. Also as a bottle is about to die down the liquid becomes very clear. If you use glass you can more accurately see what bottle to change. I number my bottles and have a chart that I check off each time I change a bottle so I now which one was changed last.

Plastic bottles expand and contract also causing inconsistent flow. You should also find a consistent way to defuse the Co2 (look at my link). I hope you are running a canister as most HOB filters disturb the surface to much and cause the Co2 to exit the tank faster then you can put it in.

post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

thank you plantman.

i do plan to get an actuall CO2 system from ''GLA'' in the near future but the DIY co2 is untill i can get that.
( i would get it now but i also have a saltwater project going on and getting a custom Fuge/Sump built to go in my stand for my biocube $425 later i'll have it :X )

but after i get that i plan to get the Co2 system with PH controller from 'GLA'

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 06-17-2010, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Also i have a maxijet 900, can i pug my DIY CO2 into that rather then into the filter intake?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode