Is there any prefilter you use/ build? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By theatermusic87

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:24 AM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is there any prefilter you use/ build?

Is there any prefilter you use/ build to keep small fish, shrimp,snails from getting sucked into the intake?

I was thinking of taking some pvc pipe and drilling like a hundred very small holes in it and connecting it to the intake. Snails would probably still find their way in even if they were not sucked in by force.

Perhaps there is a better way?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 06:32 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can buy pre filter sponges all day long on Amazon or eBay.

Just a noob

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 07:49 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nlewis View Post
You can buy pre filter sponges all day long on Amazon or eBay.
Yeah, you can get ones specifically made as prefilters or I just use a chunk of AquaClear filter foam and that works just fine. I just cut a hole in the middle with a pair of scissors just big enough to accomodate my intake (not all the way through the bottom). Cheap and easy, provides extra biofiltration and shrimp love to graze on it. You can also buy little stainless steel cages if you're concerned about the aesthetics.

Even easier than that, you could just tie the bottom of a pair of new/untreated pantyhose (better yet - the little sock kind they have at shoe stores) around your intake. Those clog a little faster and don't look as good, though, but work in a pinch.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
I use the fluval prefilter sponges, they're only a couple dollars each and work fantastically
AbbeysDad and AbbeysDad like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 08:08 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
I use the fluval prefilter sponges, they're only a couple dollars each and work fantastically
Good call, I did not know these existed. I was going to get a pond pre-filter instead.

Last edited by Overwatch; 11-27-2016 at 02:50 AM. Reason: spelling
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-26-2016, 09:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
The pond type prefilter is going to be better in the long run, at least for me they are. The tiny Fluval filters fit great, but they clog up very quickly. I use several of these:

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 02:53 AM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit1200 View Post
The pond type prefilter is going to be better in the long run, at least for me they are. The tiny Fluval filters fit great, but they clog up very quickly. I use several of these:

I put a sponge filter designed to be a standalone filter with a air stone.

It seem to clog up very quickly. The pond filters that look like they will not clog as easy. There is a lot of space between the fibers.

The pond filters are a lot more expensive though. They are designed to be part of some kind of prefilter kit.

For a while I never had any filter on my shrimp tank because of fear it would kill all the shrimp. The prefilter really allows me to have a power filter which my tank desperately needs.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:04 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I just use this: Intake Strainer

Needlework canvas costs less than a dollar at craft stores. That plus a few zip ties and you have a decent strainer. It may not be small enough for fry, but if you are just looking to keep small fish, shrimp, and snails out it will do the job and not get clogged like a sponge.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-27-2016, 03:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Online source of sponge filters for HOB filters. This store is in WA state.

Intake Sponges | Aquarium Co-Op

Starting small, keeping it simple..(?)
250 gallon stock tank, "pond"
20 gallon H CBS Shrimp tank

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode