Paint back of tank - flat black or glossy black? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 05:47 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Paint back of tank - flat black or glossy black?

Any guess on which would look best? Not even sure you will be able to tell a difference through the glass...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 05:53 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Don't think it matters unless you'll be looking at the outside of the black painted side . Either way it'll be black through the glass .
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 06:38 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
I used flat black on my 75gs and prefer that. Looking through the tank to the back/side walls that are painted they look glossy from the glass. Its up to you if you want that gloss look when see the outside of the tank.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 07:23 PM
Algae Grower

I've got matte black because I used plasti dip, but I've heard that people tend to like a gloss/semi-gloss because they can more easily wipe it off
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-19-2016, 08:07 PM
Planted Member

Here's a tip use acrylic latex and apply it with a foam roller
goodbytes and goodbytes like this.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 02:00 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (3/100%)
I got the most matte I could find, it was described as having a chalk finish. Not the chalkboard paint, but the chalk finish. It looks very matte with the tank flooded and isn't reflective at all, which is what I wanted.

--

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 10:36 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchimedesTheDog View Post
I got the most matte I could find, it was described as having a chalk finish. Not the chalkboard paint, but the chalk finish. It looks very matte with the tank flooded and isn't reflective at all, which is what I wanted.
Picture? I'm gonna paint some tanks soon.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-22-2016, 11:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattb126 View Post
Picture? I'm gonna paint some tanks soon.
My inexpert paint job can be seen upon close inspection but I didn't use a roller. You can see that the plants at the back cast shadows but no reflections.

--

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 12:26 PM
Planted Member

I always paint my reef tanks semi-gloss dk blue and my planted tanks semi-gloss black. With the planted tank, once the plants take off you can't see the back anyways.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-23-2016, 04:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

I used a matte black acrylic paint. Just some cheap stuff I got at WallyWorld and I think it came out pretty well. Took three coats to get full coverage though.

post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 03:55 AM

I'm getting ready to paint my 75 g planted tank flat black latex with 4" sponge roller
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 09:19 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I always use flat black. Just looks better IMO because I would think with the combination of the glossy paint and light it could become too shiny.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 11-24-2016, 06:10 PM
Algae Grower

I bought a quart of oil based black paint from the "Tractor Supply" store, (in case you have one near by, It's just a hardware store chain). I thought that oil based paint would stand up better to getting wet frequently. It was very easy to apply. I painted it on pretty thick and did 2 coats +. After you apply a coat, whatever paint you choose, shine a light from behind it and then look through the front. Doing so will reveal any missed spots or streaks where the paint isn't thick enough, so you can do a few touch-ups to make it perfect.

The paint I used was "Majic Tractor, Truck & Implement" Exterior Oil Base Enamel - 8-2959 Matte Black", and is manufactured by Yenkin-Majestic.

It looks Matte, but also you have the glass in front of it that doesn't exactly make it glossy, but rather "glassy", if that makes any sense. Check my profile where I have a couple photos up.

Hope this helps,
~Chip

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode