Tank in carpeted room - The Planted Tank Forum
 5Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 03:52 PM Thread Starter
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Tank in carpeted room

Has anyone successfully setup a tank in a room that is carpeted and can honestly say they didn't ruin the carpet. My thoughts are no matter how careful you are, eventually an accident will happen.

Anyway if you have I'd love to hear if you did it long term and what precautions you took.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofcards View Post
Has anyone successfully setup a tank in a room that is carpeted and can honestly say they didn't ruin the carpet. My thoughts are no matter how careful you are, eventually an accident will happen.

Anyway if you have I'd love to hear if you did it long term and what precautions you took.
my tank is in my carpeted living room. my floor is on a slight tilt because the buildling is old. I have adjustable legs on my shelf so i balanced it with a bubble leveler. I have not seen any damage to the carpet because i try to be careful when working with my tank. My best solution is to keep a hand towel next to my tank. Whenever i work on my tank I will have a towel ready to dry off my tools and hands. maybe if it drips a drop or two on the carpet.

Ive seen people lay out towels on top of their carpet to act like a shield. I also messed up setting up the tubes for my filter, so when i do need to clean it, I will have a stainless steel mixing bowl under the filter so when I unplugg it all the water can drain into the bowl and not the carpet. i keep all my squeeze bottle of fertz in a box.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 04:58 PM
Algae Grower

It would be my opinion that the carpet is going to become damaged due to compression over time.(unless its made for high traffic,office, mall use etc)
A cple years of a tank sitting there I doubt the foot print would recover anyways,so water issue is kinda a moot point?

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have had tanks on carpeting in several places and there is one item almost always when moving. The carpet under the stand is going to be different than the surrounding carpeting. This can be from several different causes. One is leaks that are large enough to soak into the carpeting under the stand where they can't be wiped and dried. These can mold and decay.

The second item which is less thought of is the way carpet wears and weathers. Leave a piece of furniture in one place and you will find the same thing. When the carpeting is under a stand for a long period, the surrounding carpeting will show wear and the hidden will not. It will not fade the same and the spot will show as new rather than worn.

So you will find a difference in carpeting but it goes the same for the carpeting under the couch so I just figure in the expense of carpeting as part of owning a home. We used to keep a scrap of carpeting in storage to replace damaged spots. That only works if you accept having a new chunk put into a used floor. It just screams that the carpeting needs replacement! Carpeting is an expendable item that has to be replaced at times.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Quote:

When I lived at home with my parents, I had a 55 on a cabinet stand and a 50B over a 40B reef setup on a 2x4 stand. When I took them down, there where imprints for a while, but eventually disappeared. Would be same as an entertainment center or a china cabinet with skinny feet as far as imprinting the carpet goes. The reef was an incredible amount of weight on four 2x4 legs and I didn't notice any lasting damage. My house was carpet on pad on concrete slab.
For precautions, I always laid down towels (and got lucky with not overflowing with the Python or spilling water) whenever I worked on them. Always had Rubbermaid tubs at the ready to set stuff in, too.
The good thing about where a tank sits is that it's usually an area occupied by something. So once the tank gets moved, it's likely that a couch, chest, TV, or something will go in its spot.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks guys.

I realize the compression, not worried about that since it's very low pile and as you stated @PlantedRich is like any other piece of furniture. I'm more concerned about tank water getting on it and either ruining the carpet that isn't under the tank and/or odors associated with tank water in carpeting.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 05:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Thanks guys.

I realize the compression, not worried about that since it's very low pile and as you stated @PlantedRich is like any other piece of furniture. I'm more concerned about tank water getting on it and either ruining the carpet that isn't under the tank and/or odors associated with tank water in carpeting.
Than take precautions. Put towels or plastic sheathing under you while you're working.

If you do spill don't rub. Put a towel over the spill and press down to sop up the spill. You want to absorb it out of the carpet. And the padding. Wiping like you do on a tile floor doesn't work on carpeting. Put pressure on small areas as you sop it up.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 06:26 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I do not find odor or discoloring to be a problem, even when totally soaked. I had run enough water to have it stand at least an inch deep in one room without noticing any problems of that sort. Compression with dry towels is the best way I find to soak up the small spills. A heavy duty wet/dry or carpet scrubber for the big ones. When you get into the thinking, what we do on spilling is much what carpet cleaners are all about. Ever used a carpet machine? First you go through and spray water and soap down into the carpeting and then you use an extra power vacuum to remove what you can. But it is assumed that you cannot go on the carpeting until it dries.
So if you spill a cup or two, is it any where near as wet as using several gallons of water to clean ?
I try not to spill but with time and doing both the spilling and the carpet cleaning, I've become less concerned with the spilling!
For protection, I put all my canisters in dishpans. But forgetting to turn off the water is a whole different level of spill. I am fortunate to have concrete slab on the spilling point. Carpeting on top of particle board and then it's a big problem!
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 07:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
I've had multiple tanks on carpeted floors and never had an issue from water. The only issue I have is getting the stand level/perpendicular. If you get back close to the wall the carpet usually compresses in the front and the tack strip in the back makes the stand lean out from the wall. Last tank I pulled the carpet up in the corner, removed the strip and put the carpet back in place. The tank sits much better and my stand is tighter to the wall.
K1963158 and K1963158 like this.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Thanks for the tips.

Yep I know about the patting down and not rubbing technique, but sometimes I think the machine as mentioned is the only way to really get it clean.

@Kubla that's a good point about the strip, I have to see how my tank sits with the strip in.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-21-2016, 11:33 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ok....... I flooded tank twice and it sucks. Took 1 week to get it in order with all the fans running 24/7. Cant imagine if this happened in winter. Don't use python for water change period!!!!. It doesn't matter how alert you are, [censored][censored][censored][censored] happens.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 12:04 AM
Algae Grower

FWIW, I was acutely paranoid when I set up our 55 over 10 years ago about the weight, not knowing anything about online calculators (newer house, but you never know...) So I cut and stained a 2'x4.5' piece of 1/2" plywood down before putting in the stand and tank, on the theory that it would distribute the weight evenly across the entire 9 square foot area (using thicker plywood so it wouldn't flex or break).

This might distribute the weight enough to cause minimal permanent damage to carpeting. We installed super-hard wearing (non-plush) carpeting because of cats and dogs living together, and I don't expect any issues when we move.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 04:50 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercrayfish View Post
Ok....... I flooded tank twice and it sucks. Took 1 week to get it in order with all the fans running 24/7. Cant imagine if this happened in winter. Don't use python for water change period!!!!. It doesn't matter how alert you are, [censored][censored][censored][censored] happens.
I hear ya. This is what I'm afraid of. Water just finds a way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff B. View Post
FWIW, I was acutely paranoid when I set up our 55 over 10 years ago about the weight, not knowing anything about online calculators (newer house, but you never know...) So I cut and stained a 2'x4.5' piece of 1/2" plywood down before putting in the stand and tank, on the theory that it would distribute the weight evenly across the entire 9 square foot area (using thicker plywood so it wouldn't flex or break).

This might distribute the weight enough to cause minimal permanent damage to carpeting. We installed super-hard wearing (non-plush) carpeting because of cats and dogs living together, and I don't expect any issues when we move.
Thanks, luckily the carpeting is very low so the indent won't be a problem, really just concerned about water.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 05:58 PM
Wannabe Guru

I have a couple of those super absorbent 'Shamwow' type towels that soak up any spills really well. If there was a major calamity (as someone mentioned), I'd get out the SpotBot or the Bissel carpet (extractor) cleaner.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-22-2016, 06:49 PM Thread Starter
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I have a couple of those super absorbent 'Shamwow' type towels that soak up any spills really well. If there was a major calamity (as someone mentioned), I'd get out the SpotBot or the Bissel carpet (extractor) cleaner.

Agree with you on that

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode