New to Aquariums in general, Looking for advice to get started - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to Aquariums in general, Looking for advice to get started

As the topic states I am wanting to get into aquariums as a hobby, specifically fresh water planted aquariums and aquascaping. I have never owned fish or maintained an aquarium, but I am eager to learn. Perhaps some general websites or tips would be fitting. Any sort of website that lists numerous variations of freshwater fish and their life spans would be a good start, e.g. not just the general life span of "tetras" but all the other tetras as well e.g. phantom, neon blue etc.

Also whats the typical cost for a decent aquarium. I know typical here varies depending on tank size, fish, plants, etc. but for a "decent" set up (subjective I know), what cost range am I looking at? So far I have been reading up on one of the suggest sites for beginners in the forums FAQ (http://www.rexgrigg.com/).

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Hmmm... For 29g low tech planted tank, you will probably spend $300-400. If you go high tech, you will probably have to spend something in the $600-900, as a CO2 system costs around $300. For good sites, take a look at http://badmanstropicalfish.com/
and http://www.aquajake.com/blog/nutrients-and-fertilizers/

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks Jake! This website has its own guide for 20$, does anyone here use it and have any comments about it good or bad? Its the tab that says "Planted Tank Guide" at the top of the page.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmf0106 View Post
Thanks Jake! This website has its own guide for 20$, does anyone here use it and have any comments about it good or bad? Its the tab that says "Planted Tank Guide" at the top of the page.
I would say it is a good buy, atleast from hearing reviews of it by members here. (I haven't bought it yet!)

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
I've read the guide and highly recommend it for someone starting out. It even breaks down the equipments and costs for you.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone. Two questions:

1. I am currently looking to purchase a tank. The aesthetics of the Fluval Edge are great; however, the tank capacity is too small (6 gallons). Does anyone have any recommendations for the 15-20 gallon threshold, additionally could you suggest a good website to purchase fish aquariums?

2. Could someone provide a website that shows freshwater fish species and their average lifespan?

Thank you.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you want a cool rimless tank, you cant beat ADA or Green Leaf Aquarium's rimless aquariums.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 04:52 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Jake is right, but if you don't have the funds for a GLA or ADA, you can get a Mr. Aqua rimless. Quality isn't on par with GLA or ADA, but it is more affordable.

Some fish information:
http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/
http://www.aquaticcommunity.com/
http://fishprofiles.com/profiles/freshwater/
http://www.fishlore.com/freshwaterfish.htm

Not sure how much these will help you, but I did a google for it.

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
One thing I would suggest is, when choosing a size, try and pick one that is 24, 36, or 48 inches. Most lighting options out there, and the bulbs, are designed with those sizes in mind, so you will have an easier time finding an appropriate length light, and will get better light coverage.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-28-2010, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the suggestions. Would the Planted Tank Guide from this website likely be sufficient enough to begin this hobby, or do you suggest I get supplemental material as well. If so, what does the community recommend?
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 12:16 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (100/100%)
This site is a big help to someone starting a planted tank like me.
Most of the stuff from what materials to get, how to set up a tank, livestock care and specially plant care can be found here.
Supplemental materials are readily available all over the internet. Just be patient in doing research.
For some fish info, Drs foster and smith site has been a help to me and so is wikipedia. When you have a specific fish or plant in mind just google it and you'll definitely find a ton of info about them.

As for the edge tank. It really is a good one style wise. I currently own one.
Livestock and plant choice would be limited due to the size but when you have it set up it's definitely worth it.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (59/100%)
you can either get an ada style rimless tank now or you can drool over them and wish you had one for a few years till you finally break down and get one.

i havent gone through the planted tank guide but looked at the preview and it seems like a pretty good source of information.

this site is incredible. stick around, ask questions and read threads. i'm on 5 or so different forums and this is my favorite. you'll learn a lot here.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-29-2010, 03:04 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
IMO to start a successful planted tank you can find all of the required information here. Between the myriad of posts on the board and the links contained within the posts you really can't go wrong. Feel free to ask questions. There are very many big brained tank heads around here.

Fraternity of Dirt #30 - SunSun Pimp Club #20 - Eheim Pimp Club #412

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode