Help! New Tank! 20 Gallon Long [Need Advice] - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help! New Tank! 20 Gallon Long [Need Advice]

Hi guys,

I'm semi-new to this forum, I have been PMing and asking specifics from some people but I decided making a thread might be a bit easier to follow.

I'm moving to college next year (UCSD) and I want to start up a new 20 gallon long. I have had 8 tanks in the past ranging from 5 gallons to 55 gallons, and I have mainly dealt with African Cichlids. Now I am interested in freshwater plants and tropical fish (more for aesthetics than anything). I had fun with cichlids but the constant breeding and selling of fish became too much for me to handle.

So I have already decided on a glass 20 gallon long tank. Now I need help understanding how to start and maintain a tank for these specific fish and plants: L144 Blue Eyed Yellow Bristlenose Pleco (1), Neon Tetras (6-8), Cherry Shrimp (8-10), Blyxa Japonica (or something similar that will grow taller so I can run it along the back of the tank), and Dwarf Hair Grass.

I want to keep the tank simple since it is my first experience with plants. Also I want the tank to look similar to the one in this thread here. With the DHG in the foreground and the Japonica (or something that grows taller) in the back. I will also be getting a few small river rocks for the middle ground in the tank. I know I need driftwood for the pleco so I will get a piece of that as well.

With my current stock list I just need to know what kind and how much lighting I need, what filtration would be sufficient (maybe even over filter it since I would rather be safe than sorry), and how to run my CO2 system (I don't know much about CO2 yet).

EDIT: Also I have been referred to this website for lighting, does anyone else think this would be a good idea? Should I run my tank as an open top? If so how would I hang my lighting above it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-23-2010, 11:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Bump, 43 views and still no advice? Come on guys!
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:05 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Welcome to the forum!

A pressurized co2 system would be best for DHG, so i'd invest in a good system if i were you. In most cases, DHG in low-tech tanks seems to rot. It sounds like you're wanting to go the high-tech route, which gives you a lot more flexibility in your plant selection.

Here's a few helpful links/videos about pressurized co2 systems:
Video
Information about the parts of a Co2 System

For filtration, have you looked into Eheim classic canister filters? A 2215 or 2217 would probably work well in a 20 gallon. Over-filtration is always a good thing, so maybe the 2217? There's a few people on this forum who've used that model in 20 gallons i think, and i remember the only issue being that the flow is pretty strong. You could always get a valve to control the flow.

Quite a few options for lighting... with co2 you can have a very bright light.
Check out the Catalina Aquarium webpage. I've heard a lot of great things about their lights. You can also look into fishneedit light fixtures, but the reviews on them are kinda iffy...

Hope this helps.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:30 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks I really appreciate it, I have also been reading up on CO2 systems, and I will be going ahead and using a pressurized system. How big of a canister should I buy for a 20 gallon. My budget for the CO2 is preferably under 100-120
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 05:07 AM
Honeycomb Master

PTrader: (122/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DwarfGrass View Post
Thanks I really appreciate it, I have also been reading up on CO2 systems, and I will be going ahead and using a pressurized system. How big of a canister should I buy for a 20 gallon. My budget for the CO2 is preferably under 100-120
I would pick up the Eheim 2217 Classic Canister filter if i were you. You can get them new (with media included) for around $150, which is a great deal for such an amazing filter. They used to sell for around $90 a few months ago, but i'm not sure why the price was jacked up so high... maybe they stopped manufacturing them?

Eheim Filter 2217- Plus Kit (Bigalsonline.com)

You can probably get a nice co2 setup for around $120, but you're going to have to do some searching to find some good deals.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-24-2010, 12:39 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have a 20g long with this light on it:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS...lestriplight30

This tank has been set up 3 months, I haven't seen any algae yet, and the plants are growing, slowly. I don't think I would use a T5HO on such a shallow tank. I use excel on this tank, it works nicely.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

By excel do you mean flourish excel the additive?
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:43 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
yes, liquid carbon
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-26-2010, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzFishKid View Post
I would pick up the Eheim 2217 Classic Canister filter if i were you. You can get them new (with media included) for around $150, which is a great deal for such an amazing filter. They used to sell for around $90 a few months ago, but i'm not sure why the price was jacked up so high... maybe they stopped manufacturing them?

Eheim Filter 2217- Plus Kit (Bigalsonline.com)

You can probably get a nice co2 setup for around $120, but you're going to have to do some searching to find some good deals.
Why would I need such a heavy duty filter for such a small tank? Don't those usually power tanks up to 100 gallons?!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode