Question what could be the possible things to change water para

Hi folks,

I just did a regular water test today. Here is the numbers:
Nitrate: 0
Nitrite: 0
PH: 9.0!
KH: 240
GH: 0

So PH was 7.5 last time. KH, I'm not sure what's that.
So I want to ask what could possibly happened to my water since last time to cause a PH rise.

Here are some factors I can identify,

1. I regularly dose CO2 booster, and have a 12 hours lighting daily.
2. Recently I add some substrate into the tank(Eco-complete)
3. I sent my shrimps to my new tank and add one betta fish this month, and I fed bloodworm to the fish
4. I add new API root tab this month. Last time was 2 month ago, and for 5.5 gallon tank I used three tabs
5. I introduced some pond snail into the tank this month(half has died, might leave bodies in the tank)
6. I add 3 drops of "praziPro' in three day(1 drop pre day) to get rid of worms this month, and all water worms/bugs disappeared.

And here are some difference I observed recently,
1. White algae(fungus?) began to show up on my wood(never happened since the beginning of my tank setup)
2. Snail are dying
3. Betta showed signs of stress.
4. Hydrocotyle tripartita went brown and began to die day by day( I have four types of plants in my tank, only Ht showed signs of death, others, grew crazy fast than ever). Now I removed my Ht to my nano tank only have plants(It is getting better now)

Here are some other factors:
1. I use a canister filter, inside filter, there are Active carbon, purigen and Biomax inside
2. My tank is a 5.5 gallon tank, Eco-complete substrate
3. I did a water change yesterday.

Thank u all
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Idk much but might be substrate
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmartin View Post
Idk much but might be substrate
sounds reasonable.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-03-2016, 06:50 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I have eco complete. It doesn't seem to effect the PH, but my water is hard and stays the same PH in the tank even with mopani wood.

Did you test the water you use for water changes? Is it 7.5 like the tank water used to be? Do you have rocks in your tank that could be leeching minerals?

If you are done using prazipro, get it out of your water with water changes and charcoal. Besides the PH swing, the meds may be helping to stress your Betta.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 08:03 AM
Wannabe Guru

If your using tap water, you may find that it varies seasonally. This could be part of your problem.

A pH of 9 is extraordinary high. People that keep SW systems would consider this reading high.

The first think I would do is make sure your test kit is good. Test your tap water and see what that is compared to your tank. pH test kits are cheep, so you might want to get another one anyway, just to be sure.

If the test kit is good, I agree with the others, check out your substrate and other rocks. They are the most likely suspects.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-04-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveK View Post
If your using tap water, you may find that it varies seasonally. This could be part of your problem.

A pH of 9 is extraordinary high. People that keep SW systems would consider this reading high.

The first think I would do is make sure your test kit is good. Test your tap water and see what that is compared to your tank. pH test kits are cheep, so you might want to get another one anyway, just to be sure.

If the test kit is good, I agree with the others, check out your substrate and other rocks. They are the most likely suspects.
Yes, I end up tested the tap water at my home, omg it has a high PH reading

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Varmint View Post
I have eco complete. It doesn't seem to effect the PH, but my water is hard and stays the same PH in the tank even with mopani wood.

Did you test the water you use for water changes? Is it 7.5 like the tank water used to be? Do you have rocks in your tank that could be leeching minerals?

If you are done using prazipro, get it out of your water with water changes and charcoal. Besides the PH swing, the meds may be helping to stress your Betta.
I ended up found my tap water has high PH reading.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 10-05-2016, 01:59 AM
Wannabe Guru

This looks like you have really hard alkaline water. Usually, for most people, tap water works fine. For your tank though, you might want to get some distilled water when your grocery shopping and use a mix of that and tap water to get a much lower pH and KH.

This will work well in a 5 1/2 tank. If you had a large tank, then I would suggest getting an RO unit and using the water from that, with tap water. Long term for large amounts of water RO is less expensive.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode