heater - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
heater

what is the wattage on a heater for a 10 gallon heavily planted tank?

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
what is the wattage on a heater for a 10 gallon heavily planted tank?

thanks guys
this will VARY due to ambient temp if u do some research (google) u can find the chart for how many watts u need for the diff in ambient temp. is it near a window that stays open? if so a stronger heater is needed. 100w should be fine but do YOUR research as u will make a better choice of your conditions.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 01:08 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
The general "rule of thumb" is 3-5 watts per gallon. I usually run 50 watt heaters on my 10gal tanks.

You'll need more wattage in situations where you need to keep tank temps much higher than the ambient room temperature, however, so keep that in mind.

Nothing wrong with running a 100 watt heater on a 10gal tank, either.

I'd stay away from "preset" heaters- IME those don't hold a temperature well and you can't compensate for weather changes. I find I usually have to raise and lower the setting on my adjustable heaters by a few degrees each time the season changes (which is a result of the different temperature we keep inside the house...)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

yea the tank will be no where near a window or vents. and its getting close to summer so the ac will be on but its not close to that either. 100 might work just keep an eye on the thermometer and adjust when necessary. what is the proper temp. like i said in my other posts im used to coral not plants. coral was a pain in the ass. i had to water changes every week add salt, scrub diatoms..aahhhh
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 09:23 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpie View Post
yea the tank will be no where near a window or vents. and its getting close to summer so the ac will be on but its not close to that either. 100 might work just keep an eye on the thermometer and adjust when necessary. what is the proper temp. like i said in my other posts im used to coral not plants. coral was a pain in the ass. i had to water changes every week add salt, scrub diatoms..aahhhh
there is no proper temp EVERY fish has diff requirements as they come from diff part of the world so do your research on what species has what requirements ext ext. some fish dont need heaters as some need very stable enviroments every thing is case by case basis just like saltwater so as i said befor research what ur looking into befor u splerge or you will just be throwing more cash at it than is needed. failing to do research and just taking advice will only lead to dissapointment cause if someone give u wrong advice its ur loss not theres so looks like u got some homework. google info then ask ?'s
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

i only want a school of cardinal tetras (5-6) hate doing water changes. what temp. should most plants be kept at. plants come first and ill work the fish around that.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 10:28 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Mid to high 70s F works for most plants and tropical fish.

I keep my Cardinal tanks around 80F though.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode