Just set up my pressurized co2 system, pH has dropped about .7 from 7.2 to 6.5~ - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-15-2010, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Just set up my pressurized co2 system, pH has dropped about .7 from 7.2 to 6.5~

Hey everyone,
I finally got everything i needed for my pressurized system. I had everything set up before the lights were scheduled to come on, and once they did i started tweaking the bbs.

tank size: 20G
pH before: 7.1-7.2
pH after 4 hours: 6.6~
i reduced the output pressure on my azoo from 80 psi to around 40 when the needle valve is closed. But just noticed that the output pressure is near 0, maybe 10 at max. Is that something i should worry about?
Is a .7 drop in pH going to harm the fish?

EDIT: I figured that i would have a finer control over it at a lower pressure. Right, wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

If any help, It's currently holding 70 BPM and dissolving most of the co2 on the ladder. i'd say 95%
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:34 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (11/100%)
Congratulations on getting your new CO2 rig set up!

Couple of quick things. I can't help you with the Azoo reg since I have never used one but it doesn't sound healthy that the low pressure gauge dropped from 40 to 10 lbs or less. With a lot of regulators you need to be careful when you hook them up. The adjustment knob for the low-pressure gauge needs to be backed off as far as possible before you open up the CO2 cylinder or you can blow the low-pressure gauge. Once the cylinder is open you can bring the low pressure up. I keep mine at 20 lbs but I have a different needle valve and regulator. Hopefully someone with an azoo can let you know a good pressure setting to use with it.

Are you using a drop checker or anything to monitor your CO2 levels? A drop checker can be very helpful in setting your bubble rate when you are new to CO2.

If you have fish in the tank be very careful. Never increase the CO2 rate if you are not going to be home to watch the tank. It is best to make a small increase once a day, if you aren't going to be home wait until you will be. CO2 levels can build up by the end of the day. Whenever I have a problem and my fish don't look happy it is near the end of the photoperiod so keep a close eye on the tank until you have the CO2 rate dialed in. Slow is always good with CO2, it is going to take your plants time to acclimate to it anyway and it is easy to kill your fish if you are not careful. Make sure you have a nice amount of rippling on the surface so there is enough O2 for your fish, just don't let the ripples break the surface.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 12:47 AM
Wannabe Guru

70 bpm sounds like a fairly conservative level if the count is accurate, for a 20 gallon 1 bps seems like a good starting point. If the bubble rate is holding steady the regulator is probably fine too.

Still keep an eye on the things until you are sure that the bubble rate is staying steady and that the fish aren't stressed.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 01:48 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

The azoo comes with a factory set 80 PSI evidently, i was suprised at this. so i brought it down originally to 40 PSI with the solenoid off, so maybe that's why.
After 6 hours or so, the plants are pearling quite nicely. No stress signs from the fish, just as lively as usual. If anything, they are more lively. pH has dropped and is holding steady at 6.6 I've been testing every hour or so.

I'm not using a drop checker right now, but i'm keeping a very close eye on the pH and fish breathing etc. The bubble rate is still holding steady and the PSI of the output guage is still holding just above 30PSI after 3-4 hours.

EDIT: I think the pressure drop first happened just because I was messing around with the needle valve a bit, but not certain.

Another thing comes into play now though... Do you use dry ferts? and if you do, any particular place you get them

thanks again
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

Sounds like you are on the right track.

Yes, if you are not fertilizing the tank you will need to now that you are injecting CO2. I dose EI style and always get my dry ferts from the source below. Order early enough in the day and they ship the same day, packages are sent USPS Priority mail so they arrive quickly.

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Fordtrannyman sells ferts in the SnS. I get mine from him. He ships fast and packages well. He has a good seller reputation and is a menber of S.C.A.P.E.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

In the past 2 days i'm seeing decent pearling, but it seems like the regulator output pressure wants to fade a bit.
Another question is, how can i put money onto paypal if i don't have a debit/credit card.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 05-17-2010, 06:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
That drop sounds fine, about the same I see.

For paypal, you need to validate your checking account. You give paypal the account information and they make 2 small 1-11 cent deposits in the account. It takes about 3 days, then you call rbank, ask what the charges where. When you have to go to paypal and charge them back the same amount. That way they know the account is real and you have control over it. Then you can move $ from your checking account to paypal and vice versa. These transactions normally take 3 days.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode