Need to know if this is safe - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 4 Post By TINNGG

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need to know if this is safe

I have a 20 gallon long that was filled with eco-complete and had the filter setup, I went to a LFS and got some plants. They gave me 13 fish to cycle the aquarium. I know it was way too much and the certain plants they gave me were too big for my aquarium. I personally didn't go to the store as I wasn't able to then. I then returned all of the plants and fish. I was thinking about selling everything and getting rid of it. So I drained the water as much as a I can. I also scooped as much of the eco-complete as I can in 2 5 gallon buckets.

The tank and buckets has been sitting there for maybe 2-3 weeks, maybe longer. Would it be safe to use the same aquarium and eco-complete. If I am able to, what would I need to do. Keep in mind all of those fish, maybe they had illnesses (I didn't feed them during the 1-2 days I had them), also the plants and the dead leaves and such that is still on the bottom.

I am just wondering if there would be some bad bacteria or something that I would need to address. Petco said they sell a 20 gallon long for $20 again tomorrow and I am fine to buy another tank. I also need to get another 20 lbs of eco-complete anyway as 2 20 lb bags didn't seem enough unless I was just having trouble planting the plants. It did seem too shallow though. The specific plant I had trouble with was Giant sagittaria. But if I would need a new 20 gallon, wouldn't I have to buy another 2 20 lbs bags of eco-complete on top of the 1 I was planning on too. I don't want to spend all that extra when I could use all that on plants.

The tank and buckets don't smell bad if that would matter. It is open top for now so some water has evaporated but there is still some left. I also didn't put the light on at all.

So could you please help me know if it is safe and if there are precautions I need to take. Thanks

Last edited by Aqua3; 09-25-2016 at 11:45 AM. Reason: edited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:09 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
Just rinse everything out. If you're really concerned, you can put the eco complete back in the tank and allow it to dry completely. Most diseases don't survive that long without a host (or water). As for the depth... that's kinda up to you. You have to remember that your tank is shallow and you're going for balance - what's an appropriate depth for a 55 will look like there's more substrate than water in a 20L.
Hoppy, Hoppy, AbbeysDad and 1 others like this.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 01:50 PM
Wannabe Guru

+1 - Just give everything a good rinsing with clean water.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 04:14 PM
Planted Member

Aqua3, what the heck are you doing man. You could have cycled 2 or 3 tanks since you've been posting about this 20G, trying to make everything perfect. Wash out the tank and gravel, dechlorinate it, set it back up, look at some Aquascape pictures for ideas and inspiration, and put 2 or 3 feeder guppies in there. This isn't rocket science, nor is it cultivating vegetables in the Space Station. It's a fish tank with some plants.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albtraum View Post
Aqua3, what the heck are you doing man. You could have cycled 2 or 3 tanks since you've been posting about this 20G, trying to make everything perfect. Wash out the tank and gravel, dechlorinate it, set it back up, look at some Aquascape pictures for ideas and inspiration, and put 2 or 3 feeder guppies in there. This isn't rocket science, nor is it cultivating vegetables in the Space Station. It's a fish tank with some plants.
I wouldn't have said it quite that way, but I agree that there is no reason to be super cautious. If you are planning to put some really expensive fish in the tank you might have a good reason to be cautious, just to avoid wasting money, but run of the mill fish and plants are hardy enough that just setting up the tank, letting the plants get started growing, then add just 2-3 small fish, wait another week or so, and add a few more, etc. will almost always work fine.

Hoppy
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 10:58 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I wouldn't have said it quite that way, but I agree that there is no reason to be super cautious. If you are planning to put some really expensive fish in the tank you might have a good reason to be cautious, just to avoid wasting money, but run of the mill fish and plants are hardy enough that just setting up the tank, letting the plants get started growing, then add just 2-3 small fish, wait another week or so, and add a few more, etc. will almost always work fine.
Thank you, I tend to overthink things and just didn't want to get into any problems in the future.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 11:12 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (30/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua3 View Post
. . . and just didn't want to get into any problems in the future.
As they say, "measure twice, cut once".

I Want A Golden Goose!
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2016, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did forget one thing, not sure if I am still overthinking or it could cause a problem. I had a separate bucket that I poured the water from the fish store that the plants and fish were in. I put the gravel vacuum and intake sponge in that bucket. Would it be safe to just run those 2 things under tap water and it would be safe to put in the aquarium? Thanks
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-29-2016, 10:53 AM

Just rinse it well and let it dry, you'll be fine

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode