How Liquid carbon is assimilated by aquatic plants - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
How Liquid carbon is assimilated by aquatic plants

Dear all,

I have been roaming the Internet in search for a scientific explanation of how aquatic plants absorb liquid carbons (LC) (Excel, Easycarbo for the most widespread trade products): Unsuccessful. Could someone present it or introduce a hyperlink. My interest lies in how much lighting is required when plants are fed with LC, compared to the classical COČ gas.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:37 AM
Banned

You're better looking for "glutaraldehyde" (not "liquid carbon" or similar hobbyists' terms):
1) http://www.caiber.com/info/UCARCIDE%20CATALOGO.pdf
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 02:35 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Question what microbe can degrade the aldehyde ?

thanks.

At page 7, it is mentioned that the aldehyde is degraded into coČ by microbes, but which microbe ? Because the molecule is sold as a biocid, exterminating some bacteria. What is left to break it down into COČ ?
More concerning: I am starting up the tank, not sure that the tank has enough of those bacteria to degrade the aldehyde ?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 03:19 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
The plants supposedly take in the aldehyde directly. It's not efficient as using CO2. You'd have better results using CO2 although glutaraldehyde is a good algaecide too.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:03 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
The plants supposedly take in the aldehyde directly. It's not efficient as using CO2. You'd have better results using CO2 although glutaraldehyde is a good algaecide too.
So is it a photosynthetic process ? Do plants still need light to take glu...hyde ?
How come people claim they use it in addition to COČ ? And not especially for its algeacid properties.
i wish i could have more room and money to afford a COČ system for my small tank. I just want to try out glutaldehyde as a cheap ersatz to COČ to grow my carpet plants before populating it with fishes.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 12:33 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tran View Post
Dear all,
..... My interest lies in how much lighting is required when plants are fed with LC, compared to the classical COČ gas.
That is backward. Using CO2 or Excel, etc. do not make the plants require a certain amount of light. Any amount of light is fine. But, if you use high light, that makes the plants try to grow very rapidly, which means they need adequate amounts of all of the various nutrients, including CO2 (or Excel), to support that growth rate. Excel can be an adequate supply of carbon if the light intensity is medium intensity, but it is not enough if you have high light intensity. I believe that is because the process by which plants get carbon from Excel isn't very efficient, so there is a limit on how much they can use. Just keep in mind that the growth rate of plants is determined by how intense the light is. The nutrients must then be adequate to sustain that growth rate.

Hoppy
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-26-2016, 01:17 AM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Quote:
So is it a photosynthetic process ? Do plants still need light to take glu...hyde ?
Yes, plants need light to process nutrients, CO2 or aldehyde.

Quote:
How come people claim they use it in addition to COČ ? And not especially for its algeacid properties.
They're mistaken if they say that. It's more correct to say 'additional carbon'. It's well known to people who use it that it's an algaecide. I use it sometime only for its algaecide properties. It is used to kill germs after all, meaning it is toxic at a certain concentration.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode