Tidal Mangrove Upgrade - your concerns - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 12:00 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Tidal Mangrove Upgrade - your concerns

This is the tank I have now:

[20 long, dirt+sand substrate, mangroves, endler guppies, ghost shrimp]

I would love for my mangroves to shove out some nice prop roots, so I'd like to upgrade this tank to have tides. I really really don't want to strip this tank down, so this project can't involve drilling this tank or anything like that.

I don't want to mess around with pumps on timers, solenoids, or anything like that. I don't need perfectly replicated tides - just some sort of water level change that's enough to stimulate prop root growth.

So I came up with this:

Water is constantly pumped out of display tank into the reservoir tank. When reservoir tank is filled to a certain level, it is emptied back into the display tank by a bell siphon. If the bell siphon fails for any reason, an overflow drains directly into the display.

I am planning on using 3/4" PVC pipe.
Reservoir will be ~8 gallons.

Two questions:

1) I don't have a lot of time or money for projects right now, so I really want to make sure I get this right the first time. Do you guys see anything that could go wrong with this?

2) What's the cheapest way for me to make the reservoir?
- I don't have enough 1/4" acrylic to make the whole thing. Plywood sides?
- Can I use a store bought 10 gallon? Can those even be drilled?

Thanks so much for reading all of this!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 01:10 AM
Wannabe Guru

Looks like a great idea (assuming it grows the roots) a bell siphon should work. Keep in mind your emergency drain can't be tired into your bell as it is in your drawing. For a container, a plastic tub or something similar would be easier to work with

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Help build the [
] and [
]
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-21-2016, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Thanks for the feedback!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatermusic87 View Post
Keep in mind your emergency drain can't be tired into your bell as it is in your drawing.
Haha yeah, that was my intention - it's just not a very good drawing.

Quote:
For a container, a plastic tub or something similar would be easier to work with
So unattractive though
I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I found an old 10 gallon that I drilled a hole in the side of a couple of years ago. It cracked a lot, but I somehow managed to completely reconstruct the panel with a big ugly glob of silicone. Might try the same thing for the bottom panel. Might also have to return to this forum soon for water damage remediation advice.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 09:00 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mangrove tank - Reef Central Online Community

^^Sorry, I thought you might want to take a look at this RC thread. I don't think the OP actually utilizes tides for prop roots, but I don't really know anything about mangroves...

So many fish to keep, not enough aquaria.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-25-2016, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

Ahh, what a lovely mangrove reef tank! Those baskets are a little garish, but so much life!

Decided to go with the 10 gallon. My weakest water pump is too powerful - at lowest flow it still pumps in too much water for the siphon to break. I'm waiting on a 4.5 watt pump to come in tomorrow. Hopefully that will be slow enough.

I did end up cracking a side panel of the 10 gallon while drilling the overflow hole, but some liberal application of silicone and some acrylic scraps should hold it together okay... I think?

The tank stand is not my best work. Wanted to save money and go green, so I made it out of some bits of a bed frame I found on the street. Was a bit of a rush job, but it should at least keep the tank high enough for the siphon to work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 1.10.38 PM.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	674474  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-09-25 at 1.15.16 PM.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	77.6 KB
ID:	674522  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode