Nano DIY c02 and other higher tech questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Nano DIY c02 and other higher tech questions

Well this is my first foray into higher tech tanks. I came across a 5.5 gal tank a while ago and decided to bring my hobby to work lol. I have a very sucsessfull low tech 36 gal tank going at the moment, but decided to step it up a bit for my 5.5. I currently am doing DIY CO2 injection. My main concern is with air exchange. I have a Plexiglas top made by my father in law on the tank. There is only one small cut out to let the equipment come from under it. I have been filling the tank all the way to the top and get a very nice effect (think edge) My main concern is with the air exchange. The CO2 is able to stay in the tank for very long periods due to it being trapped against the top. Eventually the bubble will get big enough to roll over to the opening left for equipment and roll out of the tank. Now my main question is with the O2 being introduced or lack of O2 to be absorbed in the water due to lack of surface area being open to the atmosphere. Is this something I should be concerned about? I just pulled a handful of rams horns into the tank to help with my algae outbreak, I did notice that they go to that one area of the tank where the equipment is, they do not seem to be trying to crawl out of the tank, but just sitting there against the surface of the water.

My second question has to do with my marsilea quadrifolia in the 5.5. how long does it take to convert to the aquatic form? I have trimmed off the long stems, but the darn thing keeps sending more up lol.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 01:48 AM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Test the water with a feeder goldfish.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 03:00 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
I would rather not put something through that. I did a huge water change this eve to start to combat the algae outbreak, and left the top off. The snails are happily grazing around the tank, unlike earlier when they went right to the opening.

I wonder if putting an air stone in the tank would help, since there is not going to be any surface agitation.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 03:23 AM
Planted Tank VIP

Definately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 04:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chad320 View Post
That's a ridiculous idea. An O2 test kit would be a much more accurate way of telling how much O2 saturation is in the water rather than just observing the fish and seeing if it's gasping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noahma View Post
I wonder if putting an air stone in the tank would help, since there is not going to be any surface agitation.
The problem with this (something I'm familiar with in my Edge) is that the gas bubbles would all collect underneath the plexiglass top with nowhere to go. When you get a lot it doesn't look very nice and also ruins the effect.

Is a sump something you'd consider?

Tony

My

and my

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 06:04 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLE041 View Post
That's a ridiculous idea. An O2 test kit would be a much more accurate way of telling how much O2 saturation is in the water rather than just observing the fish and seeing if it's gasping.

The problem with this (something I'm familiar with in my Edge) is that the gas bubbles would all collect underneath the plexiglass top with nowhere to go. When you get a lot it doesn't look very nice and also ruins the effect.

Is a sump something you'd consider?
The problem being that the tank must fit in a smaller corner of my work desk. I have very little space available, and it must take as little work as possible. (also the desk is built into the wall)

The bubbles were something that was a bit of an annoyance. I thought about going back to strictly dosing Excel, and leaving the CO2 for a future larger tank.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-12-2010, 09:34 PM
Planted Tank VIP

@TLE041 Ive used the goldfish method several times on ponds outdoors so its not a "rediculous idea." A rediculous idea is putting a sump on a 5g or paying for an O2 test kit for one simple answer. But to each his own.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Well, I thought this might help, so I am giving it a try. I added a red sea nano HOB filter today, figuring that there will be some O2 driven into the water by the filter. It seems to be a pretty popular nano filter, so I figured what the hell, its worth the try. I also increased the size of my opening in the top my FIL made for me.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 03:44 AM
Planted Tank VIP

you could try putting an airstone in your HOB and DIYing some popsiskle sticks to lean your glass to the back to vent the air bubble accumulation.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:13 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
HOB and air stones add O2 to the water because they increase the surface of the water exposed to the air due to rippling of the surface not because the O2 in the bubbles diffuses into the water although with your extreme situation there probably would be some. Possibly if the HOB has one of those bio wheels it would add more O2? A sump would be perfect in this situation. You could decrease livestock to levels that can survive in the tiny bit of water exposed to the air.

I would drop the water level or modify the cover so it doesn't touch the water's surface unless I could do a sump. Seems to me your snails reaction is a big help here.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-13-2010, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathyy View Post
HOB and air stones add O2 to the water because they increase the surface of the water exposed to the air due to rippling of the surface not because the O2 in the bubbles diffuses into the water although with your extreme situation there probably would be some. Possibly if the HOB has one of those bio wheels it would add more O2? A sump would be perfect in this situation. You could decrease livestock to levels that can survive in the tiny bit of water exposed to the air.

I would drop the water level or modify the cover so it doesn't touch the water's surface unless I could do a sump. Seems to me your snails reaction is a big help here.
I did end up dropping the water level. I don't like it as much, but if it keeps the snails happy (and eventually either shrimp or some nano fish) I will be happy, now to get this algae issue under control lol. There is a 1/2-3/4" gap of air between the lid and the water surface, along with the equipment hole being enlarged to around 6"x3" in the back corner of the tank.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode