• 4 Post By Seattle_Aquarist
  • 2 Post By Fishnshrimp2
  • 2 Post By mistergreen

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi,

I'm supposed to received today a few plants from a friend. He grew the plants in the emerge way and I have a few question about: How is the best way to plant this plants in my aquarium.

I have to eliminate all the leaves before planted them under water?

If they have too much roots, do I need to cut them at least a little?

I really appreciate any help!

Thank you

I'll received echinodorus, cryps, bacopa, repens rubin, sagittaria, plants like that!

Last edited by Darkblade48; 09-17-2016 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:33 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi jlugo89,

It might help to know which species you are going to receive however as a general rule plant them just as you would plant submerged grown plants. Some species may lose most/all of their leaves and some species may make the transition with minimal if any leaf loss. Along with the propensity of the species if an emersed grown plant is grown in high humidity is will more easily transition to submerged growth with less leaf loss. Why? Because the cuticle layer of the leaf will be thinner in plants grown in high humidity thereby making the transition less stressful.

Yes, you may shorten the roots (root pruning) if they are unduly long, just leave enough so the plants will stay in the substrate and have enough root area to absorb nutrients.....I do it all the time with my plants.

Roy_________
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
When I transition plants from emersed to submersed I keep the leaves on the plants, just in case they do not shed them and so I remember what I planted where. You should be able to cut the roots a little if you want without a negative impact on the plant.
jlugo89 and jlugo89 like this.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi jlugo89,

With those species you can certainly do some root pruning, you may even have some aerial roots on the Bacopa and Ludwigia repens and Ludwigia rubin. I would only do whatever root pruning is necessary to plant them on the echinodorus (now Helanthium) species and crytocorynes.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2016, 06:55 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Just dunk them in clean water and plant. Remove any discolored/weak leaves. Break off any large chunks into smaller plants. It gives the plants more access to light, and nutrients.
jlugo89 and jlugo89 like this.

Tags
emersed, planted, plants, submersed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode