Okay no really, everything in my tank seems to be going contrary to everything I've read and everything I've been suggested.
I've had my Amazing Aqualife 4x24w light fixture on my 26g bow front for 3 weeks. The tank itself has been up and running for over 3 months now. I dose Flourish Excel every other day and do about a 15% water change weekly. (That's the basics covered)
Now I was scared that when I upgraded my light fixture that I'd have huge algae issues and many people told me that I had to go with CO2. I'm not ready to put down an investment in pressurized CO2 just yet so I did a DIY. The first 2 weeks everything was going great, the lights were amazing, everything seemed happy and healthy and the CO2 was working, or at least from what I could tell it was.
Well 2 things happened over the weekend and I don't know why. The first thing was I noticed some major green algae on the upper leaves at the top of the tank (the large sword leaves). Second, I checked my PH and it had gone insane. Usually my PH is about 7.6 and it had climbed up to 8.4 from Thursday evening to Sunday. I actually checked it because a bunch of my cherry shrimp were missing and I had no idea why. One a positive note I saw some of my plants pearling for the first time ever on Saturday evening so I thought everything was going well.
I need to know what I did wrong though and how to fix it. I've pulled the CO2 for the moment, I actually did lower the time the lights were on by 2 hours last week from 10 hours to 7.5 hours with the 2 10000k lights only on for 4 hours and the 6700k lights on for 7.5. I did an immediate water change on Sunday when I saw the PH was so high though that might have been a mistake as well I'm not sure.
I just did to many things at once and I'm not sure what thing I did wrong because my tank was 100% maintenance free before I changed the lights and the CO2 and now I have disaster on my hands.