tips on what i need to do to my planted tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 09:26 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
tips on what i need to do to my planted tank?

i currently have a fluval Roma 240L tank

the lights have been upgraded to 2x 54W T5s (108watts in total) they are on for 6 hours a day at the moment as the tank is only 3 weeks old and not fully cycled, i was advised to start off at 6 hours and slowly up the amount of time they are on for. the plants i have in there are Alternanthera reinekii rosanervig, pogostemon erectus, pogostemon halferi, Alternanthera rosaefolia, Alternanthera rosaefolia mini, rotala rotundifolia, eleocharis acicularis, cryptocoryne balansae, and Micranthemum 'Monte Carlo'

ive noticed some of the red plants are starting to go a little greener than i remember, i have CO2 injected, and i have been dosing seachem flourish twice a week at 5ml

the plants seem to be growing ok, ive had abit of algea, but not excessive algea, im wondering if maybe my lights are not quite powerfull enough, and wondering if i should add another 54w T5? also should i be dosing something else, maybe start to look in to EI dosing?

any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 02:32 PM
Wannabe Guru

What I think you need is patience, especially in a new tank setup as 3 weeks is a very short time. There is often some 'melting' (out in the garden we call it transplant shock), as the plants adjust to a new environment. Plants need time to grow more roots and shoots....and it takes time to achieve balance of light, nutrients and plant mass.

You don't mention your substrate but most often, rooted plants will need root tabs.
There are those that prefer dry ferts, but Fourish Comprehensive and Flourish Trace work (along with root tabs as needed.) And this is all relative to the bio-load and the organic fertilizers in play. Although yours appears to be medium to high tech, many low tech tanks use little if any chemical ferts to sustain the plants.

I would not add lighting just yet as I don't think you have a lighting problem....and before adding a fixture, you'd likely increase the photoperiod.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

Today 7:40 pm Water Parameters on my 20 gallon:

Light intensity is about what yours is 9 hours a day
CO2 @23.5 ppm
pH 6.8
GH 150 mg/l CaCO3
KH 5 dKH
Ammonia 0 ppm
Nitrite 0 ppm
NO3 30 ppm
PO4 2.0 mg/l P

My lights are set at about what yours are. I had an algae problem when my lights were set at a higher intensity. I was blasting away with the CO2 at a bubble count in excess of what I could count. It didn't make a difference so I just turned down the lights. The algae is a lot better this week. Notice that my Nitrate and PO4 are up there but still not too much algae. Be sure to dose your macros and don't drop your guard on the Potassium.

The only thing about the light is that some of your plants might require higher light. I don't know because I didn't reference your plants. It would be good to know though. If your plants require higher light, you might be in for an algae fight. If your plants require higher light get that third 54w T5 and keep your photoperiod short.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode