Welp, I'm an idiot - The Planted Tank Forum
 9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Welp, I'm an idiot

Finally got the plumbing sorted on my 60 gallon tank last night. Everything was running well, but the sump is splashing like crazy. I need to put a door on that cabinet. It was so loud while watching TV last night I had to turn off the pump. It's OK, since I tested to make sure that there was enough capacity in the sump to handle having the pump off.

However, I must have bumped the output of the pump so the tip was under water in the main tank. This created a siphon and when the pump was off it siphoned an extra 10 gallons into the sump. 10 gallons that the sump couldn't handle.

After the silence of the tank for a couple minutes, I heard splashing again. The house was dark because we were watching TV, and I stepped into a deep puddle of water in front of the tank. Slipped and fell on my butt. A bunch of water had overflowed the sump and pooled on the craptacular laminate flooring.

I could have kicked myself...

The original splashing noise is from the water dropping into the filter socks. With the cover on my sump and a door on the cabinet that noise will be gone.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:25 PM
Banned

tragic
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:29 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Found and wiped up quick, it will depend on which laminate and how it might be sealed whether there is damage or not. I may begin to swell after some time or you may have gotten lucky.
But I tend to not trust to luck when I can avoid it so I have a water alarm near most of the places where water will hurt me much.
Twelve dollars insurance or thousand dollar floor?

Shop Basement Watchdog Plastic Alarm at Lowes.com

Yes sir! I do spill my fair share of water!!! Been in the puddle several times.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

This laminate is crap. It's all swollen up around the edges. If I owned this place I'd have replaced it already. As it stands, I may need to pay for a new floor when/if I move.

I think I may get the one that works on my Apex so it'll send me an email as well.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 04:52 PM
Wannabe Guru

This makes me think of the time I was setting up for a water change. At the time, I was jamming the gravel vac hose into a garden hose and running the garden hose out the front door to the lawn. All was going great until I realized the other end of the garden hose was still in the front hall and not outside!!! OOPS. Fortunately it was just a couple of gallons and a wet/dry vac cleaned up the carpet (who knows about the particle board subfloor - but there's no humps so I guess I dodged that one).

I've since changed things and use a small submersible pump and a 25' garden hose to pump into the kitchen sink. I use a spring clamp to keep the hose in the sink. Just last week I had just finished removing 10-15g from the tank and was collecting the garden hose. The clamp popped off the sink and all the water in the hose ran out on the kitchen (vinyl) floor!!! OOPS.

'STUFF' happens.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 06:57 PM
Planted Tank Guru

And if you really want to feel silly ? Try getting out the water sucked and cleaned up and dumped into the stool on;y to find there was a 6" fish in one of the buckets and she is now hoped you don't flush!!
Stuff like that really does happen so we just have to learn to grin and bear it!
Like I tell folks, the only people NOT making mistakes are the ones who don't DO anything!
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:37 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Twelve dollars insurance or thousand dollar floor?
I know PlantedRich was talking about the alarm, but $12 (or $15) dollar a month renter's insurance might not be a bad idea either :P
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 09:44 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by geisterwald View Post
I know PlantedRich was talking about the alarm, but $12 (or $15) dollar a month renter's insurance might not be a bad idea either :P
I have that too.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:06 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
My most recent disaster (oh boy was it a disaster) involved the python. Both my hoses end in quick disconnects, and I use an assortment of gravel vacs and/or appropriated ahem filter intakes depending on what I need to do and which tank is involved. I...didn't get the quick disconnect seated well and it popped out *after* the siphon was started. Dumped something like 20 gallons in the carpet. We had to move bits of furniture around and make sure everything that could get sucked up in the carpet scrubber was picked up, by which time a lot had soaked in.
DurocShark and DurocShark like this.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-10-2016, 11:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I would prefer carpet. I can suck up water and the carpet would be none the worse for wear. This is the ground floor of a townhome. Concrete slab floor. Easy. This laminate crap though... Ugh.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 02:24 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DurocShark View Post
I would prefer carpet. I can suck up water and the carpet would be none the worse for wear. This is the ground floor of a townhome. Concrete slab floor. Easy. This laminate crap though... Ugh.
This may seem true but it often is missing what is happening under the carpeting where you don't see it. I had carpeting in the fish room and flooded it several times before it really became a problem. There is no really certain way to dry the carpeting without removing it. That is almost certain to lead to mold. What type of mold and what level depends much on luck. I had never been bothered by mold, so was not too concerned about it. I lived around it all my life and laughed at the idea.
Until I had a real problem, that moved me to take out the carpeting!
I did the quick and cheap thing and put down cheap laminate to replace the moldy carpeting. Since the floor sub is slab concrete, tile would have been better but I wanted it quick and the tile would have had to be a pro job. That means both slow and expensive! When done DIY, the laminate for a small room is about $200 so I now look at it as just another expense that may have to be dealt with if I flood it too often or too bad.
My point is that it made more sense for me to go with the change to laminate that may cost me again at some point as it avoids the REALLY expensive mold problems and doctors. Even with insurance, I can't deal with more than a few trips to the doctor for $200.
For fish rooms? I might choose simple concrete and a nice paint job but then that is not "classy" enough for others in my family. It looks "cold"!
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-11-2016, 04:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

+1 - for a basement w/concrete floor, epoxy paint seems like a really good option...on the downside, it smells until dry and if it's already a fishroom, it might be a problem.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 02:55 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to TINNGG Send a message via Yahoo to TINNGG
I figure I'll eventually pull up the carpet and replace with laminate under the 75. It's going to be a big job though as it's an old Oceanic and a bear to move. I'd like, while we're at it, to reinforce the floor under it. It holds - the tank has occupied that spot for over 20 years - but after a soak or two... We went over the area for some time sucking water out (had to stop and clean a hairball or two out of the scrubber), put towels down to get even more up, and ran a fan over it.

My mind is aglow with trancient nodes of thought, careening through a cosmic vapor of invention - Hedley Lamar
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DurocShark View Post
However, I must have bumped the output of the pump so the tip was under water in the main tank. This created a siphon and when the pump was off it siphoned an extra 10 gallons into the sump. 10 gallons that the sump couldn't handle.
All good advice in this thread: concrete floor, renter's insurance, h20 alarm, etc. But an ounce of prevention goes a long way! Figure out how to fab up a siphon break into your system. That way you can keep the output from the pump under the surface of the water in the display tank (which should also help the noise issue) and you shouldn't have to worry about that problem again!
zerodameaon and zerodameaon like this.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-14-2016, 12:04 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Siphon breaks are so useful and an easy setup. I need to drill a second one on my output as it is not quite as effective as I want.

Here fishy fishy.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode