Advice for planted tank newbie - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Advice for planted tank newbie

Ok ive been a member for 3 years but never posted anything, so here goes..

I have a tank which ive had for 5 years now, and over that time ive tried various things with it, but its just never looked or felt right..

Currently it is sat empty and has been for 12 months, so its about time i got to it...

I want to create a planted tank (kinda obvious bearing in mind this is the planted tank forum. lol). However i dont want it too sparse that it looks unfinished, but i also dont want it too thick that you can't see all the fish (my 3yr old girl wants to be able to count them or so she says).

So im looking for some middle ground but i havnt a clue about how many plants i would need, or indeed which plants would be best for a 'beginner'.

The tank is a 215 lt - dimensions : 99w x 47d x 60h (cm) and currently has 2 x 100w and 1 x 75w tubes in it. the filter is a wet and dry trickle filter (if that makes a difference)

Any advice would be useful.

Thanks for taking the time out to read by post...

Cheers..Andy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 12:47 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Congrats on unlurking yourself!

What kind of lighting fixture do you have?

Are you going to be running CO2 on this tank at all, or do you want to stick with a low light/low tech setup?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 01:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The only co2 would be DIY and the lighting is housed in the hood. It would be a low tech setup for the time being.

Thanks for the reply by the way, lol.

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 04:31 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by norclaj View Post
and currently has 2 x 100w and 1 x 75w tubes in it.
Cheers..Andy
That's referring to heaters not lighting, correct?

IDK what lighting comes standard in European tanks, is it T8 light it usually is here in the states?

I ask b/c your light level pretty much determines what types of plants your tank can support.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode