Biting off more than I can chew? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Biting off more than I can chew?

I am in the process of getting an 80 gallon tank. This will be my first (but probably not last) planted tank. Its just the tank and stand, I plan to take my time because financially, I have a feeling that this hobby will take a good chunk out of my pocket book. I know that I need to get a light system, so I was wondering if anyone can refer me one for an 80 gallon tank that is on the less expensive side? I can get substrate at a local Big Al's, so thats less of a worry... As for the CO2 system, I was wondering if I should go all out and buy the expensive one, or if a DIY one will suffice? Also, please let me know if I'm crazy as a beginner to start off with such a big tank lol.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
You haven't bitten off that big of a chunk. If you would like an easy and cheap tank, why not go low tech, with sand as you substrate, and some shop lights for lighting? DIY CO2 is for smaller tanks because it doesn't generat enough for the bigger ones.
Welcome to TPT by the way!

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3

Last edited by RipariumGuy; 05-05-2010 at 05:03 PM. Reason: spelling
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 04:36 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Bigger tanks aren't necessarily harder to maintain, and the running costs don't scale up proportionally. In other words, an 80gal tank will NOT be 8x as expensive as a 10gal tank. But it will be much more impressive!

+++ on going slow! Take your time to research, read many opinions and pick out what you think is right for you.

There are very affordable light strips out there, from a $20 shop light, to a more suitable T5 fixture like this, to more expensive options that will beautifully light up your tank and empty out your wallet at the same time.

You can do DIY CO2 on a tank like this, but it should be covered well, have no surface agitation, and it's a bit work to maintain three or so 3L bottles. I've done it for a while, it's fun for a while, you know, while saving up for a pressurized system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 06:13 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
may i suggest CFL for lights, super cheap and bright, very easy to DIY for the fixture.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (5/100%)
Send a message via AIM to VadimShevchuk Send a message via Skype™ to VadimShevchuk
go pressurized co2. i did diy co2 for 6 months and its a pain and i got algae from it. Brush algae i think.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
What is your overall aquarium experience level?

An 80gallon tank is not that big. It's big enough that you want a python or equivalent, and once you've put the hose in the water, it's about the same amount of work as a 29, so no big deal. However, if the 80 is a tall tank, that comes with some challenges. You'll have high light on the top and low light on the bottom. This can be challenging for a new person.

My 65 was my first tank, and I wouldn't say it was too big. I did, however, soon afterward, wish I had used mineralized top soil. There's no way I'm going to change it now because everything is established.

There is a lot to be said for starting off with a 15, a 20long, or a 40breeder.

Patience is a major key in this hobby. You can put the 80 on ice until you get your feet wet, then set up the 80, and do something different with the first tank.

65 gallon journal:

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Aquarium experience level: not a newb, but not far from it. I've had a few aquariums in the past.

The thing that worries me most is the CO2, if I'm not mistaken its pretty expensive. I'm thinking one week I may buy the substrate and plants, and then two weeks later I would buy the CO2 system, would that work? I also want to make sure my tank is cycled prior to getting fish, so I'm trying to completely avoid even thinking about which kind of fish I want although its hard. I suppose I should kind of think about it because the tank set up may be affected by the type of fish I plan to keep.

This will be my first planted tank, so I really want to get things right. I'm excited but I don't want to jump into it and then screw everything up. I've managed terrariums for all of my reptiles for the past three years, and I recently set up a beautiful vivarium for my chameleon, but this will be my first attempt at aquatic plant keeping.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 10:58 PM
FSM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
What are the dimensions of the tank?

post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 11:32 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
If you get a powerful light fixture you'll want to get the pressurized CO2 setup before getting the lights.

A good pressurized CO2 setup will probably run $200-300.

Or you could set up a "low tech" tank and stick with lower light levels that make CO2 injection not necessary. That's how I have my own 90gal set up.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 02:05 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
Patience is the best investment. Then common sense.
I maintain that a large tank is easier to deal with than a small one as there is far more latitude for error. Also - in my opinion - an 80 gallon tank is large enough to allow bringing home a half dozen small Zebra Danios or Neon Tetras any time you are ready. Live bearers might get out of control. ;-)

Start with a T8 two tube shop light with daylight bulbs. Your local big box home improvement store will have them in stock at a good price.

Three 2L or 3L DIY bottles of DIY yeast for CO2 and start on a replace one each week schedule.

Next, shop around the local Craig's list or aquarium club for plants and fish. Your goal is to raise plants so start out raising plants. Don't purchase large quantities of anything until you are sure it's what you want. Grow out smaller plants or smaller numbers of plants and get a feel for what grows well in your tank.

Enjoy, don't fret on "rules" that may not apply to your tank.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 02:39 AM
Banned

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenTetra View Post
Aquarium experience level: not a newb, but not far from it. I've had a few aquariums in the past.

The thing that worries me most is the CO2, if I'm not mistaken its pretty expensive. I'm thinking one week I may buy the substrate and plants, and then two weeks later I would buy the CO2 system, would that work? I also want to make sure my tank is cycled prior to getting fish, so I'm trying to completely avoid even thinking about which kind of fish I want although its hard. I suppose I should kind of think about it because the tank set up may be affected by the type of fish I plan to keep.

This will be my first planted tank, so I really want to get things right. I'm excited but I don't want to jump into it and then screw everything up. I've managed terrariums for all of my reptiles for the past three years, and I recently set up a beautiful vivarium for my chameleon, but this will be my first attempt at aquatic plant keeping.
What's your budget, if you don't mind me asking? There are shortcuts, and you can do CO2 for $150. The cadillac way to do it is probably in the 3 to 4 hundred dollar range. The up front is huge, the upkeep is minimal. CO2 is cheap.

I'm a noob at this, compared to a lot of the folks around here. But an 80 really is a big step, IMO. Right now, you don't know how you want to do CO2, much less diffuse it. That's the hard part, IMO, and it's a complication that doesn't apply to a small tank.

65 gallon journal:

post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-06-2010, 06:48 PM
Algae Grower

I don't think your biting of more then you can chew but you will be spending money if your already thinking of going high tech with CO2 diffusion and all. Trust me I started with a free 29 gallon tank and end up setting up a full 75 gallon planted with Co2, T5 lights, ADA substrate and all the works. I'll be posting a tank journal this weekend.

For lights the HO t5 hoods are nice. You can get a 2 bulb setup from CoralLife or Aqutic Life for around $100. Both should be available at Big Als since you said that was local. I personally like and went with Catalina Aquariums. They are having specials on the T5s and you can get a 48" 4 bulb hood for $180 with moonlights or $209 if you opt for black. If you call them they will customize if for you with additional switches and power cords so you can do different timers. I have three of my bulbs on timers and one manual for when I want to work on the tank during dark hours.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-07-2010, 02:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I've decided to go low tech, it will fit my budget a bit better and I've seen some amazing pictures of low tech tanks that completely fit the bill of what I want mine to look like. I'm waiting on the dimensions for the tank I'm getting this weekend, its apparently an 80 gallon, but unless its an 80 gallon high tank than I have my suspicions that its either a 75 or a 90, either way, it doesn't really matter, although if it is an 80 gallon high tank I'm assuming I may need stronger lights to reach the bottom?

I have a few more questions, but I'm going to post them in the low tech section where they should probably go. I've learned quite a bit just from this though, so thanks guys!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode