Returning To The Hobby - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 2 Post By HeavyGun1450

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:32 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Returning To The Hobby

Hello people of planted tank forum,
Im probally going to be getting back into the aqairum hobby after a few years of being gone from it. I have a old 20 gallon tank lying around made by aqueon, I used this tank previously but it was not very successful due to noob mistakes but now im more educated on it. I plan on reviving the tank and making it into a small saltwater tank, first off I plan on buying a new filter, first off can someone recommend me a canister filter that is very quiet and powerful (like 150 GPM) so my water can be crystal clear. Second, can anyone recommend me a 100W water heater to heat the tank? The orginal equipment that came with the tank was a Aqueon HOB filter and a 50W heater that are old and very dirty so im getting new equipment. Third what do you recommend for saltwater fish, its a 20 gallon so I know you cant put very many fish in that, I would probably like a Pleco and some cool looking mid dwelling fish and that sort of stuff.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 12:55 AM
Algae Grower

I'd probably recommend going with the ahem classic 2213. Great filter works quietly and is super reliable. Im sure you have heard, the smaller the body of water, the harder it is to keep your parameters in check, so if you're going to do a 20G saltwater, you're gonna have to commit to 25% weekly water changes without skimping out at all, other wise your fish will show you the drastic effects. I'd also probably recommend doing fish with live rock only as opposed to a reef tank, as you're going to have to dose and watch multiple levels more carefully. In terms of stocking in a 20 gallon, I think that a good cleanup crew + a pair of captive bred clowns will do you good. Definitely none of the tang species (Dory and such). Plecos are a freshwater fish by the way.

Last edited by austinnhuynh; 09-05-2016 at 12:56 AM. Reason: quick re-read
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:01 AM
Banned

PTrader: (4/100%)
Umm, you know this is a freshwater planted tank forum right. You might get better info on a saltwater site.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnhuynh View Post
I'd probably recommend going with the ahem classic 2213. Great filter works quietly and is super reliable. Im sure you have heard, the smaller the body of water, the harder it is to keep your parameters in check, so if you're going to do a 20G saltwater, you're gonna have to commit to 25% weekly water changes without skimping out at all, other wise your fish will show you the drastic effects. I'd also probably recommend doing fish with live rock only as opposed to a reef tank, as you're going to have to dose and watch multiple levels more carefully. In terms of stocking in a 20 gallon, I think that a good cleanup crew + a pair of captive bred clowns will do you good. Definitely none of the tang species (Dory and such). Plecos are a freshwater fish by the way.
OK Thanks, What wattage do you recommend for a water heater? I was thinking anywhere between 50-100W that sound about right? Also In the past I had a 5 Gallon tank and it was very successful. What type of live rock do you recommend?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:11 AM
Algae Grower

20 Gallons? 150W to be on the safe side. It should only be a couple bucks more than a 100W. Reason being is it won't have to be on as often as a 100W would be, therefore giving you more life out of it. If you have kept a 5 Gal previously I'm sure a 20 will be ok for u. I recommend dry rock for sure, if you can get fiji rock where you are. Patience is always a huge help with saltwater, if you use dry rock you don't run the risk of introducing any unwanted pests or parasites into your tank. But to be honest a full cycle will take close to 2 months with dry rock.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 01:39 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyGun1450 View Post
... I plan on reviving the tank and making it into a small saltwater tank, ... I would probably like a Pleco and some cool looking mid dwelling fish and that sort of stuff.
This form is primarily for planted tanks, and are almost always fresh water systems. Every one here will try to help, but it's often not their area of expertise. You might be better off posting your questions on a SW forum. There are a lot out there.

Reef Central is the largest, but has the reputation for sometimes beating up on people new to the hobby. You can see them here - Reef Central Online Community

I tend to post on Reef Sanctyary which is a lot more beginner oriented you can see them here - Home | Reef Sanctuary

While there is a lot of good information on the net, going through it is quite a task if your new to SW systems. I recommend that you get yourself a couple of books and read and study them. Here are two to start with -

The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Robert Fenner
The New Marine Aquarium by Michael Paleta <---This book has an especially good section on fish suited to someone starting off in the hobby.

A note on the books. You can often find used copies at much lower prices at places like Amazon. In most cases these are going to be as good as new copies, especially when your first learning.

This is information that you can not easily obtain from the net. While it's out there, it's all over the place, and there is a massive volume of information. There is also a lot of bad information out there.

Before you purchase anything, consider first what you plan to keep in the tank. That can drive the equipment selection.

You are going to find that while the goals are similar, SW systems do things very differently from what is done in a FW system.

As a note, Plecos are a FW fish, and can not survive in a SW system.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by austinnhuynh View Post
20 Gallons? 150W to be on the safe side. It should only be a couple bucks more than a 100W. Reason being is it won't have to be on as often as a 100W would be, therefore giving you more life out of it. If you have kept a 5 Gal previously I'm sure a 20 will be ok for u. I recommend dry rock for sure, if you can get fiji rock where you are. Patience is always a huge help with saltwater, if you use dry rock you don't run the risk of introducing any unwanted pests or parasites into your tank. But to be honest a full cycle will take close to 2 months with dry rock.
Heaters are something you don't want to oversize. I would consider a 150w heater on a 20 gal tank to be a mistake. It's really far too large. This causes it to be somewhat less effective. A larger heater also makes it a lot easier to cook you fish if it fails in the on position. It's kind of like installing a super large furnace on your house. It will go on and off a lot more, costing you more long term.

I would recommend about a 50w heater for a 20 gal tank. in other words, about 2 to 3 watts per gallon. If you keep the tank in a place like an unheated basement then maybe a 100w heater.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-05-2016, 02:12 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I recommend Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community - Powered by vBulletin they have a salt section and no wize guys if you know what I mean ...lol

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode