Is a GFCI needed when having an aquarium? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is a GFCI needed when having an aquarium?

I will most likely get a surge protector to protect my equipment if the power goes out, as it does a couple times a year.

I am just wondering if it is absolutely necessary?
Is it used in case when I am doing a water change and water splashes on the outlet, it makes it safe?

If water does go to the outlet, what are the worst cases that could cause? Is it that I just can't touch the outlet? Can someone explain it all to me? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:19 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (12/100%)
A GCFI or GFI as many call them, is not necessary for a fish tank. Honestly, you shouldn't be getting the outlet wet. But it doesn't hurt. A GFCI is a wall receptacle though. It is not the same as a surge protector. If water splashes into the outlet, nothing will happen. The current won't have a path to travel from a couple drops.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:24 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
It's absolutely necessary if the outlet is outside (pond) but not inside. Just keep the surge protector off the ground incase there is spillage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 05:31 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistergreen View Post
It's absolutely necessary if the outlet is outside (pond) but not inside. Just keep the surge protector off the ground incase there is spillage.
Thanks, how would I keep it off the ground by the way? The tank is in my bedroom on a 29 gallon aquatic fundamentals upright stand. Would I put it on the dresser next the to the tank that is taller than the tank itself?
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:16 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (10/100%)
It doesn't have to be above the tank, it's just better if it's off the ground. People often mount them to the inside wall of their stand, or similar.

Feeling adventurous? Maybe check out my current
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Acula View Post
It doesn't have to be above the tank, it's just better if it's off the ground. People often mount them to the inside wall of their stand, or similar.
Thanks, how would I mount them exactly, and I thought it wasn't safe to put in the stand.
post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua3 View Post
Thanks, how would I mount them exactly, and I thought it wasn't safe to put in the stand.
If the wood is thick enough you can use screws to attach it to the cabinet. If not glue a piece of 2 x 3 to the inside and then attach the strip to the 2x.\

I'd use GFCI on any aquarium just for the piece of mind.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 09:03 PM
Children Boogie

Quote:
On the back of your surge protector, there are 2 holes. That's for mounting on screw heads. Screw the screws into your stand then mound the surge protector onto the screw.

post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-02-2016, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
A surge protector protects your equipment. A GFCI protects you. My first priority isn't my equipment, it is me, so I try to always use a surge protector for my aquarium set-up.
PlantedRich and PlantedRich like this.

Hoppy
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 09:49 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Heavy Duty Velcro is easy to use and is fast. No messing around with screws or wood. Just make sure the surfaces are clean and reasonably flat. If it's rough wood you may need to sand it first.
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 12:56 PM
Wannabe Guru

Probably one of the most overlooked things in the hobby. As everyone knows, water and electricity is a lethal combination. Consider the heater(s), light(s), powerhead(s) and/or submersible pumps used in the aquarium. A good safety feature is to have these things plugged into a GFI circuit to ensure if there is ever a short, YOU are protected. You can replace an outlet with a GFI outlet OR even easier is a plug-in to convert a regular outlet into a GFI outlet - WELL worth the $20~ bill.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Probably one of the most overlooked things in the hobby. As everyone knows, water and electricity is a lethal combination. Consider the heater(s), light(s), powerhead(s) and/or submersible pumps used in the aquarium. A good safety feature is to have these things plugged into a GFI circuit to ensure if there is ever a short, YOU are protected. You can replace an outlet with a GFI outlet OR even easier is a plug-in to convert a regular outlet into a GFI outlet - WELL worth the $20~ bill.
Where do i buy one for $20 and what brand/model to get?

Also if use that, would i then plug in a surge protector and then plug the electronics into that? quick response is appreciated
post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
You can plug the surge into the GFCI. They do two different things. The GFCI shuts off the circuit if it senses electricity "leaking" which will protect you from a shock. The surge protector helps to keep equipment from being fried if say lightning strikes the utility pole near your house.

And before you perfectionists jump on me, I know my explanation was oversimplified.
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 01:48 PM
Children Boogie

Sure a GFI is ~$20 but don't attempt to instal an outlet if you have no experience and installing a GFI is a little tricky.

They do make a GFI adaptor you just plug into your normal outlet

Defiant Plug-In GFCI Adapter (3-Wire Grounding)-30339036 - The Home Depot

Yes, you plug all of your electronics into the surge, and the surge into the GFI.

post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 09-03-2016, 02:03 PM
Wannabe Guru

One additional comment about GFCI.

GFCI can sometimes trip for no obvious reason, and even if all your equipment is good. Some items, electronic MH ballasts come to mind, can trip a GFCI even if they are good.

Since you loose power if the GFCI trips, and you must reset it, it can be a disaster if your away for a few days and it trips then. A couple of times I had my GFCI trip when I was away, and lost almost everything in the tank. It was a SW reef tank too, and those are almost as expensive as a FW planted tank (grin).

I would say that if your going to be away for an extended period, plug the critical equipment, such as the filtration system, into a Non-GFI outlet.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode