What to do with tank? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
What to do with tank?

Hi

I set up my first tank, around 2 years ago with not knowing to much about the hobby (and aquascaping lol).

I knew i wanted to get tetras and have live plants, although i really do not like my current setup and really want to change it.

Attached are 3 images of my current setup (the tanks not full because i was in the middle of a water change)

The substrate is just plain gravel with a few fertilizer tabs (which are probably used up by now anyway) i got pushed in, to be honest im surprised anythings managed to live this long in my substrate lol.

The only plant that has done well is my anubis. but the piece of bogwood i have in there is far to big only just fitting in by about 1MM

I want to completely redo this setup, mainly new substrate and a new look.

Current setup

Equipment

Lights: 2 T8 18w's
Heater: Stock heater came with the tank, seems to be doing fine
Substrate: plain gravel
Filtration: Fluval 205

Stock

10 X Neon tertra
10 X black neon
1 X glowlight tetra (adopted from a friend)
3 X peppered cory
1 X Bristle nose plec

I would like to keep the lighting, filter and heating the same.

I just dont know what to do with the substrate and planting.

Anyone have any ideas?

Just been thinking about it a bit and i think i might do it up like my nano tank, sand substrate, some redmoor bogwood, with just moss nice and plain, mayvbe with a few rocks thrown in, hmmm.

Sorry if this is quite vague and not very well put together.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (7/100%)
What size is your tank?
It sounds like your set up for low light plants since your Anubias sp. did well. What other plants did you try?

(Pictures not attached?)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

:
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
I did an all white sand tank with all red plants in it that turned out cool. So cool a friend bought it from me. Wish ida kept it.

My 65g jungle October rain

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Sorry forgot to attach the photos. also phone camera so sorry if bad quality.

Anyway i was going to go out in a bit and look for some sticks i can use in my aquarium.

My tank volume is 110L

size is : 32" X 14" x 18"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	022.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	20344  

Name:	023.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	20345  

Name:	024.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	126.6 KB
ID:	20346  

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 04:48 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Looks to me like all youre missing is some variety. How bout adding some more bunch plants to it?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:39 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I mainly dont want to add anymore plants because my substrate is awful so they will most probably die.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 05:46 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Whats wrong w/it? It looks fine to me. If youre saying it doesnt grow plants very well then dont vacuum it and maybe add a few varieties of snails to help with the poop/fertilizer situation. Or get some root tabs. And I see you use foil as a background. You could try spraypainting a piece of cardboard black to see if this gives the tank a better feel.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
I don't have a fancy rich substrate, just really old. How about investing in liquid or dry fertilizers for the water? Use Excel for a carbon source, fertilize, plant the stem plants in groupings rather than scattered and add more groups of stem plants. With a plain backdrop your nice wood and Anubias will shine. A flower? Mine never flowers!
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks guys, ill try changing the background i think that might make quite a difference and ill leave the vaccuming. Yer my anubis flowers all the time, you can see 3 are up in the picture and the starting of a new one just at the bottom of the biggest one in the 1st and 2nd photos.

Ill just have to get my hands on some cardboard, but wont that go soggy when wet? as i tend to spill water because i have to move my whole chest which is huge and heavy and can only be done by sliding. Ill just have to take out some water when moving it.

Thanks guys

What stem plants would you reccomend?

The plants on the right in picture one and at the front in picture 2 really arnt doing well just struggling on to life. so i shall probably be removing them.

Also forgot to say i dose EasyCarbo daily, 2ml's.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (35/100%)
If EasyCarbo is the same stuff as Excel then you have carbon covered just fine! Plants also need goodly amounts of nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus as well as small amounts of iron and other elements. The usual aquarium plant food is iron and the other micros, it being generally thought that fish poop provides the other nutrients. To find out more about the macro nutrients, nitrogen, potassium and phosphorus look down this forum to the 'specific aspects of a planted tank' subforums. The one on fertilizers and water parameters has a sticky thread at the top on this topic.

Don't give up on your sickly plants so fast. I pruned dead roots and leaves from my Anubias rhizomes after much neglect. With warmth, CO2, light and the right amount of fertilizers most of the bits are growing new leaves and roots. If I am lucky the smallest bit of stem with a couple nodes can regrow into a big vigorous plant. Plants growing in water don't need a healthy substructure the way a tomato plant might.

I had a black plastic trash bag as a backdrop for years. The shiny folds I couldn't pull out finally annoyed me enough to take it off when I started being nice to my tank again and the glass underneath was just a bit dusty. If you could find a big enough plastic bag it is very durable and water resistant. Cloth might be less annoying than cardboard as well. Once you find a color backdrop you like the best solution is paint. I haven't ever done it though. Much easier with an empty tank of course. Much easier outside with spray paint.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-05-2010, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Ok thanks ill have a look at the fertilizer page.

yer ill have a look for something to use to cover it up im sure ill find something.

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode