bird planted tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Lightbulb bird planted tank

so if anybody remembers i recently posted about keeping a bird in a fully planted vivarium, well i have decided not to get a bird for this situation. after alot of controversy about it, i have decided not only would it be bad for the respiratory system of the bird, my main concern was can i inch long bird swim? anyways i am still contemplating what critter, preferably not and invertebrate i could get for this vivarium, possibly a small mammal, any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:36 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
Unless you have a HUGE vivarium, a bird is a "no-no." Why not try some herps?

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (188/100%)
Most small mammals will probably eat your fish.

Fluval Spec III Shelf!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwill View Post
"C'mon, they're just plants, man, no big deal -- try some"

post #4 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)
I forget how big your tank was, but do you think you'd have enough land/water ratio to have maybe a chinese water dragon or something similar? That would be cool. Big ol' lizard swimmin around in the planted tank tearin up your plants

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20L build in progress

my 75 (the old tank)
post #5 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:09 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
I have always thought this would be a good idea. Some type of rainforest lizard that can swim, like a gecko or something. But like others said fish would be food. As long as your ok with that you could always breed your own stock to feed to him. Something that breeds easy and fast, like guppy's or some other livebearer. Just net some and put them in the tank kind of like you would with crickets. If your lucky and he is not a pig you might be able to just house the fish in the tank at all times hoping there are enough survivors to reproduce.
post #6 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 09:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
I would like to attempt something similar to this with a 40B. Not with birds--but with some sort of amphibian--everything Ive read has led me to believe that it wont work though. I would LOVE to have a riparium on one end with a land feature on the other end. If anyone has any ideas for critters that wont destroy plants or poison/eat all of my fish for dinner I would love to hear it.
post #7 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 04:56 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

agreed all the options are fish eaters, and a bird is not happening as i have already stated, its a 125 gal aquarium with a 14 square foot hood, 2'h x 6' L x 2' w, as in 2 foot above the aqarium i have wondered about sugar gliders, as geckos can't swim and have had them drown in less then 3 inches of water, a water dragon would be cool, but deadly to everything, a lot of wasted room, i would prefer to have kinda a mini ecosystem, i have a lot of experience with vivarium/pauldilariums, i just can't figure out something healthy and happy that would be comfortable with water like that, a snake would be cool, but he would eat my fish.
post #8 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 11:11 AM
Algae Grower

Maybe frogs??? I don't think a snake would eat many fish... so long as you kept it well fed. Just make sure its one that likes water because most snakes are also susceptible to respiratory problems, mites, fungus etc.
post #9 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:00 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bzishka View Post
... as geckos can't swim and have had them drown in less then 3 inches of water...
What kind of setup did you have that caused the Geckos to drown?
post #10 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 12:30 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
Ive kept tree frogs in this type of setup. It works quite well for the best of both worlds. Youll have to research your frogs as some will poison the water. I was also debating a jacksons chamelion before I made it into a reef.

My 65g jungle October rain
post #11 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:46 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Some of the smaller chameleons might work.

Frogs would probably be the best.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #12 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 01:51 PM
F22
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I would def go for frogs, spend some money and get red eye tree frogs. I have also seen morning geckos setup like this, as they live in the terrestrial plants.
post #13 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:10 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (7/100%)
Turtles? Just an idea.

Rick
post #14 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

Chameleons would be an absolute awesome herp in there.....

1-They dont eat fish
2- They LOVE humidity! any form
3- They LOVE plants

If it were I, I would do this....but be fore-warned, they are not easy creatures to keep....

Is it that boring?

post #15 of 59 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 06:25 PM
Banned

PTrader: (73/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post

I hope everyone's referring to Anoles, which aren't actually Chameleons, but are sometimes referred to as Chameleons since they have the ability to change color. True Chameleons are way to big for that enclosure since they can grow to almost a foot and live in branches. They really need a tall vertical habitat.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode