Moving Advice - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Question Moving Advice

Our landlord is selling our house and so we are moving in town.

Does anyone have advice for me on the best way to move my 55 gal. tank, the plants and the fish???

Steph, 55 gal in prog
Semper-Gumby (always flexible)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:04 PM
Algae Grower

If you can setup a tank or bins at the new place a day or two before you break down the tank, then move the fish over. Then you can take your time resetting the tank.
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i nave done thai a few times and the best method i have found is to use 2-3 5 gallon pails with lids place tank water in them and then your fish. if you have larger fish or moving a fair distance you could use a battery powered air pump to help arate the water.

then place any plants in the extra buckets of water.

once that is done remove the rest of the water down tothe top of the substrate. pull any large rocks as you dont want these to shift and bust the tank.

as for your filter matreial u have I stuffed mine in zip lock bags full of tank water to preserve them.

once your also set go ahead and move. once your at your new location reverse the process making sure to kep the water temps as close as possible.

if you move to a new loation with differnt water peramiters you may whish to save additional aged water to reduce the stress on the fish as they ajust to new water peramiters.

GEOLOGY Rocks Have A Gneiss Day

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:23 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
moving that tank is the hardest part. Get plenty of help for that.

post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
i literally logged on to ask the same question as i have to move an hour away... but I think what I am going to do it what metageologist described. I am extremely worried about the bottom springing a leak. What I may do is make a "stretcher" for my tank or something that can support the entire bottom that has rollers.. I have a 40 gallon and with substrate and a little bit of water, probably looking at a good 50 lbs of dead weight...(yuck).. But a really good lfs that moves tanks alot gave me this idea.. if anyone can add anything else.. lemme know
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
i would not attempt to move that tank with anything in it but air! that is just asking for a split seam or worse...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I think I will follow metageologist and I am planning on buying a LARGE rubbermaid/trashcan to move the H20, but how do I make sure it is free and clear of all "stuff" that might hurt my fish?

Steph, 55 gal in prog

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephm View Post
I think I will follow metageologist and I am planning on buying a LARGE rubbermaid/trashcan to move the H20, but how do I make sure it is free and clear of all "stuff" that might hurt my fish?
Here is my advice. This is based on experience of 1 data point. So I may be lucky or good, no telling which.

Get your container. I chose this big blue 10 gallon bucket with rope handles because my friend had it laying under his deck. YMMV. Take a hose and some soap and clean it up. I then filled it with water and then let it sit. (turn your eyes if you have a weak stomach) After it sat for a little while, I took a little sip of it to make sure it didn't taste funny.

As some others have said, I strongly recommend removing the gravel for the move. That's a lot of weight to be sloshing around in there.

65 gallon journal:

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:14 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

definately take everything out of the aquarium before moving it. to keep biofiltration, and most all of the "good stuff" thats happening within your aquarium to continue, get as much tank water as possible. lid everything. heater in the fish bucket if you can afford an ac adapter for you car (get a long corded one. you can find these at audio installation places) and try and get a heater for your plant bucket as well. niether of these are needed if you are only moving thirty minutes or less away as the temp will only shift .5 to 1 full degree. make sure you have lots have help setting the tank up as the sooner the fish and plants get back into their "real home" the sooner the stress relief will happen. some uprooted plants suffer from stress as well. make sure to nurse them back to health. a little tlc, and the move will be no problem.

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 10:31 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
I moved my tank from Washington State to Kentucky. Did not loose any fish either. I put tank water into a ice chest with the fish. I put my canister filter hoses down into the water and plugged it into a ac/dc converter in my SUV along with the heater. I put all my plants into a bucket with tank water. I put all the substrate into another bucket with only enough water to keep it moist.
The good part of this is when you put your substrate back into your tank, it will get a good cleaning by getting all mixed up and rid of a lot of junk that has built up in it.
When I replanted, my plants exploded with growth for quit a while.
Put the fish in the tank with 1/2 of original water and fill it up from the tap. The next day, do another 50% water change due to the fish being stressed and dirtying the water.
Everything went well.
I agree, empty the tank completely.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Cool

That's what I will do THANK YOU everyone!!!

Steph, 55 gal in prog

post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:20 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
I've moved my 46gal a few times on a thick piece of MDF with a person on each end. Went in the backseat of my car with a person next to it to make sure it didn't shift around. I siphoned out all the water but left the gravel (wasn't planted at the time). Worked well.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraleellbp View Post
I've moved my 46gal a few times on a thick piece of MDF with a person on each end. Went in the backseat of my car with a person next to it to make sure it didn't shift around. I siphoned out all the water but left the gravel (wasn't planted at the time). Worked well.
I think there is a big difference between a 36" tank versus a 48" tank when it comes to removing the substrate. It would also depend a lot on the shape of the back seat. If you have something that is, or resembles, a bench, riding around is fine no matter what the length. It's getting it into the car, in my experience, where the substrate and its weight are the issue.

65 gallon journal:

post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Banned

PTrader: (105/94%)
Thank god I only have a 20 gallon tall to move.

And you guys might think I am insane, but I only plan on taking out the manzanita trees and leaving 1/2 of my tank water it in for my move to Roseville. I know, I am nuts.

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-04-2010, 10:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

i moved a 55 just a few weeks ago. I took almost all the water out and just left the plants. the fish went into a 5 gallon bucket. reset every thing back up the same day. make sure you have at least 2 people to move the 55

SunSun Pimp #7

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode