Planted Tank Guide - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:08 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
Planted Tank Guide

So has anyone read it yet??

I am not the author, but thought it was very well done and is very balanced and informative, especially for the beginner.

Curious what everyones feedback is.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/PlantedTankGuide.html

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:20 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
That looks great! I have a question when it comes to pricing though. Is it really $20 for a registered membership? And why is the "powerseller" cheaper?
Regards,
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (96/100%)
I believe the price has been scaled for certain memberships of the site. If you are already a supporting member and paid for membership, then the price of the book is decreased as an incentive.

Kyle should probably weigh in here more on the pricing issue.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:25 AM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
I believe the price has been scaled for certain memberships of the site. If you are already a supporting member and paid for membership, then the price of the book is decreased as an incentive.

Kyle should probably weigh in here more on the pricing issue.
Ahhh...That makes sense. Thanks for clarifying!
Jake

"My next hobby is going to be tearing up $100 bills while simultaneously banging my head against a wall and flooding my basement."
"Ask not what the hobby can do for you, but what you can do the the hobby" - ScapeFu

Wabi-Kusa Pimp #3
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 04:36 AM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Was this the one that was written by Greg Watson a few years back?

Anthony

and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 06:17 AM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
Quite a while ago KyleT, the owner of this website, asked a few of us if we were interested to write a brief "Getting Started Guide" which we could offer to (new) users of the forum, both as a starting point, and perhaps to answer some of the inevitable questions that most new planted tankers will ask.

I took Kyle up on that offer and started to work on some Q's and A's. Soon it became evident that trying to cover the very basics of Planted Tanks was not something that could be crammed into two or three pages.

So a few months later Kyle suggested to develop a more detailed Planted Tank Guide, and this is the result. It is mainly meant for the Planted Tank novice, a tool to quickly learn the concepts and requirements to successfully grow aquatic plants.

I hope that the guide will be helpful for those starting out in this wonderful hobby, answer many questions, and reduce some of the confusion that can result from reading a gazillion posts with different opinions. In the end, each tank is unique and different, and many ways lead to success.

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:42 AM
Wannabe Guru

Send a message via MSN to funkyfish
Looks great! I probably will purchase it a little later on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
I don't think it the same. The only book I know from Greg Watson is "Greg Watson's Guide to Dosing Strategies"

"There is a fine line between Hobby and Mental illness."
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeJ View Post
That looks great! I have a question when it comes to pricing though. Is it really $20 for a registered membership? And why is the "powerseller" cheaper?
Regards,
Jake
The prices are scaled back for those members that already support the site. This is a high quality book easily worth $20, but supporting members have already put forward quite a lot of money to support the site so it is only fair they get a discount on the guide.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkblade48 View Post
This is a totally separate book. Greg's book was fantastic and generally donated to us by Greg, this guide is more of a totally encompassing guide touching on all aspects of the hobby, rather than one specialty.

I hope those that purchased it have enjoyed it!

Please Send all Support Requests to

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:11 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I just finished reading it. It is well done and very informative. Has some great photo's too.

Now I would like to see a book 2 that goes deeper into the science for the more experienced tank keeper.

Great book.
Joe

10 gallon hospital tank.
29 & 50 gallon - High Tech C02 enriched.
50 gallon Pond - Natural.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 03:42 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joetee View Post
I just finished reading it. It is well done and very informative. Has some great photo's too.

Now I would like to see a book 2 that goes deeper into the science for the more experienced tank keeper.

Great book.
Joe
I am glad that you enjoyed it and found it informative Joe!

post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

is it an actual book or virtual?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:32 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by jreich View Post
is it an actual book or virtual?
It is an e-book available online. Adobe Flash (http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/) and an internet connection are required to read it.

post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 07:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

any plans for an actual paper book? BTW from what i did read it looks well put together and very informative / interesting!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:14 PM
Planted Tank VIP

Wasserpest did an amazing job with it. It has been a very long process with months of hard work put in on his part. Definitely not something we put together over night! I just took care of the technical aspects. He really deserves all of the credit.

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 05-03-2010, 08:19 PM
I ♥ BBA!

PTrader: (112/100%)
I read it and I must say Thomas did a fantastic job with the ebook. The pictures alone are beautiful and the information is very useful.

Without Algae, death of mankind would be inevitable.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode