Is buying a 20 long and all the equipment really get this expensive? - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Is buying a 20 long and all the equipment really get this expensive?

These are the things I have researched and was recommended on getting for a 20 gallon long and trying to achieve a planted aquarium:

20 gallon long
aquaclear 30 filter
aqueon pro 100 watt heater
Finnex Stingray led light 30", 16 watt
aquatic fundamentals 29 upright aquarium stand
2-3 bags of eco-complete
fish net
seachem prime
glass cleaner
intake sponge
seachem flourish root tabs
api master test kit
api gh and kh test kit
some 5 gallon buckets
light timer
composite shims(to level the aquarium)
marineland glass canopy
python pro-clean gravel siphon kit
python squeeze siphon starter
digital thermometer to read the temperature of water during water changes
possibly easy green fertilizer

If I add up all of these items, it gets to around $450-500. It seems that it a bit expensive just for a 20 gallon long. Am I wrong on this, and is this a good setup or was I recommended expensive items.

I am aware of things like black diamond blasting sand but not sure if I want to go that route.

Are there better solutions for my dollar and also are these all the items I need for an aquarium or are there a couple more.

I didn't even include plants or fish on the list but is included in the projected amount. I want a big school of 1 species of fish and possibly 1 species of shrimp. So either White Cloud Minnows, Harlequin Rasboras, Amano Shrimp, Cherry Shrimp, and other suggestions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (17/100%)
Are you starting from scratch?having prime fish net just seem like basic stuff.
All items i wouldnt say are expensive.
The stingray is pretty cheap as well as your filter.
You can wait for petcos dollar per gallon sale to get the tank cheaper. But this hobby adds up.
post #3 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by latchdan View Post
Are you starting from scratch?having prime fish net just seem like basic stuff.
All items i wouldnt say are expensive.
The stingray is pretty cheap as well as your filter.
You can wait for petcos dollar per gallon sale to get the tank cheaper. But this hobby adds up.
Yeah this is a brand new setup and I already bought the tank for $20 at the end of the petco $1 per gallon sale a couple weeks ago. I understand this hobby can get expensive. I was just wondering if $450-500 is too expensive for a 20 long. Thanks for the reply.

post #4 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 02:54 PM
Algae Grower

It looks like a good list to me. I have similar things for my 20 long (Except I have more filtration eheim 2213, a current planted plus light, no lid, a powerhead, petco Brooklyn stand). I know it doesn't compare with saltwater fish keeping, but freshwater fish keeping is a deceptively expensive hobby because of all the little things you need to get (plus the cost of the fish and plants). I don't like to think about how much I've spent on the hobby . Some of those things you could reuse if you have multiple tanks.
post #5 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:02 PM

I am just getting started in this hobby, and I am working with a VERY tight budget. I bought used tanks from Craigslist (along with a new 7.5 gallon nano tank that seemed like a good deal, and came with all of the necessary equipment). While it is tempting to throw down a bunch of money right from the beginning, the key to keeping your spending under control is a bit of patience, and knowing which items you can skimp on and which items you need to splurge on.

I have wasted money unnecessarily already, only to do further research and discover a cheaper and better way to do things. As far as tanks go, I've done the right thing by buying used. I have had to put in extra work re-sealing the silicone and what not, but the savings were tremendous.
As far as filtration goes, I've spent a lot of money on high-end canister and HOB filters, only to discover that I should have just gone with inexpensive sponge filters (and I already had air pumps that came with my used tanks from Craigslist).
For substrate, I've gone with Caribsea Eco Complete and Flourite mixed together, and had great results with my plants so far. I have had a few melting episodes with some, but I scour the shelves at Petsmart for marked-down plants, and expect that some won't make it. I've also ordered some online, but found that the bulb-type plants are the way to go if you plan to get them this way. Drsfoster&smith's website is a great place to buy certain items, such as glass canopies, substrate, and driftwood, but Ebay is better for heaters, filters, lighting and other such equipment. Definitely shop around!
I bought an expensive Aqueon water changing system, and have found it to be rather inconvenient to use, so I'm not sure I recommend it. I have gone to simply siphoning water out with tubing into a bucket & refilling from a bucket.
Online shopping is something of a way of life for me, and I am sure that it may actually be an addiction in my case, but NEVER buy anything online without first searching for a coupon code. Set a budget for yourself and shop around until you can get everything you need to fall within your budget.
One thing I can say about this hobby is that is provides a great deal of satisfaction and it has been worth every penny!
post #6 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:02 PM
Algae Grower

i've spent that much just on plants for a 15G before, so ...yeah. that's not that much, the hobby really adds up. which is why most people don't do planted tanks, you need a lot more equipment, you'll spend a lot more money, and you'll have a lot more problems which will cause more money dumps.

but the first time you see a tank come together the way you envisioned it... you'll never look back. ...well, maybe you will now and then. lol.

-nakeeta
post #7 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (3/100%)
Its an expensive hobby.

May be you can save a $100 more on that is it.

Couple of things I would think before buying.

Glass Canopy with stingray LED, there is a plastic strip in the middle which is going to cast a shade unless you care going to rest the light over the glass.
2 bags eco-complete is more than enough for 20 Long.
I would buy a Aqueon/phython Aquarium Water Changer - 25/50 Feet no more buckets lugging.
25% of the amount goes to the stand no escape from that.
Digital thermometers are crap.
Aqua clear 50 would be better, but I am not sure about the intake height some one can chip in here.

Also you can't beat the Amazon prices for some items, so do the research and proceed.

If you are serious in plant keeping I would suggest Finnex Planted+ which I am running in my 20 Long and eco-complete.

20 gallon long 21
aquaclear 50 filter 35
aqueon pro 100 watt heater 29
Finnex Stingray led light 30", 16 watt 57
aquatic fundamentals 29 upright aquarium stand 80
2 bags of eco-complete 45
fish net 5
seachem safe ( same as prime just prepare it) 13
glass cleaner (use any sponge without chemicals)
intake sponge - 2
seachem flourish root tabs - 8
api master test kit - 23
api gh and kh test kit(not necessary now)
some 5 gallon buckets -3
light timer(lowes) - 6
composite shims(to level the aquarium) DIY - 0
marineland glass canopy (don’t buy this it will block all the LED light) - 0
python pro-clean gravel siphon kit (small) - 5
Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet - 33
python squeeze siphon starter - 0
digital thermometer to read the temperature of water during water changes - 0
possibly easy green fertilizer - 0
Dry Fertz for one year 35
Total - 400
post #8 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:05 PM
Planted Member

Are you on tight budget or just wanting to know if you need all those products to have fun in the hobby? My rough estimates added up to $393 without shipping or tax. I took out some items though. I think there are some things you posted that are unnecessary. Get the basics, and after your tank cycles, and with time you'll see what else you need, and what you don't.

20 gallon long - $32.99 or $20 if on sale. Or cheaper if you're patient and can find one on craigslist

aquaclear 30 filter - $30 on amazon. Personally I like the Penguin filters more than AC's. Penguin 150 is $16 on amazon and will serve your purpose wonderfully. The Aquaclear is good too, I have both. Can't go wrong with either.

aqueon pro 100 watt heater - I've never used one on any of my tanks, ever. My temps vary from ~76 to 82 year round. In the wild, fish deal with extreme temperature fluctuations on a day to night, summer to winter basis.

Finnex Stingray led light 30", 16 watt - $56 amazon

aquatic fundamentals 29 upright aquarium stand - nice looking tall stand. Worth the $90. I got my stand off someone on craigslist for like $50, and felt it was very overpriced for the condition it was in.

2-3 bags of eco-complete - $70 - this is one area where it might be worth trying to save $ if you're on a strict budget, try to get black diamond blasting sand.

fish net - $2

seachem prime - $12

glass cleaner - I used cut up microfiber cloths. Since I have acrylic, I can't use razor blades, but those are also very very cheap.

intake sponge - Fluval's is $5 on amazon

seachem flourish root tabs -

api master test kit & api gh and kh test kit - ~$30

some 5 gallon buckets - maybe $5 a piece at home depot?

light timer <$15

composite shims(to level the aquarium) - huh? ??

marineland glass canopy - unnecessary

python pro-clean gravel siphon kit - $20?

digital thermometer to read the temperature of water during water changes - $5

possibly easy green fertilizer - ?

long stainless steel curved scissors, curved tweezers, and 15" straight tweezers - $9
post #9 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:09 PM
Banned

I recommend craigslist amazon or ebay lol because sometimes you find some really good stuff on there also what about tetras? just neon tetras and shrimp would look pretty also is this going to be aquascaped?
post #10 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaBettas View Post
I recommend craigslist amazon or ebay lol because sometimes you find some really good stuff on there also what about tetras? just neon tetras and shrimp would look pretty also is this going to be aquascaped?
Yes, I am going to try aquascaping it and I am very new to it. I want to stay away from driftwood because I had a tank with some and personally didn't like the tea colored water. I know it's safe for fish and some blackwater scapes look good but it isn't for me. I did soak the wood for weeks also.

I would probably go with some rocks but they are expensive.

I like neon tetras, but want to try a new fish I haven't kept. Also neon tetras are more shoaling fish than schooling.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #11 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:38 PM
Planted Member

You can go hiking and find some nice rocks.
BettaBettas and BettaBettas like this.
post #12 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:39 PM
Algae Grower

You may want to add Seachem Excel, depending on what plants you're planning on getting. It's a cheap carbon source that kills algae as a bonus.

Once upon a time I had ludwigia. It disintegrated.
post #13 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:42 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watercrayfish View Post
Its an expensive hobby.

May be you can save a $100 more on that is it.

Couple of things I would think before buying.

Glass Canopy with stingray LED, there is a plastic strip in the middle which is going to cast a shade unless you care going to rest the light over the glass.
2 bags eco-complete is more than enough for 20 Long.
I would buy a Aqueon/phython Aquarium Water Changer - 25/50 Feet no more buckets lugging.
25% of the amount goes to the stand no escape from that.
Digital thermometers are crap.
Aqua clear 50 would be better, but I am not sure about the intake height some one can chip in here.

Also you can't beat the Amazon prices for some items, so do the research and proceed.

If you are serious in plant keeping I would suggest Finnex Planted+ which I am running in my 20 Long and eco-complete.

20 gallon long 21
aquaclear 50 filter 35
aqueon pro 100 watt heater 29
Finnex Stingray led light 30", 16 watt 57
aquatic fundamentals 29 upright aquarium stand 80
2 bags of eco-complete 45
fish net 5
seachem safe ( same as prime just prepare it) 13
glass cleaner (use any sponge without chemicals)
intake sponge - 2
seachem flourish root tabs - 8
api master test kit - 23
api gh and kh test kit(not necessary now)
some 5 gallon buckets -3
light timer(lowes) - 6
composite shims(to level the aquarium) DIY - 0
marineland glass canopy (don’t buy this it will block all the LED light) - 0
python pro-clean gravel siphon kit (small) - 5
Aqueon Aquarium Water Changer - 25 Feet - 33
python squeeze siphon starter - 0
digital thermometer to read the temperature of water during water changes - 0
possibly easy green fertilizer - 0
Dry Fertz for one year 35
Total - 400

Thanks for the reply.

So you think just having no top and mounting the light on the tank is better. I only wanted a glass top to prevent evaporation. Also if I go that route, isn't the filter gonna stick out like a sore thumb?

I was thinking about a water changer but the sink I would use to fill up and empty is in the basement. Would 25 or 50 feet really be enough for that from 1st floor to basement? I also have no idea how it works.

How do you setup HOB filters? Because I figured a aquaclear 30 with an intake sponge for more surface area for bacteria with the added plants be sufficient enough. I would use the intake sponge to prevent plant leaves or shrimp getting sucked in the intake.

You said digital thermometers aren't great. Do you have a better solution in testing the temperature of the water for water changes or do you just play it by hand?

Last edited by Aqua3; 08-27-2016 at 03:48 PM. Reason: added info
post #14 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:49 PM
Planted Member

Open top is the way to go on a planted tank.

Is the tank going to be in the basement or 1st floor?

You put the stuff in, top it off with water, and plug it in. AC can be finicky to get going. Penguins always get pumping on the first try. A pre-filter can be used on any filter intake. Some require more trimming than others to fit.

If you decide to add DIY Co2 in the future, another equipment item is a Maxi-Jet 400 with a Fluval prefilter. Then stick the Co2 hose to the inlet of the power head. This adds water circulation & co2 for your tank.

The regular ole thermometers are great.

Last edited by Albtraum; 08-27-2016 at 04:01 PM. Reason: .
post #15 of 53 (permalink) Old 08-27-2016, 03:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recommend making quite a few changes in the list depending on what level of experience you are currently, as well as where you are wanting to wind up a couple years from now. This is NOT a hobby where one can jump in and go. It takes some skill to just learn to keep fish alive and then when combined with learning to keep plants alive, it can get very difficult to start. Throwing in going higher tech makes it one which I do not recommend to the novice who is just starting. So much depends on things we don't know but there are some basic cost cutters on your list.

Water changes are basic but do not require a ready made and expensive siphon. They can be nice but then I do not use one because I feel I have a better method. You pay for the Python name! When cutting costs, you will find a simple tube from the hardware is a good place to start if you have a drain and faucet handy. Eco-complete is nice but certainly not required and it is very expensive. Consider several of the cheap alternates. Ferts? Depends on how well you do keeping the plants alive. You will likely need some form of plant food but there are many better, cheaper ones. A stand can be as simple and cheap as shopping for a recycled solid wood piece from a thrift shop. LED lighting is a luxury at this point which budget shoppers do not need.
Bottom line might be whether you are more concerned with getting a good job done or the prestige of the whole thing!
TheLugan and TheLugan like this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode