2Likes
  • 2 Post By Albtraum
  • 2 Post By sadchevy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good buy... or no?

So I was browsing around at Petsmart today and came across their Top Fin 50 gallon tank. It's 48x12x18. I do really like the dimensions. It was on clearance for 60% off due to not having the crappy light hood that it normally came with and was already on sale for 116 dollars on top of that, so it only came out to 49 dollars. Quite a good deal.

Only thing that worries me is these tanks not being very well made. Anyone here ever had any problems with them? All the seams and everything looked good though. I'm just concerned about it coming crashing down off my stand one day. It did also say on the receipt under the discount amount "damaged," but I couldn't find anything wrong with it so far and it looked like it hadn't been filled up before. Could it have been possible that the light fixture that came with the setup originally was damaged so that's why it was marked as such?

What do you guys think? I already currently have an Aqueon 55 gallon tank that I have no problems with at all. But moving recently, I'd like to start out fresh with a new tank since I already have the stand and everything. Not sure if I trust the 50G tank though and wonder if I should just return it and avoid any issues.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I bought TWO tanks from top fin , ya, they were good for about a year , yes both of them, but when my plants finally established themselves and i got a carpet, they busted a seam!

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Tapatalk

I planted one tank, it busted a seam. I got angry , returned the tank and replaced it only to have the new one bust on me a year later

Stick with aquarium master brand tanks , or other referd brands from the forum

Last edited by Darkblade48; 08-21-2016 at 08:25 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 09:52 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Top fin tanks are made by AGA. Petsmart just has there name put on them. I have 2-75g TopFin tanks that have been in service now for close to 10 years. Been moved multiple times, rescaped, and any other means of rearranging you can think of and have never had an issue. It's the tetra brand and the other brand petsmart carries, great something that use thinner glass.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:37 AM
Planted Member

Dang this scares me. I don't think I've known the brand/ manufacturer of any of the tanks I've had.
Altheora and Altheora like this.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadchevy View Post
Top fin tanks are made by AGA. Petsmart just has there name put on them. I have 2-75g TopFin tanks that have been in service now for close to 10 years. Been moved multiple times, rescaped, and any other means of rearranging you can think of and have never had an issue. It's the tetra brand and the other brand petsmart carries, great something that use thinner glass.
An associate at the store told me they were just made by Petsmart, not AGA. Anyways problem solved anyways. I returned this tank. Not dealing with it.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

There are only a couple mass manufacturers of glass aquariums, Aqueon/AGA and Marineland/Perfecto. Aqueon is part of a larger network of companies owned by Central Aquatics. They also own brands such as Oceanic, Kent, Corallife, Zilla among others.
On the other side is Marineland, owned by United Pet Group. They also own Tetra, Jungle, Instant Ocean among others.
By comparison over the years, Aqueon/AGA has always had a better reputation for producing higher quality "brand name" tanks.
The easiest way to tell who a tank is made by is to check the fit of the glass tops. Aqueon and Marineland use different standard sizes to fit their trim. This was probably done in order to tell the difference for warranty purposes between manufacturers.
TopFin tanks use Aqueon glass tops and carry a lifetime warranty. As for Petsmart's other brand, Great Choice, I would venture to guess they are rebranded Tetra tanks. Based solely on my observation of the two.
I did this research a few years ago because I was having trouble finding glass tops for a 150g tall tank. The tank didn't have any markings or tags. I went through 3 sets of tops before I found the right ones. The tank it turns out, is a AGA tank. The guy at the LFS swore it was a Marineland, ordered a set of tops, they didn't fit. Then a set of Perfecto, no go. Ordered a set of AGA tops under protest, saying he wouldn't take them back if they didn't fit because it wasn't something he stocked. The lids fit perfect. He admitted his confusion to be in his belief that woodgrain trim was a Marineland thing.
Long story, but in the end, it's amazing the little things that can make all the difference.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

,2x75g, 55g, 40g breeder, 29g, 2x10g, 100g stock pond..........MTS ? Nahhhhhh
Just acquired a 150g tall and a 30g long
Fraternity of dirt #135 join--->

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 11:49 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

That's crazy. I wish a 50 gallon long was a more common size. I've also seen someone that had a 45 long but pretty much had very similar dimensions.

40 long tanks are so uncommon too.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode