No electricity for 4 days - The Planted Tank Forum
 10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
No electricity for 4 days

I'm in Phoenix Arizona. We are doing an addition on our home and our electricity and water will be turned off for four days. I'm taking my fish over to a friends house in a small tank for that time- my question is I have a 60 P with an Eheim 2215 filter. If that tank & filter sits for four days am I going to come back to a stinky swampy mess? The outside temperature the next few days is supposed to be in excess of 105 - not sure how hot it will get in the house. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

If you can get a battery powered air pump, you can remove the filter media, put it in a bowl and run an airstone to keep it supplied with oxygen

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
More than likely I would imagine. I'd see if you could find a decent cheap battery powered air pump and run a sponge filter or two. They will filter the tank,provide water circulation, and oxygenation.

I could only imagine what my tanks would look like after 4 days! That's about your only option IMO, unless you could do several daily water changes.

OR...run a generator non-stop.

Battery pumps for fishing bait is what I've used and it works well.
2RDHEDZ and 2RDHEDZ like this.

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

+2 on the battery operated pump! Put the bio-media (in a bag) from your filter right in the tank on top of the air stone connected to the battery pump. This will preserve the beneficial bacteria in your filter bio-media AND filter the tank water. As such, assuming your temp isn't too bad, the fish could stay home. I'd give it a go and if the temp in the house reaches say 85F, then I'd move the fish to the friends house.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank w/40g sump.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 06:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (16/100%)
can you get/borrow a cheap generator? turn that sucker on and plug everything in for a bit every now and then.

We've lost power here in the winter for a few days and I'd do that w/ our generator just to get the water moving. Temps dropped to 54, but everything came out fine in the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-19-2016, 07:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Lots of small point that will change the way to deal with the problem.
I would say the closed filter will certainly be a mess so I would open it for sure. But then what to do to maintain as much bacteria as possible will depend on how the rest of life works for you. Home a lot, have lots of access to right temperature water? I might leave the media in some type bag hanging in the tank and do water changes to keep a fair amount of bacteria alive.
If that is not an option, are friends tanks available to hang some media. Say hang half in their tanks and then swap out some with them. This may be true test of friendship, though!
A neighbor close enough to run a cord across jut to get power to the tank would be great. I work hard to help my neighbors at any time. That also works for me to be able to lean on them when I need it.
Depending on lots of details like finance, comfort levels, etc, etc, looking into rental generators might make it possible to avoid lots of grief in moving out, moving fish and dumping out the frig?

Last edited by PlantedRich; 08-19-2016 at 07:25 PM. Reason: added
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 12:56 AM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I wouldn't risk it at all. I know a thing or two about extreme temperatures with no power, what with the hurricanes and such, and if you're hitting 105F its going to get HOT in that house. Take the Eheim over to your friends house with the fish and keep it running in a 5 gallon bucket--you'll want to keep those bacteria alive. Take the plants over to the friends house too, as the high temperatures would likely ruin them as well. Then just drain the tank.
Great excuse for doing a rescape.
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:14 AM
Wannabe Guru

I agree with goodbytes. That is way too hot for a tank to be left unattended. Not to mention since there will be construction going on, that means lots of dust and stuff in the air that could end up in the tank.

I'd move the tank to the friends house.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:29 AM
Algae Grower

Can also bag and put the media in the freezer for4 the duration it takes.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:32 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Williams View Post
Can also bag and put the media in the freezer for4 the duration it takes.
What does that do? Beneficial bacteria needs oxygen to survive. How does freezing it help?
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:46 AM
Algae Grower

Smooth, many types of bacteria can go into a sort of stasis when frozen.

That said, I'm with goodbytes on this one. Take it down if you can't get power.

Once upon a time I had ludwigia. It disintegrated.
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 AM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altheora View Post
Smooth, many types of bacteria can go into a sort of stasis when frozen.
I suppose, but if the fish are going to be moved, the bio media needs to go with the fish.

If nothing else, this freezing idea will make for a good experiment. I have a filter coming next week that won't be serving any purpose, so now it does. Cycle it, then freeze the media and see what happens.
Nordic and Nordic like this.
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 03:09 AM
Planted Member

When my 2213 died this is what I did:
Took all the bio media out put it in a media bag and put in the tank with an air stone underneath it. I think It would have been better to suspend the media in the tank Or even put the air stone inside of the media bag. If you have a well established tank the bacteria in the tank, on plants and glass ect should be enough to keep the tank going. I would put a couple of air stones in the tank to keep the water moving, You can buy battery operated ones for about ten bucks . Keep an eye on your perimeters If you get any ammonia spikes and you have fish in there do some water changes with no fish you should be fine with just suspending the bags the water movement will keep the bacteria fed and alive.
But that's just worked best for me, every situation is different, tank size , bio load and what you have accesses to all make a difference. Ive never herd the freezing part I suppose that could work but I would wounder which bacteria could stay alive and which couldn't. In a closed system all the little things mater. I think keeping your beneficial bacteria alive is the most important point that way you don't have to jump start a new filter.

The temp where I live got up to 100 I used frozen water bottles to keep the temp down. You could even buy some ice keep it in a chest and zip-lock bags and put those in your tank.

28 gal low tech
EHEIM PIMP #436

Last edited by hubble13; 08-20-2016 at 03:14 AM. Reason: needed to add somthing
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 03:11 AM
Algae Grower

Smooth, I'm not saying it works--just that some bacteria do it. Worth a shot if you have a spare filter, though! That might be handy to know for a long-distance move or something.

Once upon a time I had ludwigia. It disintegrated.
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 04:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Freezing to preserve bacteria? Sounds very simple so that makes me think it won't work.
The way it normally works for me is the simple things are always well known in the hobby. Not saying it won't work but if it is easy, why have we not heard about it?

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode