Dehumidifiers? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Dehumidifiers?

I am in need to specific recommendations of a dehumidifier from someone with experience. Preferably one I can find on Amazon.
I am temporarily staying with family and therefore living in a 16 x 16 room with 5 40 gallon tanks. It is getting very humid in here and its icky. I can't put any solid lids on the tanks because I keep axolotls and since I am not in control of the homes ac unit the water is already as warm as I am comfortable with.
So, hopefully the humidifier isn't so loud they can hear it down the hall with my door closed. Also I am not rich so I don't want to buy more than what I need but am willing/able to spend what I need to to correct the problem. Help!?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Sorry, no personal experience with dehumidifiers as we find the fish room does a good job of bumping the dry air up to the level we like. But then I might mention another thought that might/might not be worthwhile. Is the high humidity only in the one room or is it something that might be cured by moving the humid air out to other rooms where it might actually make life more comfortable? Dry skin and chapped lips are a complaint with us. I find we often talk about high humidity as bad in the summer but here in Austin, we find it helps to have a bit added. Probably depends on what each feels is "normal" and would depend on all the other folks in the house.
It might be something that could be solved with something as cheap and simple as a small quiet computer fan moving air from the humid room to a different part of the house. Many houses are arranged in a way so that moving air around (circulation) like we do our tank water is a good move. Less than ten dollars to try it as it often does not take a large flow when it is done full time.
But then it may not be what the other folks think at all!!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (15/100%)
Thanks for the reply! I try to leave my door open as often as possible but it's not really feasible because my cat is supposed to be staying confined to my room and my mom says my room stinks because of the cat and my tanks etc. So, unfortunately moving the air out purposefully is out of the question at the moment. Either she or I will be moving out in about a month so its temporary at least. Since the temps are beginning to get near what she keeps the ac at nightly, I'm going to try to open my windows at night some and see if that helps and probably go ahead and go all out and get the 30-50pint dehumidifier. I just need to fix the problem quick

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:46 PM
Children Boogie

PTrader: (13/100%)
Yeah, a dehumidifier will help. High humidity situation will create mold so it's helpful to get a dehumidifier. It's basically an AC unit with a coil to collect condensation. The noise is coming from the fan so it depends on the unit.
You can buy a humidity & temperature sensor at the local hardware store to keep track.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 10:06 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
A dehumidifier will lower humidity but because it's an electric device, it will increase temperature in the room. It may not do all you want, especially since you live in Texas. A window mount air conditioner might be a better choice.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 01:25 AM
Planted Member

Just get the biggest one you can afford and don't pay for extra features you don't need, except for a drain hose unless you don't mind emptying it each day. I use one for drying clothes and they work well in an enclosed room. I agree it will increase room temp for sure.

50g co2 planted tank-lighting: custom leds (cree xml-2)-filtration: 2xcanister-output: lily pipe + co2 atomiser
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:50 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Smell/ odor problems are difficult to deal with and they can certainly cause lots of stress. Sounds like plenty of that already, right?
There may not be a really practical solution for right now. AC? Bills run high. Big dehumidifiers are the same.
Possibly the only alternate is to hunker down, smile as often as possible and change the situation as soon as possible. There are times when we are just stuck with what we have built.
Not being born rich is just the pits but it does give you some real insight on how to treat others.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 06:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

A bit of carbon goes a long way in dealing with smells.

When it starts getting warm here, best bet is to open every door and window before the sun comes up, and close everything down the moment its out. You can get a decent tan at 8 in the morning here. This morning we had massive 2 hour storm, thunder, hail, rain, wind the works, by this afternoon the sun was out and it was quite nice. Think it is going to be an even dryer summer than last year (driest on record since 1904, my maternal grandfather was born in 1902).

I don;t believe there is a cheap way of dehumidifying, you could maybe try those tubs they sell at the grocer with the powder in that pulls moisture and smell from the air. I think they can be dried out when maxed out. People use them in shoe cupboards and wash rooms.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 08:09 PM
Algae Grower

Well the dehumidifier will lower the humidity; this will also make more of the water to evaporate making more humidity! How about an exhaust fan or something of that sort?
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-20-2016, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Is it cool enough at night you could open a window? Then put a fan in the window, facing out. It will pull the warm air out of your room and blow it outside. An electric fan is a lot cheaper than a dehumidifier- but I don't know if it would help enough.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 01:34 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (4/100%)
To add to what PlantedRich said in a previous post, if the humidity itself is not a problem when distributed out into the rest of the house you might consider something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Suncourt-Equa...owViewpoints=0
Not necessarily this one per se, do your own research. This would be the most cost effective thing to do on a full time basis. It would constantly pull air through the duct from the rest of the house even when the main a/c is off assuming the bedroom door isn't sealed up very tight. Most internal doors are not just for the reason of air circulation. When the a/c unit comes on it would dry out the humidity that has been circulated.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-21-2016, 03:41 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah, its much better when the whole house smells like fish room.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode