Your opinion please - The Planted Tank Forum
 17Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your opinion please

Hello!

My daughter and I love the look of aquariums. However, we have no need for fish and, quite frankly, don't have the time for the upkeep that they require.

My daughter recently got a small 2 gallon tank in her room and she decorated it with fake plants, gravel and sea shells that she collected from the beach. She has a colored light illuminating it and it's filled with water. She likes it because it adds mood lighting and relaxes her.

So my question is this - if I get a tank - 3 to 5 gallons - decorate it as if a fish was to be there (fake plants, decor, lights, gravel, etc), don't add fish and put it on display, would it be o.k.? Or would it be pretty ridiculous?

Honest opinions please!

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 06:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Go for it!

Realizing you shouldn't get fish because you feel you can't devote the time needed to properly care for it, is very responsible.

Quite a few people actually have plant only tanks (though they are live and growing). But as long as you like the tank, and whatever benefits it rewards you, then go right ahead.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:16 AM
Algae Grower

Don't see why not plus you're saving a betta life if you really aren't able to take care of it.

I water change in the nude.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:50 AM
Algae Grower

It sounds adorable and wonderful. <3 If (in a month, in a year, whenever) she does decide that she wants a fish or other lifeform in the tank, just get her to clean it out well first and not return the beach shells.

Until then, it sounds fabulous. I hope you both enjoy it and have fun with it!
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 07:56 AM
Planted Tank Guru

You could even use some real aquatic plants if you throw a light on there.
Plants can easily be fed with one of the hydroponic fertilisers found in the gardening department of your local chain store, whithout having to worry about fish health, nor having to spend much money.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:22 AM
Algae Grower

Go for it! And show us a pic

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would not blink for even a minute but then I might go for using what is on hand. Any tank can work so I try what I have to see how it fits my life.
Understanding a few small points may help, though. The difference in care between a tank of water with fake plants and a tank with a couple plants may not be that much!. Think of standing water in a tank and you see it will become stagnant and begin to smell. So water movement and some changing will clear that problem. Algae can still grow on the tank and even fake plants.
So what i get down to is that the difference between a tank of fake plants or a tank with some of the really simple plants is really not much other than an attitude adjustment and a bit of planning.
I know a girl who is super but she is also very prone to upsets in her feelings. She likes to set and look at her plants and cactus are what she likes best!
My advise? Try it, be ready to adjust as needed. Most of us do it all the time but then we also often limit ourselves too much when we think of what's "normal". I keep my tanks because I like what I'm doing and questions of what others might like are pretty low on my list of concerns.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 03:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (1/100%)
Life is short and fleeting,
Whatever makes her heart smile.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 04:46 PM
Algae Grower

If you go the plant route then all you need is sunlight from a window, no need to invest in a light.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:32 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1963158 View Post
If you go the plant route then all you need is sunlight from a window, no need to invest in a light.
This is true I suppose but also a great way to grow algae.

That said, I really like the idea--like others have said, I think it's really responsible that you're being honest about not being able to care for a fish right now. I don't think it's silly at all to have a tank with just some fake plants. I also agree that you'll probably want something, a filter or pump for water flow; stagnant water is no good, no matter what's in the tank. You might end up with pet mosquitoes without something to break up the surface!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 08:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
I'm curious about why someone would ask a forum dedicated to aquariums with aquatic plants growing in them, with tropical fish swimming in them, what we think about a 100% non-planted, no fish "aquarium"? It is like asking a men-only forum what they think about using __________, a women's product.

Hoppy
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-17-2016, 09:08 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppy View Post
I'm curious about why someone would ask a forum dedicated to aquariums with aquatic plants growing in them, with tropical fish swimming in them, what we think about a 100% non-planted, no fish "aquarium"? It is like asking a men-only forum what they think about using __________, a women's product.
I can't speak for OP but I understood it as asking to see if we, "serious" hobbyists, thought doing this to appease a child was somehow making a mockery of the hobby. That, or they were looking for someone who had done similar and the concept of fake plants led them to "the planted tank." Whatever their reasoning, I don't really see a problem with it, or with asking, though. I also don't really get your comparison, we keep boxes of water with plants (live), OP wants to keep a box of water with plants (fake)... Sure, the contents are different but the core concept is the same. Myself and likely plenty others also kept tanks with plastic plants before "graduating" to live plants, it's not like we have no experience (unlike most men with women's products). I doubt there's a dedicated forum for keeping empty aquariums with plastic plants, anyways; what would be a better place for this question?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:08 AM
Planted Tank Guru

If Practical Fishkeeping can feature plastic plant tanks, we should not have a problem with it.
geisterwald and geisterwald like this.

Cape Town, South Africa.

Hi. I'm back.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 02:49 AM
Algae Grower

My first tank was 5.5-gallon start kit. I planted java fern, java moss and SP. "Japan" in it. They grew fast and beautiful. If you have more time, you can even buy 1 or 2 cherry shrimp from local pet store. ~~
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 08-18-2016, 03:48 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
The OP might want a fish tank, but not want to care for fish or plants. She brought up the point that her daughter's tank is relaxing to them. Studies have shown that nature is calming. Even a box of water is natural and can be calming. I love that everyone is being supportive. This is a person who will start with a box of water, see if she likes it and may start getting interested in plants and or fish.

Case in point. My hex tank sprung a leak. My Mom asked if she Could have it. She filled it with silk flowers. She loved how it looked and it made her happy. To each their own.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode