Storm Plan - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (1/100%)
Storm Plan

We had a wicked thunderstorm today and our power went out for 2 hours. I freaked because my husband was home alone and I was at work 1 hour away. My AquaClears HOB sometimes do not start right back...I have to take apart the filter, clean the impeller and give it a flick to get it started. I tried talking my husband through it but he got nervous and couldn't do it,so I wound up drive 16miles home and back at lunch to fix it. So what do all you Floridians/Coasties have planned for hurricane season? I have a portable battery with a car lighter fitting. Do they make air pumps for that? We have a generator but it is hard to convince the family that my 3 tanks need juice over the fridge and AC.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
There are battery driven air pumps that will keep your tanks alive for days and days. You have to be home to hook them up tho. Thses have saved me several times from extended power outages due to ice stroms.

My 65g jungle October rain
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I'll second the battery powered air pump.
I will also suggest a "UPS" for a computer, kind of pricy, but it's "plug and play" and there's no need to be there. It will run my Eheim 2217 for hours, maybe more, I couldn't stand the beeping for more then a few hours during a test run.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:37 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrock View Post
I couldn't stand the beeping for more then a few hours during a test run.
Most of them have a feature that lets you turn off the beeping

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:42 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by patrock View Post
I'll second the battery powered air pump.
I will also suggest a "UPS" for a computer, kind of pricy, but it's "plug and play" and there's no need to be there. It will run my Eheim 2217 for hours, maybe more, I couldn't stand the beeping for more then a few hours during a test run.
Can you elaborate a bit, I have never heard about this before.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:44 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
We have a massive generator that runs the whole house, got a fantastic deal on one shortly after we built the house. Since we were here during the Charley year we definitely weren't going to be without that- we're in such a remote area we don't have highest priority when it comes to restoring electric. But I've also got a few of those battery-operated airpumps, too. Frabill makes some decent ones (or they used to?)

[on a sidenote- when we had that massive wildfire a few years back that came LESS THAN A MILE FROM OUR HOUSE, instead of evacuating like I wanted to, my hubby fired up the generator just so he could watch the season finale of Lost. He's one of those that if I ever evacuate, I'll have to leave him behind... ]

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 09:45 PM
Fresh Fish Freak

PTrader: (70/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmowbray View Post
Can you elaborate a bit, I have never heard about this before.

Uninterrupted Power Sources- basically a big battery. The ones we have at work won't run our computers for more than 20-30 min though, so IDK how much use they'd be in a hurricane when we're typcially w/out power for days if not weeks.

- Next meeting Monday, Oct 13, 2014 @ 7:15pm- See ya there!

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (18/100%)
I remember that. That fire just started when we can down for vacation. We were on Pine Island and we could see the smoke. It looked really bad when we were one the inner coastal and could see more land. Wildfires are always bad, they especially piss me off when you find out that dumb people through a cigarette out the window, or young kids were playing with matches.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode