three CO2 questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
three CO2 questions

First question---I hooked up CO2 to two tanks in the past week or so--one of them has a nano diffuser in it-the other has the CO2 going into the filter intake ( Fluval 205 ) I purchased bubble counters and drop checkers, but I dont have them installed. I can count the bubbles coming out of the tube as they go up the intake of the Fluval and I can count the bubbles as they move through the nano diffuser. Is it safe to use this method vs the bubble counter? I dont see any reason why not, but I thought I would ask.

Second question-- the drop checkers I purchased from that auction site ( they came from Malaysia ) came with a bottle of liquid---the liquid is the same color as the pH test kit that I have ( API kit--burnt orange color ) Is it likely that this fluid they supplied is just pH fluid and not 4dkh as I had assumed would come with the drop checker?

Final question-- Is there any danger in the drop checker fluid leaking into a tank? Im concerned with the fact that I may have purchased an inferior product ( not sure of that-just concerned ) and dont want to kill my fish with carelessness.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (195/100%)
Yes, it doesn't matter what kind of bubble counter you use. They won't give you absolute CO2 measurements, just a visual indication that something is off. If you can see the bubbles going into filter and diffuser, you don't need to install additional bubble counters.

Yes, the orange liquid is pH reagent. You will need to mix your own 4 dkH bubble counter fluid, and add a few drops of that which should turn it blue (initially).

Dunno about the dangers of bromothymol. Just the spelling would want me to keep it away from my fishies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Wasserpest; 04-26-2010 at 06:05 PM. Reason: wrong chemical
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 03:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (76/94%)
You only got indicator, no 4dkh. I never once had drop checker liquid leak form mine. In fact some think it hard to even get it IN the drop checker...

Besides, a few drops of pH reagent is not going to kill your fish. If you don't want to make it, order it from SUmoregulator.com(4dkh).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 05:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
Since you have an API pH test kit, I suggest just using the reagent from that kit. At least you know that one is the bromothymol blue reagent you need. Mixing a usable 4 dKH solution yourself isn't difficult if you have a KH test kit, and some distilled water - sold at most big grocery stores in gallon bottles. And, buying it is the easiest way to get it.

Hoppy
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 06:50 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I don't know if putting the Co2 in the Fluval intake is such a good idea. I might have read something somewere about fluvals stalling when air gets into the inpellar housing. Keep in mind I MAY have read this somewere a while back. I'm not sure of the accuracy of this statement so don't quote me on it. But, it might be some thing to look in to.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Don't know about the Fluval, but putting CO2 into the intake of my C-360 (Marineland) caused it to cavitate and lose prime entirely. Might wanna be careful there......

I believe my stance on this issue to be perfectly ambiguous and illdefined and I see no reason to elaborate further.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (14/100%)
OK--yall convinced me to take it out of the Fluval intake. Fornow, I placed the CO2 tube into the back of my HOB. I know it isnt as efficient there, but I couldnt stand the sound the CO2 bubbles made as they went through the powerhead and I donthave time right now to build a reactor.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode