Bringing My 125 Back to Life - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bringing My 125 Back to Life

Ok here is the situation. About 2 years ago I bought a 125 gallon tank. At the time I had a heavily planted 75 gallon. Dosed and ferts and lights were my 48" Coralife 65x4 for about 3.4 wpg. No CO2. Life was good tank looked great. I transferred everything into my 125. Put the coralife on top as well as a couple 20 watt ordinary fluorescent light fixtures for about 2.4 wpg. So over the last few years my plants have slowly been shrinking. My 4 amazon swords were about 2 feet long are now about 9-10". My bush of deep red ludwigia repens and bright green moneywort is now just a few dull green strands. My perfect Echinodorus Osiris is now barely existing. My low lights plants:anubias and java ferns and moss are really the only plants growing everything else is living but not growing like they use to.

Can I buy lets say another 48" coralife 65x2 for 3.12 wpg? Or do I go CO2? Or more light and CO2? Or something else I'm totally missing?

Don't get me wrong the tank still looks great but again it's slowing shrinking.

Thanks for reading and appreciate the help!

Greg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 02:30 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (84/100%)
That 75 gallon tank was about 20 inches high and 18 inches front to back depth. The light you had gave you medium light intensity, possibly low medium light. As a result you didn't have the light driving the plants to grow so fast that they needed CO2.

If the 125 gallon tank you now have is also 48 inches long, but 24 inches high and 24 inches in front to back depth, the same light fixture probably gives you low light, and less than low light near the front and back glasses. If you added another of those same light fixtures - 4 x 65 watts, with one placed close to the front glass and the other close to the back glass, you should again get medium light, possibly a bit higher than on the 75 gallon tank. So, that should get you about the same conditions you had with the 75 gallon tank.

The watts per gallon isn't a significant number here. What is significant is how many PC bulbs are above the substrate at every point in the tank. The 4 x 65 watt fixture puts two bulbs above the area directly below it. Adding a second fixture lets you provide that same light over a larger area of substrate.

If you replaced the lights with two 2 bulb T5HO fixtures, spaced around 8 - 10 inches apart, you should also get medium light intensity, and pretty uniform over the whole substrate.

Hoppy

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode