Bacterial Bloom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Bacterial Bloom

Hello all!

When I started off my tank I did so using a mix of Ammonia remover, and Carbon in my Aquaclear 30,.. well,.. I removed the ammonia remover, and it caused a bacterial bloom

The bloom has been going on for about a week now, just a slight fogginess to the tank, and I'm starting to wonder if this filter may not be big enough for my tank.

Do you think it would be worthwhile in the long run for me to upgrade from an Aquaclear 30 (rated for a 10-30G tank, using filter sponge only),.. to a Aquaclear 50 (rated from a 20G to 50G) on my 25 gallon tank?

Or should I just wait this out?

Thanks!
Whiskey
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 06:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
uv sterlizer? more water changes. upping the filter most likely not clear your water.

"The odds of winning are the same as being mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day"
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-25-2010, 08:35 PM

PTrader: (3/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whiskey View Post
When I started off my tank I did so using a mix of Ammonia remover, and Carbon in my Aquaclear 30,.. well,.. I removed the ammonia remover, and it caused a bacterial bloom
Sounds like your typical start of tank cycling bloom.

I would just wait it out.

Anthony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Eheim Pimp #362 - Eheim 2213 x2, Eheim 2028, Eheim 2217, Eheim surface skimmer and Eheim autofeeder.
Victor Pimp #33 - HPT272-125-350-4M

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
Hmm,.. So you think a Aquaclear 30 is enough for a 25G tank long term eh?

Cool deal - thanks all! I'll wait it out
Whiskey
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2010, 08:17 PM
Planted Tank VIP

PTrader: (101/100%)
you can upgrade your 30 by adding some ceramic rings or something for your bachters to grow on, even if its just some gravel in a piece of pantyhose. On the other hand a 50 will help to increase the bioload that youll be able to maintain (AKA more fish) by alot more than what you have. To a certain extent bigger is better for filtration just dont over do it. Another option would be to add another 30 to it so you could clean one of them every couple weeks w/o wiping out your good bacteria population.Thats how I do all of my tanks is with two filters. it will also give you more flow.

My 65g jungle October rain

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode